Byun Baekhyun

The Boyfriend List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BAEKHYUN

-

 (but he didn't like me.)

JOOHYUN

After that encounter with Chanyeol, we never spoke or saw each other again. Seulgi questioned what happened. After two weeks of keeping it all to myself, I finally came clean and said the truth. She didn't believe me at first until realizing there was no reason why I would lie about something like that. She felt sorry for me, but I told her it was no big deal. Because, it's really not.

A month passed. The air was getting colder as Autumn was getting into session. The leaves were beginning to change lively colors.

I've finally got used to how the way things work in this school by being in my tenth year. The teachers are more laid-back, but they're still on you, wanting you to improve as much as you can. 

My classmates also realized how "smart" I am. So, just like in all of my other years, they go to me for answers, instead of help. Even better: The teachers came to the conclusion that I'm a good helper for the students. They saw how the students were getting better grades, but one they failed to realize that they were just copying my work. So, now, one of them put me into private tutoring to "help" the kids who are struggling. 

How great is my life?

My first tutor session is today, afterschool. I don't know who my clients are, but I really hope they just don't copy my work. If they need help, fine, but copying is a no-no. 

"So, can you please tell me why I can't walk with you?" Seulgi asked, huffing.

I sighed. "Seulgi, my dearest friend, I have tutoring today. How many times do I have to say it?"

"Until you can't say it anymore!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Can't you just skip it?" she continued, her eyes showing complete sadness. 

I shake my head. "Can't do it. Besides, I'll only do this until the first semester exams go out, and that's in about...three weeks? You can wait that long." But I know I sure can't.

Seulgi groaned, throwing her head back. I want to do the same. "Fiiine! Good luck on your stupid tutoring stuff instead of walking your best friend home!" She gives me a glare and walks out the school, through the gates. 

I pinch the bridge of my nose. She can be such a brat sometimes. 

After I was done complaining about my friend, I went back into this lousy school. Where did Ms. Kim tell me to go for tutoring? Oh, yeah. The library.

Once I arrived in front of the library, I opened the door slightly. Then, I opened it wider. The librarian greeted me with a smile and I bowed back. There was a few students in the shelves, analyzing the books around them. I pushed past them to get to the back, where the dreaded tutor sessions were held. 

I knocked on the closed door that kept me from seeing my first client. "Come in!" Huh. That voice is familiar. 

I put my hand on the knob and twisted it. I put on a fake smile. "Welcome to tutor-"

I was cut off when I saw who was beyond this closed door. 

Byun freaking Baekhyun. 

Oh, God. Could this day get anymore better?

He stared at me.

I stared back. 

Then, he rolled his eyes. He planted his chin in his open palm. "Why did I have a feeling you were going to be here?"

I shrugged, trying to act cool. Even though my body was shaking and my heart was beating. I took a seat across from him and threw my backpack on the desk. I took out pencils, my textbooks, and a lot of paper. "Are you ready?" My voice was shaky. Knowing that he called me a loser and looks down on me made me feel like on the side of the road. It's not like I haven't been called that before, but I've never been in a situation like this.

It's unbelievable, really. 

Baekhyun must've noticed how shaken I was. He chuckled under his breath and grabbed his pencil from his case. "Fine."

"What do you need help on?" I started. 

"Math," he answered simply.

Math. I hate math, but I still had an A in the class. When you think about it, math is really easy. You just have to pay attention, but I still hate it.

I nodded, opening my algebra text book. "Page?" 

"One hundred."

And, we started with our tutor session. 

Baekhyun was quieter than usual. 

He didn't make snarky comments. He didn't smirk or laugh when I messed up on a problem. And, most importantly, he didn't call me names.

However, I can still tell he doesn't like me. 

Baekhyun and I had a history together that I never like to bring up. He and I were in the same primary school. I didn't know him, he didn't know me. But, he used to bully me. Not like serious bullying - it was elementary, after all. Just laughed at, made fun of. Back then, I didn't have a friend to protect me. The teachers were my protection, even though they didn't do much. They just said kids would be kids. 

I always like to laugh at that. It's not serious, but it still made me dread going to school. I didn't tell my Mom. Instead, I always lied about being sick. She didn't buy it and still sent me to school. It was almost like she knew. She's smart. 

I have to tutor Baekhyun everyday for three weeks. How fun. 

Surprisingly, three weeks passed by faster than usual. Baekhyun and I had a mutual relationship. We came in afterschool, he asked me questions about certain problems, I help him, and he does the work. I usually just read my books and when he needed help, I would help him. 

He didn't really talk (except for asking for help). He just asked, "Are you always reading those books?" I replied with a shrug or a nod. He didn't ask anymore after several attempts at trying to make me answer. 

Then, it was over. We never spoke again. We never looked at each other. And, I was overjoyed. 

Baekhyun had all B's in his classes, and it was all because of me. He never thanked me. The teachers did. I didn't care, though. I was just happy I didn't have to see him everyday. 

Then, it was time to take the first semester exams. 

The exams lasted the whole week. It was easy, yet tedious. Being stuck in a room all day, writing and bubbling answers into a test paper is definitely no fun. Everyone was stressed, even me. 

Finally, the exams ended. It was Autumn break, which is only five days long. 

The school was holding an Autumn Festival in celebration for students finishing the exam. Everyone at school had to attend. It was not mandatory. 

"Who are you going to the festival with, Joohyun?" Seulgi asked me as we were walking home that Friday afternoon. The break was on Monday where the festival started. 

"You?" It was not a statement. 

She stared at me like I was crazy. "Uh. No."

"Why?" 

"You're going with a date."

"No I'm not," I dead-panned. "Are you?"

Seulgi nodded, her face beaming. "Yep! So, that's why I can't go with you."

Oh, how lovely. 

"I guess I'm not going."

"I guess you're going to get in trouble," she retorted with a frown. "Oh, come on, Joohyun! Why don't you go with Baekhyun?"

"He doesn't like me. I don't like him."

"But, you guys were-"

I rolled my eyes. "It was just tutoring. We weren't talking about our lives or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter