Chapter 12

Goldfish

"She's really dead!" Yoona cried as Sunny and Yuri went ahead of her to verify.

The widened eyes and the shocked expression on their face gave us the confirmation. The lady looked really thin as though starvation could be a possible cause of her death. We were all at loss, wondering if we could possibly end up like her too.

"Quick! Take her shoes before the game masters come!" Mrs Kester suddenly shifted her position as though to block Sunny from the surveillance cameras.

Sunny, although puzzled, did as what Mrs Kester instructed.

"Hide the shoes!" She hushed in a slightly softer tone and Sunny quickly slid them into her bag just as the game masters arrived.

They immediately identified the body as the one they were searching for after matching the shoes with her bare feet. We were both shocked and relieved. Sharp eye, Mrs Kester.

They checked her vital signs and pronounced her death.

We watched in silence as her body was being carried away.

"This is really common here," Mrs Kester began explaining, "It's the survival of the fittest here. Those who couldn't get food... they just go... like that."

Sooyoung gave a loud sigh.

We started to notice our surroundings. Some were sick and could barely move, some families shared meager amount of food, some was just crying with their last breath. And there, in a corner, laid a body of a child. Everyone saw but no one seemed to care. We were too busy trying to save our own lives that we we failed to see others needing help as well.

What Mrs Kester said was true.

Welcome to the real world where the fittest survives!

And this is just the beginning.