Third Year

The Troublesome Wheepup

Less than a week.

Days were tickling down until they would launch their fifth mini album and start a brand new promotion.

All of them are in a frenzy – brains working on over drive to memorize their lines, legs felt like they were about to fall off as they practiced the choreography, going over the dance steps as the choreographers yelled at them about postures and mistakes – the tension and stress were all over the place, everyone knew how important this production was, this mini album will mark the group’s third year anniversary. Everything must be perfect.

Yongsun belted the chorus note of “As For Me” – their latest title track – once again, making sure that her chest opened up, so she wouldn’t slipped from singing the notes to yelling, followed by Hyejin’s harmonization when their vocal coach frowned.

“Hyejin-ah, less breathiness, use your belly, support it, don’t use your throat too much.”

“Ne...” She bowed lightly, Hyejin’s voice was slightly hoarse, they’ve been repeating the same song for almost 60 times now, if they didn’t lose track already.

“Again then.”

Without complained, the girls followed suit.

Yongsun tried to smile at the youngest member, she knew that she need to keep the spirit up, for herself and the girls, and somehow she knew that if she snapped, they all would. The pressure to ensure perfection was starting to push her toward her own limit, if she already felt this way, she was sure that the pressure were taking its toll on the members as well.

She averted her gaze toward Wheein, wondering how she was holding up, her voice was almost gone since the last hour. Their gaze locked and although her eyes already showed strain of tiredness, the pup was still smiling widely at her. She can’t help but return the smile, no one could resist a smile from Jung Wheein.  

They were all trying to stick as close as possible to the original score, the adlibing could be save for the comeback stages, they all need to reserve energy for dance rehearsal afterwards and it would be a nightmare if they hurt their cords by overdoing practice.  

Yongsun noted their vocal coach slipped on the chord of the piano accompaniment – apparently they were not the only one getting tired.

The coach ran his hand through his hair and nodded, “Hyejin-ah, don’t forget breath support. Byul-ah, diction, diction, diction. Wheeinie, hydrate yourself, I could barely hear you. Good. One last time and then all of you could rest.”

He played the opening chord and Yongsun smiled, all of her members not even make any fuss about starting from the top, so just like the rest, Yongsun also gave the practice run her all.

***

 

Five hours later, all four of them gingerly made their way down the hall to their apartment. All quiet, none talking, each one of them felt relieved that they were done with rehearsal for the day. Each steps heavy since they just went through four hours of dance routines without break, already thankful enough that they still had energy to walk.

Byul typed in the security code before pushing the handle and opened the door. She unceremoniously brought her leg up one by one and slipped off her shoes before tossing it back without looking.

She heard the yelp behind her and looked back. Standing in the door way, Yongsun didn’t look particularly amuse as she held the offending shoes that Byul just tossed.

“Ya! How could you just tossed your smelly shoes like that! It almost hit my head!”

In a normal day, Byul would profusely apologized, but today is not a normal day, so she just took the childish route by sticking out her tongue and fluidly avoided the shoes flying on top of her head courtesy of Yongsun.

The two youngest members snickered at the bickering duo as Byul only grumbled her sorry and walked further into the apartment as cautiously as possible, there were stabbing pain on the soles of her feet as she walk.

The dark haired rapper sat down on the sofa and sighed with relief as the pain subsided the moment she took her weight off her feet. She felt the sofa shifted as Wheein sat cross legged beside her, a worried frown showing on her face, “Are you okay?”

Too tired to answer, Byul only nodded and smiled softly at her precious princess.

“I need alcohol.” Hyejin yelled out from her spread eagle position on top of the carpeted floor, the whining clear in her voice.

Byul couldn’t agree more, alcohol would make her really happy right now, that and doing absolute nothing until they need to wake up again tomorrow morning for another round of grueling practice.

“Alcohol is not allowed, it could damage your vocal cords and you wouldn’t want your voice to crack like you are in a verge of dying or something and CEO-nim...”

Hyejin resisted the urge to silence their leader with a swat on her bum and simply waived her hand in resign, “I know, I know, CEO-nim would probably kill me.”

Their CEO already gave them a very strict do’s and don’ts for this comeback and it includes a strict no alcohol and no sugar rules, it was starting to drive them mad.

“Good that you remember it, I’m going to make us an ice lemon honey tea.” Yongsun practically skipped over to the kitchen, a big grin splayed on her lips.

“Seriously unnie, how in the world you could still skip around and not writhing in agony like the rest of us?” Hyejin hollered before groaning as she flexed her calves’ muscles and felt the tightness spread out from the soles of her feet up to her calves and ended in her thigh. She was going to die come morning. She knew it. She already felt like she was dying now anyway.

“Our third years anniversary is only a couple of minutes away, can you believe that!??” Yongsun giggling voice carried over to the living room and the three of them smiled, they couldn’t help but re-energized by the spark of excitement that only Kim Yong Sun could produce. Their leader’s fierce passion was incredible and they were grateful, they couldn’t imagine where they would be without her.

Yongsun returned back from the kitchen, four cans of cold beer within her hold, “You know what, a little beer wouldn’t hurt.” She said as she grinned from ear to ear, eyes twinkling with tiny rebellion.

“OH MY GOD!!” Hyejin almost leaped off her ground and winced when the sudden movement almost made her feet cramp, but all was forgotten as she received the cold beer from Yongsun.

“You serious?” Byul asked, but the big grin on her face was unmistakable as she reached over and took two beers out of Yongsun’s hold and passed one to Wheein who already snuggled sleepily beside her.

Sitting beside their youngest member, Yongsun nodded, “Well, tonight is a celebration anyway.”

Their eyes simultaneously looked at the clock on the wall, one more minute to go before the clock strikes twelve, and the date official turned from 18 to 19, their third year anniversary as a debuting group.

Byul her fingers up and down Wheein’s arm absently, almost lulling Wheein back to sleep as she used Byul’s chest as her pillow, “I can’t believe it has been three years, time passed so quickly.”

“Here’s to another 300 years together!” Yongsun yelled out, beer can high in the air before taking a sip of her beer and scrunched up her face, she never really like the taste of beer, she normally wouldnt even drink, but tonight she would make an exception.  

“To friendship.” Byul said before bringing the can to her lips.

“To family.”  Wheein smiled serenely, snuggling closer to Byul and sighed when the cold beer soothingly slid down .

“To us.” Hyejin took a long pull from her can, almost draining it empty.

All were quiet, lost in their own world until Wheein suddenly yawned out loud, “We’re not going to reminisce or talk about goals or do anything sappy right?”

A chorus of ‘No’ and ‘No way’ came from Byul and Hyejin while Yongsun looked disappointed.

“But... But.... it’s our anniversary.”

“Yes, but it’s been a really really tiring day.” Said Byul distractedly as she pried the beer can from Wheein’s hand and put it down on the floor, the pup was about ready to pass out, she didn’t need beer anymore or worse, spilling the beer all over herself.

Hyejin’s eyes flickered over Yongsun’s pouting face and watched their leader for a moment, it’s weird how looking at Yongsun always enough to make all of her worry fly away. Her heart felt warm or maybe that’s the beer taking effect on her body, but she just felt warm and fuzzy and suddenly seriously wanted to hug Yongsun.

So she did.

Throwing herself at the pink haired woman, she tackled Yongsun to the ground and wrapped her arms and legs over Yongsun’s body like an octopus.

“OMPH!! What...”

“Thank you for putting up with me!! I love you so much! I love all of you so much!!”

“YA! You just had a little beer, how can you be drunk already??”

“I LOVE YOU!! UNNIE, I LOVE YOU!! LEADER-NIM!!” Hyejin tightened her hold until Yongsun squealed and scream for help.

“I. Cant. Breath. Help. Byul.”

“Oh wow... you guys so , can’t help you, unnie. My baby already asleep.” Byul Wheein’s hair and smile, her baby already snoring softly, “I need to get Wheein to bed.”

“Ya!! You traitor!! Help me!!!” Yongsun tried to squirm away but Hyejin’s hold was too strong for her.

Byul laughed at the sight and shook her head, how those two still have enough energy to play around amazed her. Slipping her hands under Wheein’s body, she grunted when Wheein’s weight settled into her arms as she lifted her lithe body and winced as the pain on her soles return with full force.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow, don’t do anything too crazy.” Byul winked at Yongsun before carrying the sleeping beauty to their room.

Resigned to her faith, Yongsun ran her hair through Hyejin’s now long hair, “Okay, okay, I love you too, now can you please get off me?”

“But you are so comfy.” Hyejin mumbled against Yongsun’s shoulder and pressed even closer, if that even possible.

Chuckling lightly at the respond, Yongsun pressed a kiss on their baby member’s head, “Do you want to sleep with unnie tonight?”

She felt rather than see the nod and smiled.

Three years.... it seems so long yet not so distance away at the same time, but she cannot even for a second imagine their life without each other.

“Forever” Yongsun whispered and wrapped her arms around Hyejin and held tight.

Yes. Forever seems about right.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

I know it's a day late, but better late than never XP Happy Third Year Anniversary my beloved Girls!! and its 2 days before the day they come back to snatch our wigs and slay our souls, in other words, I CANT WAIT!!