Kim Jongin

The Boyfriend List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JONGIN

-

(but I liked him.)

JOOHYUN

For three weeks, I was unable to do anything. 

Every day, afterschool, I would come home and trudge to my room, ignoring Mom who greeted me. I would go under my blankets and act like ice, cold and frozen. And, on the weekends, I would stay up for countless hours, looking at movies or staring at my computer screen with ice cream at my side. 

But, finally, I'm able to get out of my terrible, and as Seulgi says, depressing slump. It was Saturday as I've checked, since I completely lost track of time. I realized that I haven't been to dance class in nearly a month, so I ask Mom to take me there. She's glad to see my brightened mood and agrees to it. 

When we arrive, I thank her. 

"Remember to have fun, Joohyun," she says with a soft grin. 

I nod. "I always do here." 

We bid goodbye and I begin to walk into the dance studio. I have my blue duffel bag in hand that has an extra pair of clothes, water, and other things. I step through the door to see familiar faces. I haven't been here in so long, it seems so weird to me now. Everything looks foreign. Back then, this studio used to be my second home. Whenever I was stressed or just wanted to clear my mind, I would come here in the middle of the night, play some of my favorite songs, and dance until my body gave out. I remember when I danced so much that I passed out, and one of the dancers here had to take me back home. Those were such simpler times. 

"Aye, Joohyun, you've finally woken up from the dead, huh?" a guy who goes by the name Daehyun asked, his grin brighter than the sun. 

I chuckled, throwing my duffel bag to the side. "It's been rough lately," I respond, pulling my hair back into a ponytail. 

Minhee, another dancer here, gave me a skeptical look. "Oh, really? How so?"

I groaned. "I don't even want to talk about it."

"Boys, right?" Minhee teased, a smirk growing on her pale face.

Daehyun stuck out his tongue. "Not this again...," he complained.  

Hot blood rushed to my cheeks. "Uh, n-no!" I lie right through my teeth. I don't even want to think about boys. They cause heartaches and headaches. I can't deal with it anymore. 

Minhee giggled as she ruffled my hair. I whimpered. "Awww, you're so cute, Joohyun!" 

"Minhee...," I whispered, glaring at her. 

Daehyun stood up. "Uhm...I don't want interrupt whatever...that is, but I heard that we're getting some new guy." 

Minhee turned towards Daehyun. "Woah, really?"

I raised an eyebrow. A new dancer here? I start to wonder briefly who he is, until the door opens. Everyone glances back, only to see the dance teacher.

"Hello class," he greets. We greet back with various 'hi's', 'hello's', and 'what's up's'. He smiles gently. "I'm sure most of you have heard that we are getting a new dancer here. Please greet him well. Let's make sure he feels at home here, alright?"

"Okay!" we chorused. 

The dancer teacher chuckled. "Good. Now, please enter..." 

My eyes immediately caught onto who this new dancer was. They widened considerably at the first sight of him. 

Kim Jongin. He's apart of Baekhyun's and Chanyeol's clique. A sour taste roamed around in my mouth. I hope he doesn't cause any trouble, but I know that won't be avoided. Everyone from that clique starts unnecessary drama, except Joonmyeon, of course. 

Jongin stood in front of the class, a blank expression on his face. And, when he noticed me, he looked slightly disarranged before going blank again. I crossed my arms. I have to watch out for him. I don't want to get pulled into his games, like what Chanyeol did to me, which I would never forget. 

"Everyone, this is Kim Jongin, our newbie. Treat him well." 

Jongin just stood still, staring at the wall behind where I stood. After a few moments of silence, we all began to get settled. I could feel Jongin's beady eyes burn holes into my back. And, when I heard someone come close, I knew it was him. 

I didn't even bother to look up as I sort through my things from my duffel back onto the dance floor. "Can't believe you're talking to me. Shouldn't you be disgusted?" I snort out, staring down at my empty bag. I can't bare to look at him, especially when I remember all of the times him and the rest of his conceited friends made fun of me. Anger boils inside of me. 

"I'm just going to ask one question," he simply states. I don't answer, and I still don't look up. "Why are you here?" 

Shocked, and a bit offended, I finally face him. He looks almost confused, so I know it's a serious question, and that peeves me off even more. "Why else would I be here, genius?" With that, I grab my water bottle and walk over to Minhee and Daehyun who are giggling about some joke. At least they can help ease my boiling blood. 

When I sat next to Minhee, she asked, "What was that all about?" 

I raised a curious eyebrow at her as I take the cap off of my water bottle. "What do you mean?"

Daehyun frowned. He reached over and shoved me lightly. I furrowed my brow. "Don't act dumb! You were talking to the newbie."

The end of my mouth quirked up. I put the bottle to my lips, feeling the cold water contact the skin. "Didn't know you were the one for gossip, Daehyun."

It was Minhee's turn to shove me over, which almost made me spill the water all over my shirt. I scowl at her, shouting, "Hey!" 

"Joohyun, this is serious!" she exclaimed. She glanced at him for a spilt second, and so did I. He was stretching his legs and arms, and he seemed in deep concentration because his eyes were securely closed shut. I quickly looked away. "Is he a friend? A classmate? Or..." She smirked and I felt faint already. "...Is he the boy that has been giving you problems?"

While Daehyun grimaced, I just groaned loudly. "No, he's not, Minhee. Stop making assumptions," I grumbled, taking another sip of my water. "He's a jerk, and I want no part of him." 

Minhee blinked, and she looked like she wanted a more concrete response, but I didn't want to say anymore. "Oh, I see..."

"Alright, everyone! Jongin here said that he has a dance that he'd like to show everyone!" the dancer teacher announces, garnering the attention of everyone around him. I leaned into the the wall in front of me as I settle in between Minhee and Daehyun. Jongin stands in front, his back faced towards us as he’s in front of the mirror, staring at himself. I, honestly, don’t even have any expectations for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if his routine is as mediocre as a kid just now starting to dance.

Then, a soft piano-like sound resonates through the room. We’re all silent, waiting for him to start. I just keep drinking at my water, waiting for this to be over already.

 

However, after seeing how fluid and smooth his movements were, I want to slap myself at making assumptions about how good or bad his dancing is. Oh, was I wrong. Jongin is one of the best dancers that I’ve seen in a while. The way he raises his arms and legs to the beat of the music - and you can tell how passionate he is about dancing just from his expression. That small smirk he makes when he does some type of bizarre move leaves me almost breathless. How his dark hair falls into his eyes so perfectly, how sweat glistens his every pore...I can’t look away.

 

But, to my dismay, the music stops, and I’m brought back to the world. Everyone starts clapping and cheering and throwing their shoes at him. He laughs bashfully, his eyes turning into a smile itself. Minhee and Daehyun squeal at how cool he was, and wishes they can dance just like him. But, I can’t even clap back or cheer with the rest of them. I just stare at him in amazement. I feel like I’m going to hate myself for saying this but...I want to get to know Kim Jongin more, despite everything he’s done to me.

 

And...I hate myself already.

After two weeks have passed, I find myself becoming more and more infatuated w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter