Kim Minseok

The Boyfriend List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINSEOK

-

(but it was a rumor.)

JOOHYUN

"When will Wendy realize how much I feel about her?" Seulgi sighed out, twirling her pencil between her two fingers lazily. Her chin was in her open palm, staring out the school's window. 

I narrowed my eyes at her. "What are you talking about? I thought you two knew about your feelings for each other."

Seulgi closed her eyes. "Shh. You're ruining my moment."

I rolled my eyes at my friend. The more she talks, the more I wonder why I'm her friend in the first place. 

It has been two weeks after the "Joonmyeon incident" (as Seulgi likes to call it). The air outside was freezing as the holidays were just around the corner. 

Joonmyeon and I have been friends ever since the day he asked for us to. He's such a sweet-heart; I really can't help myself. Every time I see him, a smile automatically comes on my face. He makes me laugh with his cheesy jokes. He makes me blush from his kind words. I don't regret being his friend at all.

I finally feel like my life is back to normal. 

Then, the classroom's door opens. In comes the Asian History teacher, clapping his big hands together rhythmically. "Alright, class, butts in seats!" 

Seulgi hops up and rushes to her chair across the room from where I am. Everyone else does the same. 

"So, today, I've decided to give this class a project!" the teacher, Mr. Choi, announces with a smile. 

The class groaned. 

"Really?! You've got to be kidding me!" Baekhyun exclaims. The rest of his group, except Joonmyeon, agrees. Joonmyeon just tries to shush them.

Mr. Choi shakes his head. "Why would I joke about that, Mr. Byun?"

"Because you hate us!" Chanyeol adds. Joonmyeon's shushes get louder. 

The teacher chuckles lowly. "Of course I don't hate my lovely students." 

Everyone scoffed and barked sarcastic remarks at him. 

"Anyway, I want to give you all a project. This will be a partner project." The class beams, ready to pick their partners. I glance at Seulgi whose bright smile blinds me. "And, no, you won't be picking your partner." Everyone slumps down, deep frowns contorting their faces. 

Mr. Choi digs behind his desk and pulls out a hat. It's upside-down and filled with little slips of papers. "I will be choosing from his hat. The two people whom I choose for each group will be partners."

Everyone starts whispering. I'm a bit curious myself. Hopefully I don't get Baekhyun.

Mr. Choi places the hat on his desk, standing over it proudly. "So, are we all ready?" 

Yeah's and sure's fill the room. I'm silent, wondering who I'm going to get. I silently chant Seulgi's name under my breath. But who am I kidding? Knowing my crazy luck, I'll end up getting Baekhyun. Or, Chanyeol. Or, any of those jerks, really. 

Mr. Choi shuffles his hand through the filled hat. When he takes out a paper, he reads it aloud. "Park Chanyeol with..."

I bite my lips.

"...Byun Baekhyun."

"YES!" the two say aloud, high-fiving each other. I sighed in relief. Thank you God!

Mr. Choi continues. "Kang Seulgi with...Son Wendy."

Seulgi's face washes over in red. Her eyes are wide, gaping. Wendy is the same way.

As much as I want to be sad that I'm not with Seulgi, I can't help feeling happy. Through this project, the two could really connect and finally get together. At least, that's what I hope anyways. 

"Kim Joonmyeon with..." 

Please be me. Please be me! 

"...Kwon Soojung."

What? 

Who is that?

Joonmyeon and this Soojung exchange glances from each side of the room. They nod to each other with slight smiles. My lip twitches. 

Mr. Choi continues naming every student's name off. 

My name hasn't been called yet, and there's not that many people left to be called. I'm just happy that none of those jerks from Baekhyun's clique is still available. 

Finally, my dreaded name is called. 

"Bae Joohyun...with..."

My eyes become squeezed shut together. My fingers are digging into the palms of my hands, leaving dents. 

"With..."

Anxiety courses through my veins, and I don't want to wait any more. 

"-Kim Minseok!" 

Now, who is that? 

I looked around the room, trying to find any faces that could possibly match that name. I don't even know a "Kim Minseok", so how in the world can I find him?

I raised my hand to ask who my partner is, but Mr. Choi started calling out names again. 

He can't see me. It's understandable, seeing as though I sit in the very back. And I'm practically invisible anyways. 

Finally, Mr. Choi was done name-calling. And, he went on with the lesson. But, I could barely pay attention. My head was swirling with "Kim Minseok". How could I not remember such a simple name for a simple person?

After class that seemed to drag on for hours, the bell rang.

"Wait class! I need to give you all a sheet of paper that explains the project. This project is very easy, but it can be difficult if you don't follow the rules," Mr. Choi interrupted. He turned to Chanyeol. "Pass these out for me, Mr. Park." Chanyeol groaned and snapped the papers from the teacher's hands. 

I decided to stay in my seat because "Kim Minseok" may know who I am and come up to me first. 

Stupid, but there's no other option.

After a few minutes of waiting, I gave up. There was nothing but three people left in the class, and those people were too busy in their own lands to realize they haven't meet their partner yet.

I sighed and grabbed my books from my desk. I took the project paper and stuffed it in my binder, not caring which one it was stuffed in. 

Just as I walked out of the classroom, I bumped into someone. Well, it felt like something from how hard it was. 

I staggered a few steps back, dropping all of my binders and books out of my hand. I curse under my breath and bend down to get all of my belongings. 

"No, let me. I did cause this, after all," a voice broke out. I look up to find a guy with brown hair, sharp features, and stare-addicting eyes. This must've been the "something" I bumped into.

"Oh, y-you don't have to...," I mumble, but he doesn't even listen to me. I watch him gather all of the books in his hand and then, he stands. He gives me a smile as he hands them to me. I take them reluctantly. "Thanks..."

"Sure. I'm Minseok, by the way."

Minseok? 

Is he my partner?

No, no, of course he's not. There's probably a thousand Minseok's in this school, and I bumped into one of the many, knowing my luck, of course. 

I bow respectively to one of the many Minseok's. "Thanks again." As I begin to brush past him, I felt someone grab me by the arm. I tense up at the warm feeling that person's hand is. I'm wearing a long-sleeve shirt because of the chilling weather, but I could feel the warmth burn through my shirt, making me shiver. When I look back, he's the one who grabbed me. 

His eyebrow was raised, looking at me with a skeptical expression. "I guess I'm not used to social interaction, but I wasn't expecting you to walk away from someone you have to work with in order to not to fail a class," he snapped, dropping his hand to his side. I stared at him like he was crazy before his words started to register in my confused mind. 

So, he's the Minseok that I have to work on this project with? 

Argh, I'm so stupid. And here I thought that I only bumped into one of the many Minseok's in this school. I wanted to slap myself for my stupidity, especially in front of someone who I just met. 

I gulped, averting my gaze to the side. "S-sorry..." Could this get anymore embarrassing? 

Minseok shrugged. "It's whatever...Let's just go to the library and get this over and done with."

Well, it's obvious that he no longer wants any part of me in his life. I couldn't blame him though. If I was him, I wouldn't want me in his life either. 

So, we walk silently and awkwardly to the library. I trail behind him, my eyes on the polished floor, only taking a step when he did. If Minseok is in Asian History with me, how come I never noticed him before? I quickly brush off the question. He's probably one of the quiet kids who sit in the back with me, not wanting to cause a fuss like some people I know. I guess I've never really paid attention to my classmates. Well, it's not like I want to anyways. I usually just stare out my window, tapping my pencil on my desk, waiting for Mr. Choi to get done with the lesson that I already know and handing up tedious papers to do that I already know the answers to. 

We pushed ourselves through the doors to the school library. The atmosphere around us deems down, falling in a complete silence. There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter