▬ No Rest For The Wicked

An Alpha and A Raven [COMPLETE]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-------------------------------------------

[Rei]

It was after coming back from Kyoto that I feel the sense of longing to see my parents.

“What do you have in mind?” Mark asked as he laced his fingers with mine.

“My parents.”

“Do you want me to come?”

I stare at him for a good whole minute before saying “Yes.”

With a smile on his face, he grabbed the key to his car and safely drove us to the said destination.

-----------------------------

“Hey, Mama, Papa, how are you?” I smiled at their name engraved on the tombstone. “I’m sorry for not having come here sooner,” Sighing tiredly “There’s just a lot going on in the living land.”

“But, business aside, I have someone who I would like you guys to meet.” Glancing between my parents and him, I smiled “Mama, Papa, this is Mark Tuan. My mate.” I look at him as I said those words. I could see the adoration in his eyes grow even more.

He smiled sheepishly towards my parents’ grave as he gave them a small wave “Hi, I’m sure you’ve seen me around a lot. I was going to introduce myself, but I wasn’t sure how.”

I gave him a questioning look before he revealed that he was the one who’s been coming around and take care of my parents’ grave while I was away.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

He shrugged “Out of the three reasons, you tell me. One, I couldn’t find the right timing. Two, you’re too preoccupied. And three, after what happened years ago, I wouldn’t want to visit that moment again.”

I just had to laugh “I’m sorry, but wow, very detailed.” Quickly throwing in my respond “Okay, I agree with the first one because I’m either biting your head off or disappeared to somewhere. No comment for number two, again, because it’s true and I’m so sorry. But, hey, I made it up to you. You could’ve told me after we mated.” I shot him my best don’t-lie-to-me-look.

His eyes wandered far off to the view in front of us before laughing “True, but you didn’t expect me to say ‘Hey, I took care of your parents’ grave while you were gone!’ right after we made up, and possibly ruin the moment, did you?”

Sheepishly smiling at him, I shook my head “No,” and chuckled “I’m sorry that I’m hard to handle.” Playfully batting my lashes at him.

“You’re not that hard to handle,” I gave him the are-you-ting-me look, as he quickly rephrases his answer “Okay, you are, but I accept you as you are. And I'd give everything to have you be with me.”

I don’t know how this even happened, but I managed to turn into one of those bitter girlfriends who reminiscent over an ex – in this case, a dead ex.

“Really? As far as I remember it, you already gave your everything to someone, who’s name I shall not say.”

Mark looks taken aback but took the jab like a man. “Okay, I deserved that. And I advise you to spit out everything you loathe about me now. I can take it.”

I gave him the are-you-sure glance, when he nodded his head, giving me the green light. I beamed my brightest.

“Actually, I’ve said what I wanted in all those times we weren’t together. And I repeat, you were an , a jerk, and an ignorant dip.”

He could only nod his head, leaving me an unreadable expression. “Wow! Okay. I totally earn all of that. So, I’m sorry again for who I was in the past. Even though I thought I could’ve protected you from all the bad things happening.” 

I link my arm with him as we waste a little of our free time in each other’s company as well as in the presence of my parents.

“What was in the envelope?” Mark asked.

I glance around the place first for a sign of eavesdropper and took out the envelope. Unbelievably, ever since I received the envelope, I haven’t open it yet. And I realize it was a wrong move for me to accept the package so soon without doubting it or him who handed me the file.

I am kind of nervous and scared at the same time. Staring at the envelope, I didn’t know what to think of it “I don’t know, actually.”

Mark gave me a baffled look “You haven’t look at it?”

I could only nod my head as a response. “I'm scared of what the contents hold.” Taking lungful of breaths, only to heave out some shaky nervous ones “Is it a trap? Is it my death? Is it my family?”

“Or, it can be a hint of the perpetrator you’re looking for.” He assured me. I hand him the envelope, giving him the green light to open the package.

The sound of the envelope ripped open tugged a chord in me. Mark look at me one more time for assurance. I nodded my head with a soft smile on my lips.

I look at this big file being pulled out of the envelope. He proceeds on opening the file and a photo with a big red crossed-out mark attached to a report was on display. Instantly, I recognize the person in the photo. He was one of the three men who ambushed my trip to Seoul, and who I killed.

Snatching the file off his lap, I placed it on mine and I went through every single report. The reports of three of the men I killed are all here, even photos of their corpse and evidence are attached.

Why did my grandfather keep all these? I asked myself.

As I flip to another report, a small folded paper slid down, catching my attention. Picking it up, I read the contents. It was a letter from my grandfather.

“To my granddaughter, Rei,

If Goray Mamushi handed you this envelope, personally, then know that his family and he are the most loyal and dearest people to me aside from the Raven Ash pack. And I did ask him to give you this package once I’m gone. So, please don’t be wary of anything. You may not trust me or accept the things I’ve thrown at you the past years you were growing up under my roof, but I need you to trust me now. And that everything will make sense soon.

Apart from losing my son, your father, I chose you to take my place for a very good reason, which I’m sure you’re already aware of by now. And your grandmother must’ve told you about when the time you were born. Rei, for the first time in forever, I’ve never been surer that you’re going to lead the Kawaguchi and everyone around you to a great path of future. I’m sorry for being so hard on you, I can’t have you being lenient in front of the family because I for one, knows how greedy and power thirst those people can be.

My heart breaks every time as I watch you suffer through a lot of obstacles. I know I should’ve been the caring and understanding grandfather who you wished I could’ve been after your parents died, or at least try to comfort you, but I needed to break you even more to see your full potential. And Rei, you did, you showed me your dark side and everything you never knew you possessed. However, the result of that made you lose touc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter