Chapter 7

Goldfish

Step..., step..., step, the ominous sound of footsteps was getting closer. I peeked through the gaps of the filter and saw a group of people wearing black suits searching every single spot of the cafeteria. If it wasn't for the white mask they put on, I couldn't have spotted them in the dark.

As the masked people started approaching the table, it started trembling badly. It wasn't difficult to spot her as the woman was shivering underneath it. She had no chance of escaping as the group surrounded her quickly.

"Come with us!" One of them commanded, probably the leader.

The rest started to haul her out while she struggled.

"Are there anymore here?" The leader asked.

"First you took my husband and then my mother! I have nobody left! Do whatever you want! I don't care anymore!" She uttered hopelessly as she finally stopped struggling and her body slouched against one of the masked men.

The leader gave a slight nod to the group and they all marched out, taking the woman away with her. I glanced over to the little girl beside me who was trying to stifle a cry. I gave her a tight hug, my tears fell uncontrollably with hers.

Her mother was a great woman who sacrificed herself to save her child. To prevent them from searching further, she insinuated that she was the only one left after her husband and mother were gone. In order to further convince them, she chose to hide even though she knew that there was no escape for her.

"I'll protect your child no matter what!" I promised her in my heart.

After the gamemasters left, Yuri whispered loudly from the opposite, "We have to get down now and hide under the table before the lights are switched on again!"

Sunny hurriedly removed the filter and I let the little girl down first before climbing down after her. We quickly ducked under a table and the rest did the same.

"After the lights are on, we will get out once this place is full of people!"

Not long after someone said that, the lights came on and the place bursting with people. We got out of our hiding spots and pretended to be queuing for food before squeezing our way out of the cafeteria.

I immediately grabbed the old lady and cupped her wrinkled face, "Yuri ah! What happened to you?! How did you get so old?!"

Everyone stopped and stared at us.