Hwang Zitao

The Boyfriend List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ZITAO

-

(but he was using me.)

NORMAL

"I'm sorry...I just...I can't do this anymore...," a girl with a petite frame and short hair said. She had fresh tears sparkling in her eyes, but she didn't want to show the one before her that she was crying. So, instead of looking him in the eye, she was looking down, staring at the ground beneath her. 

And, the one who stood in front of her goes by the name of Hwang Zitao. From what he can tell, he was currently getting broken up with by his girlfriend of six months. He thought that everything was going well between the two of them. They told each other everything - they trusted each other. 

So...Why? Why is she doing this?

He wanted to ask her, but his words were caught in his throat. He wanted to know what happened between the two of them that she had the urge to even utter the words 'I can't do this anymore' out of . 

He just needed to know her words - even if she was lying. 

But, he didn't have the chance to say anything, because...she was already gone. 

It has already been two weeks since what happened with Kyungsoo.

The good news is that he's no longer suspended, but the bad news? He moved. 

His parents thought that there were too many toxic people in Kyungsoo's life. They couldn't deal with the fact that their precious angel of a son got into a fight, so they moved to Busan. 

Joohyun was quite saddened when she heard it. Before, she thought that her good luck couldn't run out just yet. But, she was so wrong. 

Though, she knew that shouldn't dwell on it, and just focus on what's going on now. 

Of course, she had to tell Seulgi what happened. She wasn't as mad as she thought she would be. She just wanted to know if Joohyun was okay - that's all she cared about. 

Anyways, since Christmas has already passed, the school is planning a New Year's party. Since Joohyun has very excellent grades, the principle chose her to be in charge of everything that was to happen for the party. It was a lot of pressure for just her to do, so she asked if Seulgi can be in charge with her. The principle accepted, and two were now in charge of committee. 

Students were able to sign up to help for the party. Surprisingly, there were a good load of students who signed up, which was music to Joohyun's ears. 

However, what she didn't know was that a certain someone named Zitao took an interest in her from afar. Her long, amber hair (almost brown because the dye was slowly washing out) caught his eyes. Her small body reminded him of his ex, and just from looking at her, he knew that she was the one. 

So, Zitao decided to sign up for committee as well, just to get closer to whoever this beautiful girl was. 

The next day, he saw that he joined, and he was quite overjoyed by that. Finally, he went up to Joohyun and tried to initiate a conversation with her. 

"Okay, Sunjae, put that table over there. No, in the corner...Good. Wait, no - a little to the right. Okay, perfect!" Joohyun and Seulgi were instructing different students on what they do and where they should put things. 

After it seemed like Joohyun was done, Zitao came up to her with a smile. Joohyun noticed him and smiled welcomingly. "Hello. Who are you?"

"Ah, I'm Zitao. I signed up for committee," he responded. Seulgi was behind the two of them, and she noticed how Zitao lovingly looked at her. She grinned, thinking that Joohyun can finally get a damn boyfriend.

Joohyun nodded. "Okay, uhm...Can you put this banner up then?" She took a large banner from the box that said Happy New Years' on it and handed it to the man. Zitao took it with a nod. 

When he left to do what he was instructed to do, Seulgi came around from behind Joohyun with a smirk on her face. Joohyun saw this and groaned, knowing exactly what she was thinking. "Ooooh, seems like Zitao likes ya!" Seulgi said, wiggling her eyebrows. 

Joohyun rolled her eyes. "No, don't even think like that, Seulgi. He was just asking what to do, okay?" She walked past her friend to continue telling different students what to do. Seulgi shook her head at her best friend's antics. 

It was six in the afternoon by the time the committee team was done for the day. 

Joohyun and Seulgi were talking to each other while packing the rest of their belongings together. However, when Seulgi looked up, she saw Zitao making his way over to the two, more specifically, Joohyun.

Seulgi's eyes widened and she elbowed her friend beside her to get her attention. Joohyun looked over with a frown. "What?" Seulgi discreetly pointed to her left where Zitao was.

Joohyun glanced in that direction, to indeed, see Zitao. She smiled small. "Oh, hey. What's up...Z-Zitao, was it?"

Zitao nodded. "Yep. I had a lot of fun today; I hope we get done with this quickly, right?"

Joohyun chuckled a bit. "Of course. Do I need to help you with anything?"

Suddenly, Zitao gave off a nervous vibe. His eyes trailed to the side as his lips quirked in a sheepish smile. "W-well...," he cleared his throat. "I know we barely know each other and all-" Seulgi elbowed Joohyun again and she growled at her "-but I was wondering if you want to...I dunno...go out to lunch with me or something...?"

Joohyun, in the least, was quite shocked. But, she knew she was going to get a lecture from Seulgi later saying "I was right" and blah blah blah. Though, she could use this. Zitao seems really nice, and it doesn't hurt that he's not bad looking either.

Seulgi, on the other hand, was squealing and urging her to go ahead and say yes already.

Joohyun laughed and turned back to Zitao. "I would love to," she said with a smile.

Zitao's face brightened as a grin spread ear to ear. "Oh, thank you so much!" he gushed. Joohyun giggled and nodded. "So...Are you ready?"

Joohyun glanced back at her friend for her approval. Seulgi pushed her towards Zitao, saying, "Go have fun, kids!"

"I'll call you later," Joohyun responded as the two started walking off.

"You better, Missy!" 

Seulgi watches the couple walk out of the school with a content smile on her face. Then, when she couldn't see the two anymore, she turned around and continued gathering her belongings together. 

Zitao and Joohyun arrived at a cafe just down the street from the school. They seated themselves at a small table to get a bit comfortable. 

It was silent for a few moments until Joohyun decided to bring up a topic. "So...What grade are you in, Zitao...?" she asked softly with a gentle smile. 

Zitao smiled a bit back, and opened his mouth to answer the question. "I'm in tenth grade. I assume you are as well?"

Joohyun nodded in agreement. "Yep. It's strange...I've never really seen you around. Or, perhaps, I just don't pay attention much." She giggled briefly to herself. 

Zitao chuckled lowly. "I don't like to be in everyone's view, as I like to say. I try to keep a low profile."

Joohyun felt the same way. She hated being the center of attention. From class presentations, to speaking to a large group of people - it gave her upmost anxiety, and she dreaded every second of it. So, she finally responded, "I know how you feel. But now...It's like everyone knows about me, and it makes me so uncomfortable."

What she was saying was true. Ever since what happened with Minseok, it was like she was always talked about. And, it didn't help when Sehun came along. Wherever she went, she felt looks and heard whispers. Everyday that she went to school, she wanted to dig herself a hole and slowly rot in it. 

Zitao raised an eyebrow. "Oh, wait..." He widened his eyes as they lit in recognition.

Joohyun blinked, confused. "Wait - what?"

"You're the girl who went out with Sehun, right?" he asked, a bit of excitement in his voice. 

Joohyun deflated a bit at the name Zitao produced. "Yes, but...It didn't exactly work out..."

Zitao's brow furrowed. "Oh...That really ...If it makes you feel better, I went through a similar situation as well...You see, my girlfriend and I just broke up...It's been a bit hard..."

Joohyun gave him a sympathetic expression. "No, I should tell you that...Me and Sehun weren't going to last anyways, and I knew that...I hope you feel better soon, alright, Zitao?" She gave him a smile that warmed up the blood rushing in his veins. 

Not only was she absolutely stunning, but she was also incredibly kind and considerate. 

I made the right choice, he thought, already knowing what he's going to ask her. 

"Joohyun...Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"Wait - WHAT?! He actually asked you out?!" Seulgi exclaimed, her almond eyes wide in surprise. She was definitely not expecting that. She thought he'd maybe wait a few more days, but he just went for it. I should be more like him... Seulgi frowned at the thought. 

Joohyun, who was on the other line, was as flustered as ever.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter