008) Take my Seat

100 Ways to Say

Kyungsoo was in a rush today. He stayed up late last night helping his best friend, Chanyeol, plan and prepare a small sweet dinner for his boyfriend, Baekhyun. Baekhyun was a diva, but he was not picky with food. That was something the gigantic goof he called his best friend had a difficult time understanding as he tried to help him plan out the perfect anniversary dinner. Kyunsoo sighed in exasperation at the thought of last night’s events as he ran to class.

‘I sometimes wish I didn’t pick vocal performance as my major. I mean, why the hell are the dorms so far away from the music department?’ Kyungsoo thought.

Kyungsoo quietly slipped into class just as the professor walks in. He sat in the back. He groaned quietly when he realized that he was not wearing his contacts. He tried to listen in as he searched his backpack for his glasses.

“,” He cursed quietly at himself when he realized that he had left his glasses at home too. He can see forms and shapes, but trying to read the type on a projector screen or the chicken scratch on the board gives Kyungsoo a headache.

‘ing , Chanyeol. You can’t hear me, but I’m blaming you for my misfortunes today.’ Kyungsoo thought as he tried to write down what his professor was saying. He shakes his head and sighs.

If Kyungso were to be honest with himself right now, he could not find it in himself to be mad at his friend. If anything, he is quite envious of him. It is not something as trivial as his friend’s height or natural good looks. He is envious of the relationship his friend has. He can only dream of being in a relationship. When Chanyeol finally had the guts to ask out Baekhyun, Kyungsoo felt proud and self-loathing at the same time.

‘I wish I could be as brave as Chanyeol. . . But who am I kidding?’ Kyungsoo thought.

After an hour and a half long, boring lecture, Kyungsoo was the first to rush out of the class. Just as he was about to head back to his dorm to retrieve his contacts, he ran into a sight he was not expecting to see until much later. Kyungsoo went back around the corner and ran into a vacant classroom. He looked out the small window to catch a glimpse of that smooth, dirty blonde head of hair pass by. He did not have to feel his chest to know his heart was beating fast and hard. He could hear it, and he was pretty sure that the people outside could hear it too.

“Damn it, why do you do this to me?” He said to himself in a soft whisper.

When Kyungsoo was sure his heart rate had returned to normal, he straightened out his appearance and walked outside of the classroom. Forgetting all about his contacts, he walked outside into the crisp, cool air. He takes a deep breath before reaching for his phone in his backpack. Just as he was about to pull up his contacts, a sleek, black car came into view within his peripheral. Looking up, he noticed that the person that he was trying to call was the same person who stopped in front of the building to drop off his boyfriend. He watched Baekhyun step out of the car and continue to talk to his boyfriend as the dial tone rang in his ear.

“Kyungie? What’s up?” Chanyeol asked. Just as he was about to say something, Kyungsoo noticed Baekhyun walking up to him with a gentle smile. Kyungsoo smiled back as Baekhyun sat beside him on the steps.

“I found a Kyungie, Yeol!” Baekhyun said aloud. Kyungsoo cringed slightly at the boisterous laugh coming from his phone. Chanyeol waved over Kyungsoo and Baekhyun gently nudged him to go to him. Kyungsoo smiled in appreciation at Baekhyun.

“Do whatever you want with him. Just get him to me by six. He says he has a surprise for me.” Baekhyun said. He blew a kiss at his boyfriend before rushing up the stairs. Chanyeol pretended to catch the kiss and hold it to his heart. Kyungsoo looked at his best friend with an incredulous look. Chanyeol smiled dreamily as he put the car on drive.

“Wipe that ugly look off your face. I’m not letting you drive this car intoxicated. I haven’t even closed the door yet.” Kyungsoo said with a scowl. Chanyeol chuckled and rolled his eyes.

“Someone’s jealous!” Chanyeol said in a sing-song voice.

“Oh, shut up. . . I just saw Kai in the hallway and I’m really freaking out,” Kyungsoo said, sinking himself further into his seat. Chanyeol smirked at his best friend’s reaction as he proceeded to drive them to their usual hangout.

“So, what happened?” Chanyeol said as they took a seat in a secluded booth near the back of the café.

“I’m not sure myself. Kai usually doesn’t come to the music department until later in the day. He just showed up out of nowhere,” Kyungsoo said as he laid his head on the table. Chanyeol called over the waiter, their friend Joonmyeon.

“Hey, Myeon-hyung! Hook us up, please?” Chanyeol said. He jutted his chin out towards the depressed looking Kyungsoo before turning his attention back to Joonmyeon. Joonmyeon’s eyes shone with sympathy as he quickly went back to the counter to start on their order.

“What did you do about it though?” Chanyeol asked. Kyungsoo let out the most garbled, inhuman noise as he sat up straight, his cheeks flushed from embarrassment as he thought back to what he did. His reply was a low and soft noise. Chanyeol leaned closer to hear what he said, but only heard almost inaudible noise.

“What was that, Kyung? I couldn’t hear,” Chanyeol said. Kyungsoo frowned at Chanyeol before letting out the longest sigh.

“I turned tail and hid in a classroom,” He said louder. He quickly checked around to see if others heard his response. He sighed in relief before reaching over and punching Chanyeol.

“What was that for? I actually couldn’t hear,” Chanyeol said as he rubbed his bruised arm.

“Oh god, I can actually hear the pout in your voice,” Kyungsoo said in distaste before leaning back in the chair and sighing.

When their food and drinks arrived, the two talked, more like Kyungsoo doing all the groaning and Chanyeol listening and translating the groaning to understandable Korean. The two talked until they only had fifteen minutes before Kungsoo had to get to his next class.

“Thanks for listening,” Kyungsoo said quietly as he closed the car door. Chanyeol smiled softly before driving back to the dorms to prepare the anniversary dinner he had planned. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo slowed his steps to class. He wanted to prolong the inevitable for as long as he could.

“If I see him again, I’ll just freak,” He said to himself, his voice was low and almost inaudible. He stopped just short of the door and peered inside. Inside the classroom, he noticed that the only seats available were the ones towards the back. What caught his eye, though, was the Adonis of a man he’s been crushing on. There in the front row was Kai. His dirty blonde was slightly gelled and styled into a messy up do. He was sitting in the seat in the front beside his best friend, Oh Sehun. Kyungsoo sighed at his predicament before trudging into class.

As he approached the steps, he was stopped by Kai. The younger scanned his appearance from head to toe before settling back on his eyes. Kyungsoo felt uncomfortable and nervous under the male’s gaze, but he showed no indication of discomfort whatsoever.

‘If I didn’t know any better, I’d say he was mentally undressing me,’ Kyungsoo thought.

“Hey, hyung? You’re not wearing your contacts?” Kai asked. Kyungsoo tilted his head at the question.

‘How’d he know I wear contacts?’ Kyungsoo thought.

“Uh. . . I kinda forgot them at the dorm, and it was too late for me to turn back,” He said. Kai nodded to himself before turning to Sehun. Sehun watched him make a weird hand signal before he himself sighed and went to the seat in the back.

“Here hyung, take my seat,” He said as he gestured towards his seat. He took his stuff and placed on the desk Sehun was sitting in previously. Kyungsoo’s already wide eyes widened some more at the kind gesture from his slightly rebellious dongsaeng. Kyungsoo found himself smiling none the less before sliding into the seat offered to him. Kai also slid into the seat beside him, smiling to himself, as he pulled out his phone. He received a message from his group chat and tapped on the notification to see a rapid influx of messages popping up from both Sehun and Baekhyun. He rolled his eyes at the multiple “I told you so” or “This is my mood” before shutting his phone off in class.