Junchan Interview

Dead Men's Stories

Interviewer (I): So, tell us how you met each other.

Chanwoo (C): (shy) It was… sort of…

Junhoe (J): By accident?

C: No, it’s definitely not an accident. So I was looking for this one shop in the city, which I couldn’t find. And then I passed Junhoe and he was like… “Oh yeah, I know that place!”

J: (pout) I was trying to help, ok?

C: (chuckle) He confidently guided me to the shop… Well, he tried…

J: But I couldn’t find it either… (embarrassed)

C: And we ended up lost... (giggle)

J: Well, at least we met each other.

I: (to Junhoe) Weren’t you just trying to hit on Chanwoo?

C: What!? Did you…?

J: (nervous) No, of course not! How could I do something evil like that? (awkward laugh)

I: You totally did, didn’t you?

J: No, I didn’t! Next question!

I: Alright… How did two you end up together?

C: Ah... (embarrassed) That was… We started out as friends.

J: (bluntly) With benefit.

C: How can you say it just like that!?

J: Why not? That’s the truth.

C: Yeah, but still…

J: We did it the first night we met. Chanwoo was like, totally seduced by me!

C: No, I didn’t! You’re the one that got seduced!

J: (sarcastic) Hahaha, funny. I still remember your face got all red when I mentioned , but still said yes anyway.

C: That’s not…

J: You didn’t even know how to French kiss until I taught you.

C: You’re a jerk! (turning away)

J: Ok, ok. (hug Chanwoo) Look, I’m sorry. I was seduced by you too. (kiss Chanwoo’s cheek)

I: But, what made you guys start a romantic relationship?

J: I think it was that one night… We got busy, so we hadn’t seen each other for a while that time. I texted him, intending to meet for …

C: And I said yes.

J: But none of us actually wanted … We just wanted to meet each other.

C: Like, when we actually met, we were just cuddling and kissing and all that, but we were not really in the mood. So we ended up just lying next to each other, looking at each other’s eyes…

J: And it just happened!

I: What happened?

J: The confession. It came out just like that

C: It’s funny watching Junhoe got all flustered.

J: Yeah, right. As if you’re not flustered!

C: Of course I am! That’s a given. But you’re the one that’s always confident. And suddenly, you started babbling…

J: You’re even worse! You couldn’t even say anything! You were just like, “Oh…”, for a good 15 seconds.

C: Well, I couldn’t help it. My brain just stopped working…

I: And how was your relationship, in general?

J: Oh, we fought…

C: A lot!

J: It seems our personality doesn’t really match up.

C: But we always somehow came back together. (hold Junhoe’s hand)

I: What was your biggest fight?

J: It’s hard to say… (look at Chanwoo) But I think it’s the one over…

C: My marriage…

J: Yeah, that…

I: Marriage?

C: Well, I couldn’t come out to my parents… (look down) And I hadn’t had any girlfriend, like at all. So they arranged a marriage for me.

J: Obviously, I opposed to it.

C: And I knew I shouldn’t do it. But I just… (look down) I didn’t know how to say no to them…

J: So we broke up. (comfort Chanwoo) But it’s ok now. It doesn’t matter anymore.

I: What happened?

C: Well, just about a week before the marriage, I finally gathered my bravery and refused to marry. And, of course, they couldn’t accept my refusal… So I left… (pause) The first thing I did after that was to find Junhoe.

J: Except I already left, somewhere far away. You know, the typical bad breakup’s outcome.

C: We didn’t meet each other again until about two years or so…

J: You know, it’s actually quite funny how we met again. (smirk)

C: Yeah, I was travelling. And, once again, I was lost…

J: And it was just like our first meeting all over again.

C: Except this one had way more tears and kisses. (shy smile)

I: You made up straight away?

J: Oh, we made out straight away. (nudge Chanwoo)

C: Are you always this shameless? (sigh)

J: Anyway, yeah. After knowing that Chanwoo didn’t get married because of me, my heart just… I felt like I can laugh all day long. The joy definitely outweighed all the pain that I had to endure during that two lonely years.

C: And I’m actually surprised he just forgave me straight away. I thought he would play hard to get or something.

J: After not seeing you for such a long time, I couldn’t make myself play hard to get even if I wanted to.

I: (to Chanwoo) Did you reunite with your parents?

C: Yeah, eventually. But I cannot say that our relationship returned to how it was before. I mean, we started contacting each other again, yeah. But there was still that tension in the air. (sad)

J: (comfort Chanwoo)

I: Alright, let’s lift the mood up. Tell us your most memorable moment as a couple.

C: Well, obviously when we reunited.

J: But other than that… Let’s see…

C: For me, it’s when I got hospitalized. For some injury.

J: Is that memorable!?

C: Well, maybe not for you. But for me it is.

I: Why?

C: It would be obvious if you were actually there. The amount of attention that Junhoe drowned me in was just… astonishing. I mean, he is never the type to show too much affection, (cough) except on bed (cough).

J: Hey! You make me sound like a bad person.

C: Because you are! Anyway, for that period, he was pretty much next to me all the time. Always bombarding me with, “Do you need anything?”, “Do you want to eat something?”, “Let’s go somewhere after you get out?”, “Why can’t I be the one that get sick?”, and so on.

J: (sigh) I sounded like an overprotective mom…

C: Not only that, he brought me fresh flowers every single day. He even got me a lot of stuff so I won’t get bored while he was away working.

J: Oh, right that’s when I gave you…

C: The ring! (show finger) I still remember the whole scene. “If you die, wear this to your grave so you’ll remember me.” Oh! So, romantic! (touch heart)

J: I said that!? How on earth… That’s so cheesy…

I: Did you regret that?

J: What!? No! Of course not! Chanwoo really is the one that makes me go all weird, (smirk), so that things happen.

C: I am that type of person. (proud)

I: May I ask; did you have any other big hardship outside of that marriage fight?

C: Pet fight!

J: Oh, that… (sigh) Now I think about it, that was silly.

C: It does indeed! I wanted a dog, he wanted a cat. So, naturally… we fought to dead defending our favourite animals!

J: Of course! Cat-lovers pride!

C: You can go to hell with your cold uncaring cats! I would stay warm with all the puppies in the world!

J: Hey! Cat is not bad! It’s just your type of people demanding too much attention from your pet!

I: Ok, ok. Calm down… (get ignored…)

C: As if! Dog is the best! Cat will go extinct before you know it!

J: Hey, that’s dirty! You’ll regret saying that!

I: Ok, that’s enough! We got it!

C&J: Sorry…

I: How did you resolve that?

C: I ignored him for a full week.

J: Hey! I’m the one ignoring you.

C: (roll eyes)

J: Anyway, after a whole week of no communication, the anger just piled up… as testosterone.

I: Hmm? (confused)

C: We got , basically.

J: But no one giving up first.

C: Well, eventually, we both just go, “Whatever! Let’s agree to differ and !”

J: And we ended up not getting any pet.

I: That’s an amazing conflict resolution skill… I guess.

C: Told you that we always came back together no matter what.

I: Now, this may get a bit… gloomy. But may I ask about your death?

C: I died in a plane crash. I was having a work trip, and the return flight just crashed. (sigh) I guess it can’t be helped. This kind of things happen from time to time.

I: (to Junhoe) What about you?

J: (sigh and long pause) I died from a car accident. A few weeks after Chanwoo died.

I: How?

J: I was depressed… I drank a lot… Then it just… It just happened… (sigh)

C: (hug Junhoe) You know; you should just live your life after I passed away.

J: How can I? It’s not the same without you. (getting teary)

C: There, there. Don’t cry.

J: Besides, it would be our 10th anniversary together the next month… And I knew you got jealous because all your colleagues were already married. So I was planning to finally propose… If only you didn’t die…

C: (hug harder, patting Junhoe’s head)

J: If you didn’t die… (cry) I could give you a proper relationship…

C: (getting teary) Our relationship is proper as it is… Marriage is just a certificate; I can live without it.

J: But you wanted one… And I couldn’t give you one…

C: Look… I’m ok… I love you as it is. Marriage isn’t that meaningful.

J: But… You’ll be happier with it, right?

C: (wipe Junhoe’s tears) I’m the happiest with you. (hold Junhoe’s hands) No matter what the status. Now, stop crying.

(long pause letting them recover)

I: That’s true love right there… Alright, one last question. After living your whole life, what do you now think of each other?

C: Junhoe will always be my one and only. Even if we fought a lot, even if we couldn’t decide on a pet, he’ll always be the perfect one for me.

J: (giggle) That’s cheesy.

C: (smirk) And that’s the smile I lived for.

J: Only for you. Only for you. (give Chanwoo a soft kiss) As for you, you will always be my adorable little princess. (smile)

C: I told you not to call me princess!

J: Why? It fits you!

C: No, it’s not! I’m a boy! Just because I bottom doesn’t mean you can call me ‘princess’!

J: (pout) Alright, what about ‘master’? Oh, master! Tell me your deepest desire!

I: We better cut it out here…