Chapter 17

Goldfish

I promptly unfolded my paper as they stared intently at me.

Relief swept over me.

I flipped the paper over and showed them the dirt.

"I will do it," I stated.

"No, I will do it," Yoona and Yuri said in unison as they held up their paper and turned it over revealing the dirt on their paper.

"Wh...What?" I stuttered unknowingly.

"You saw her did that, right?" Yuri raised her eyesbrows at Yoona .

Yoona gave a small, uneasy laugh, "Yeah... So I dirtied mine too... when no one was looking."

"It's not right to cheat yo," Sunny interrupted with a frown on her face.

"But they both cheated too!," Yoona defended herself with a pout, "Taeyeon hid the paper and gave us the clean ones, Yuri obviously dirtied hers too!"

Opps.. Guilty charged. Yuri and my face turned red as we looked down in shame.

"Look... I should be the one to go," I reasoned, "Firstly, I take a little more time to reach the airvent than the rest due to the vast difference in height. (Can't believe I'm saying this) Secondly, look at the bright colours of your shirt. It would be harder to spot me in the dark since I'm wearing dark blue. Right?"

Omg... this better work.

"She does make a point," Mrs Kester added in, "We don't have much time."

Thankfully, Mrs. Kester was there to support me and everyone reluctantly agreed.

"Unnie, stay safe k?" Little Hyeyeon looked at me with her big brown eyes and hugged my leg tightly with her tiny body.

"Of course..." I smiled as I ruffled her hair.

Seeing Hyeyeon's anxious face, I squatted down and gave her a reassuring hug just before the music started playing.

"Come on! We have to go." I took Hyeyeon by the hand and was about to lead her through the door before I realised that I have forgotten something.

I squatted down again and handed Hyeyeon the bowl of bibimbap I have saved for Jessica, "Unnie has a very important task for you. Can you do it for me?"

She nodded her head and asked innocently, "If I do, you will come back right?"

"Yes, I promise you. If you would pass this to Jessica unnie, I will be back in a flash!"

"Okay!" She held the bowl in her two little hands with her bright smile.

Such innocence.

I hid myself in the big cabinet where I first met Hyeyeon and her mother while the rest were waiting under the table for the lights to go off.

The music played on for a while before it suddenly stopped. I left the cabinet door slightly ajar so I could peer through the gap but everything was pitch dark. Though, I could hear them fumbling around in the dark, trying to find the table to get up to the airvent. Normally, I would really love to laugh at their clumsiness but part of me knew that this is not a situation for jokes and laughter. They had to better hide before the gamemasters arrived and hopefully, Tiffany and the rest would be coming as we planned.

Soon, there were footsteps approaching the cafeteria and everyone had safely got up so the rest was up to me. I sat really still in the cabinet and waited silently, not daring to move an inch as the footsteps stopped right at the door.

Getting nervous and impatient, I shifted a bit and decided to take a little peek.

Creak... the door opened and a figure stepped inside.

I tried to get a look of its face but the gamemaster was wearing a mask, as usual.

Please let it be Tiffany...

Just as I was contemplating if I should exposed myself, the figure suddenly turned in my direction. The eyes were piercing, as if they could look right through me.

Those can't be Tiffany's eyes...

I promptly shifted back away from the door, hoping that I hadn't been noticed.

My heartbeat quickened as I could hear the gamemaster making his way to the cabinet where I was hiding.

Have I been caught?