Episode 20

Answer Me 1988 Alternative Ending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode 20

Junghwan

Spring has come for most of us, especially with Sunwoo and Bora noona. They have received approval from their respective parents and are planning to wed this month. Even Dongryong, who no one thought would be able to get a girlfriend, is in a relationship.

***Flashback to Dongryong and Junghwan’s conversation

“What?!” we all screamed. Deoksun’s jaw dropped as in disbelief. Even I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Deoksun hit my arm. “Yah. I didn’t hear this idiot correctly, right?”

“I think you did,” I replied.

Dongryong looked at Taek, Deoksun, Sunwoo, and me and frowned. “Hey. Why is it so surprising that I got a girlfriend? This Dongryong-nim can get a girlfriend too you know.”

We all laughed at the ridiculous thing he had said and started hitting him. “STOP LYING TO US!”

Dongryong screamed, “I’M SERIOUS! I have a girlfriend, heh heh. She’s so pretty and glamorous heh heh heh.”

“Well at least… Dongryong got his… dream girl?” Sunwoo suggested.

Deoksun chucked a pillow at him. “What, those girls from those magazines or whatever that he always read? Yeah right. I feel SO BAD FOR THIS GIRL. Who IS SHE?!”

Dongryong smiled at Deoksun. “You already know her.”

Deoksun’s eyes grew wide open. “WHO?!?!?!?!”

“The girl you called Wang Jo-hyun.”

We all became very very silent. But Deoksun for a different reason.

“WHAT?! YOU LIKE HER?! SHE’S TOO GOOD FOR SOMEONE LIKE YOU?! YOU’RE SUCH A AND OH MY GOD SOMEONE KILL THIS IDIOT. WENYEOL AISHHHHHH!” Deoksun screamed.

“Uh Dongyong… Did your glasses fog again? Who’s pretty and glamorous?” I asked.

Dongryong shook his head. “You guys… especially you Junghwan… don’t know what love can do to you. I thought she was pretty ugly too but she changed…”

Deoksun started beating the crap out of Dongryong. “YOU!!!!! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU IF YOU PUT YOUR DIRTY HANDS ON HER. GOT IT?????!!!!! GOT IT?!?!?!”

               ***Present (1994)

However, the only one of us five who still have yet to even properly confess or move on is me. Deoksun and I… We have yet to solve things nor even talk about what will happen between the two of us. As far as I know, she doesn’t know that I like her back. Idiot.

I go to Taek’s room because Sunwoo, Dongryong, and Taek all wanted to have some time together before I had to go back to my post. Deoksun couldn’t come today due to her flight schedule, so we decided to hang out by ourselves. As I walk in, Taek greets me with a smile. “Hey Junghwan.”

I lightly smack him on the shoulder. “Hey.”

Sunwoo looks over at me and hands me the bag of chips that someone brought. “You want?” he asks. I shake my head to refuse his offer. Dongryong then takes the bag and tries to eat it all in one bite.

“Yah yah yah. Stop eating it like that you’re gonna get sick,” Sunwoo chides. Dongryong just shrugs and keeps doing what he did before.

“Hey,” Taek begins and we all turn to look at him.

“Yeah?” I ask.

He smiles and announces, “I… don’t like Deoksun anymore.” We all freeze because we don’t know what to say. Especially me because I know why he decided to give up on her.

Sunwoo stutters, “W-why? Why all of a sudden?”

“Yeah, you used to like her a lot since… yeah since we were in like… high school!” Dongryong exclaims.

Taek just shrugs and looks over at me. “I don’t know I just stopped liking her. But I know someone that has liked her since we were young.”

I can’t even face Sunwoo and Dongryong right now. Both of them look in the direction Taek is looking at and figure out for themselves. “Junghwan-ah. What is this guy saying?” they both ask.

I sigh heavily and look at them. They are staring at me in disbelief. “Guys… I…”

“WOW… He isn’t for real is he? No he’s lying BOTH OF THEM ARE TRICKING US!” Dongryong wails.

“SHUT UP!” Sunwoo yells at him. “Go on Junghwan.”

“Yeah. Okay. I like Deoksun,” I say. I brace for the yelling and screaming and beatings. I only get silence.

“Junghwan… why did you hide it from us?” Sunwoo asks. I didn’t expect that question.

“Well because—“

“Yeah, man,” Dongryong chimes in. “How hard must it have been for you while we were putting Deoksun and Taek together? We didn’t even know that and… I FEEL SO BETRAYED!!! FIRST SUNWOO WITH BORA AND NOW THIS?!?!?!”

“Oh god. You’re so loud,” Taek mutters. Dongryong shushes him and stares at me with hurt in his eyes.

“Well… it’s not that big of a deal, right?” I offer. Both Sunwoo and Dongryong glare at me.

“Hey. So… what you said… for your confession. That wasn’t a lie?” Sunwoo asks. I nod.

“So you seriously waited for her at the bus and she got you a pink shirt and and all the other things you said that I can’t even remember right now because I’m so flustered and feel so betrayed by what you just said to me?!” Dongryong shrieks. Sunwoo hits him to shut him up.

“Yes. Okay? What is wrong with you two?” I exclaim, starting to get a bit annoyed.

“Then why are you here?” Sunwoo asks. “Go get her you idiot!”

I look at them in disbelief. “You guys… are accepting what I just said? Like not hitting me or accusing me of stealing Taek’s girl or anything?”

Dongryong scoffs. “Yah. Do you think we are that low? You’re our friend. Of course we support you. I mean I’m not saying I understand why you or Taek like her more than a friend but what should I say? There’s Sunwoo over here who likes Bora noona and that’s… Anyways did you seriously think we would say something? When it’s your feelings? I am more hurt by THAT.”

Taek smiles at me. “See Junghwan? What were you so afraid of? Go get Deoksun. You’ve liked her for a really long time.”

I smile at all three of them, not sure of what to say. I had underestimated my friends who would support me for life, no matter what decision I choose, no matter whom I love. My childhood friends.

 

Deoksun

(Pinkfluff99: In this part I am referencing a real airplane crash that occurred on August 10, 1994. No one died and the crew was credited for rescuing everyone safely. Flight path of plane: Seoul to Jeju Island.)

“Deoksun-ah! Hurry up and eat!” my mom calls from the kitchen. I blink a few times because the room is dark. Bora is still sleeping next to me and it doesn’t seem like she will wake up anytime soon.

I go out to the “living room” and sit down in front of the table. I look over at the clock which reads 6:30 AM. “Mom, why did you wake me up? At this time?

She looks at me questioningly. “Don’t you have a flight today? You asked me to wake you up at this time…”

“Oh! I totally forgot! Thanks!” I exclaim. I have to get to the airport by 7:30 AM and Junghwan said he’d take me there since he has a flight at that time too.

After I finish eating, Jung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter