Believe in Santa

The Troublesome Wheepup

 

Three pairs of eyes followed Wheein’s movement with increasingly heavy hearts as Wheein put on Christmas socks all around their apartment. On each of the members’ bedroom doors, on the living room, on the kitchen, on the front door, on the bathroom doors, around the gigantic Christmas tree that she beg and plead to the other members to put up.

The three huddled together and whispered as Wheein cheerfully hummed and prepared Christmas cupcakes, putting them on a festive plate, saying something about Santa little elves probably hungry after putting all of the gifts inside the socks.

"How many did she put up this year?" Yongsun whispered gently, afraid that Wheein could listened in on their conversation.

"Last I count? 23." Hyejin answered, using the same quiet whisper and the three of them closed their eyes simultaneously, already imagining the difficulties of finding Christmas gifts just one day before Christmas amidst their busy schedule and without Wheein finding out.

"How many that has her name on it?" The eldest of the three asked again and this time the rapper answered.

"20."

Three sighs can be heard all around and Yongsun eyes lighted up with determination, "Okay, this year we have to end this. This year, we have to tell her that Santa doesn’t exist, I mean, surely she's old enough to realize that Santa isn’t real right?"

All eyes looked at Byul who instantly put up her hands in defensive mode, "Woah! Why look at me? There's no way I could shatter her innocence dream like that!" She whispered harshly and looked at Hyejin, "You've been with her since middle school, you're the one who should do it!"

"Oh come on! You don’t have any qualm shattering her innocence in other way, but you asked me to shatter her childhood belief, how could you!"

"Okay, enough. Don’t bicker, we have to come up with... " Yongsun winced slightly before continuing, "23 wrapped gifts before midnight, we have to divide responsibilities. I will get gift for Hyejin and you, Hyejin will get something for me, and you... you will need to buy your Wheepup her 20 gifts."

Byul was stunned, the panic was immediate, "Ya! How can I come up with that many gifts myself!!"

"Guys!!! Do you think the cupcakes are enough for the elves? Or should I get them cookies as well?"

Wheein's voice startled them from their huddling and they all gave her a simultaneous and resounding yes, at least that way Wheepup would be busy shopping for cookies and would give them time to prepare the presents.

Yongsun glared at Byul, "You are her owner, you have to be responsible to get her all her gifts. Now, after we open the gifts tomorrow morning, we have to tell her that Santa isn’t real, okay? We'll break it out to her slowly. Deal?"

Twin nods answered the leader's question and they hurriedly gave Wheein differing excuses to get out of their apartment. They have Christmas gifts to hunt and plenty of cakes to bribe Wheein to accept that Santa, no matter how magical he could be, only exist in children's fantasy, story books and movies.

With Santa's blessing, hopefully their precious Wheepup won’t be too disappointed. Hence, the cakes. Nothing cheer Wheepup more than cakes. That and Byul. But that's another matter.

***

 

Byul was miserable. Wheein was still deep in slumber, but almost half of her body laid on top of Byul's. Not to mention their kid, Ggomo, who love to curl up on top of Byul as well. She usually didn’t mind, even happy that Wheein and Ggomo love to be close to her.

But tonight was different. She need to play Santa and she need to put the wrapped gifts inside the Christmas socks now before the sun rises and to do exactly that, she need to be able to get out of the room without waking Ggomo and by extension, Wheein.

Yongsun and Hyejin would kill her if she didn’t help with all of the preparation, but she could barely move her body.

She took a deep breath and held it as she gently lifted the sleeping kitten and placed him on top of Wheein's body instead. She then gingerly shifted her body out from under Wheein’s body until she slightly fell out of the bed. Her eyes widened in fear when Wheein stirred, but she calmed back down when Wheein still deeply asleep.

Letting out a relieved breath, she scrabbled up and quietly opened and closed the door and met two glaring pairs of eyes.

 

“What took you so long!! Wheein already ordered us to bed early because Santa won’t come unless we all asleep. That’s like 2 hours ago!” Yongsun had both of her hands on her hips and glared at the rapper for taking her sweet time.

“Wheein loves to cuddle! And then she was on top of me, what can I do???”

“Too much information, unnie!!” Hyejin groaned and covered her ears, she didn’t need to know what her unnie and her best friends were doing just then.

“Sleeping! She was sleeping on top of me, you need to cut down watching movies, okay? Your brain always goes straight to the gutter.”

“I watch foreign movies, not .” The maknae defended herself and Yongsun had to raise both of her hands to stop them.

“Stop it. Seriously, I sometimes felt like a kindergarten teacher.”

“But unnie, you said yourself that you’re 3 years old. You’re one of us.” Hyejin smirked, both hands folded in front of her chest.

“Can we please just go on ahead with putting the gifts where it belongs? I don’t want Wheepup to wake up and find me gone, okay?” Byul plead at the other two and Yongsun swallowed her retort.

“Fine. I already put our gifts in our socks, now we just have to split up and put in Wheein’s gifts. You take the living room.” She pointed to Byul who nodded and hurried off and then turn to Hyejin, “I’ll go to the kitchen and the front door, you take care of the tree, okay?”

Without further ado, they all split up and put all of the gifts for their precious member. The smaller gifts that actually fit to be put inside the socks went in, while the bigger gifts were laid on top of the socks, which gave them extra work, because they had to take off the scotch tape used to tape the socks on the wall and rearrange the gifts and the sock so it won’t look messy.

 

They were so busy with their tasks, they didn’t hear Byul’s bedroom door opened until a bleary voice of the Wheepup scared them all to death, “What are you guys doing?”

Standing there with her Christmas Stitch onesies with matching socks, hair messy from sleep and one hand rubbing her bleary eyes was their Wheepup.

All three members were frozen on their spots. Byul almost melt when she saw the cute appearance of Wheein, but her heart beat frantically at the thought of shattering Wheein’s childhood belief.

“Wheein-ah… we could explain…” Yongsun gulped, she walked toward the puppy and wrapped her arms around Wheein.

Hyejin put down the gift that she was holding under the Christmas tree and hurried over to the kitchen, she need ammunition to cheer Wheein up, *Where the hell did Yongsun unnie put the strawberry cake?*

Byul strode toward the younger girl and held Wheein’s hands with her own, “Wheein-ah… I’m sorry to say this… but… Santa… well he doesn’t exist. All these times, it was me and Yongsun unnie and Hyejin-nie that prepared all the gifts for you.”

“We all love you so much and didn’t have the heart to tell you that Santa is just a brand used to make Christmas merrier, but you just shined with so much happiness whenever Christmas comes and you believed that if you’re a good girl throughout the year, you will get gifts from Santa… We… we just love seeing that happiness.”

“Cake?” Hyejin appeared with strawberry cake in her hands, smiling so brightly it kind of hurt her cheeks, but anything for Wheepup, they need to protect that smile.

“I know.”

Three shocked faces looked at the grinning Wheepup, “I know that Santa didn’t exist since I was 5.”

“I want to smash this cake onto your face.” Hyejin deadpanned and glared at her laughing best friend.

“Ya! Jung Wheepup!! Why didn’t you say anything!! Do you know how much stress that we were under every time Christmas come?” Yongsun started tickling the laughing Wheein in her arms until the younger girls hollered for mercy.

“It was cute! All of you! You pretended that you believed in Santa Claus for me and I just feel thankful and happy and I love all the gifts as well.”

Yongsun sighed and shook her head, “Well… at least we will have a normal Christmas time starting next year and I don’t have to worry on how to tell you that Santa wasn’t real. Seriously Wheepup!!”

Wheein grinned and gave Yongsun a tight hug, “Thank you. For all these time, thank you for putting up with me and my silly fantasy. You are the best sister that anyone could ever wish for. I love you.”

Yongsun patted Wheein’s head softly, who could stay mad after hearing that? And those dimpled smile… Yongsun pointed at her cheek, “Give unnie a kiss and all will be forgiven.”

The younger girl grinned and gave their leader a very long and very wet kiss on her squishy cheek until Yongsun was laughing and wiped Wheein’s slobber off her cheek with her hand, “Ewwww, why you have to slobber all over me???”

“Because I CAN!!!” Wheein grinned and then walked over to Hyejin and was about to give her a hug as well but Hyejin avoided her embrace.

“I still want to smash this cake onto your face.” She raised one challenging eyebrow which the puppy returned with a raised eyebrow of her own.

“And it off my face?”

“Sort of.” Hyejin grinned cheekily and Wheein gave her a long big hug and a loud smack of her lips on Hyejin’s right cheek.

“I love you!”

“Right back at ya, by the way, you own me chicken. I worried so much about your gifts every year, my hair keeps falling off and I can’t grow out my hair.”

“Eyyyyy, what kind of excuses was that. But, Call! I’ll treat you chicken tomorrow.”

 

The other two bid their goodnight once again and left Wheein with Byul who just stared at her.

“Unnie?”

Byul shook her head and smiled at her troublesome Wheepup, “I thought I would have to hold you while you cry tonight after we break the news.”

“Well, you could still hold me while I sleep tonight.”

“I don’t think that’s enough compensation for all the stress that you put me through, I ran around the city every year just to get your presents and the amount of socks that you put up keep multiplying every year!”

Wheein laughed, “Fine! Tell me what do you want for Christmas?”

The rapper grinned, mischief glinting on her eyes, she raised one of her hand up over both of their head, “Look up.”

Wheein chuckled when she saw the mistletoe dangling from Byul’s hand, “So you want a kiss?”

Byul eyes grew soft as she looked at the smiling angel in front of her, “All I want for Christmas is you.”

Reaching up to cup Byul’s face with both of her hands, Wheein stood on her tip toes and leaned in, close enough for their lips to brush against each other, “You’re so chessy.”

“It’s fine because you’re a cheese otaku anyway. You love cheesy things.” Wrapping her arms on Wheein’s waist they smiled into each other’s eyes.

“Merry Christmas, you who come from the moon.”

“Merry Christmas, you who owned the night sky.” whispered Byul before leaning in and gave Wheein the sweetest kiss.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Dedicating this to @Babujjung who asked me what if Wheein still believe in Santa LOL. Anyway, Merry Christmas everybody!! May your christmas filled with joy and happiness and also Mamamoo magic! Happy Holiday!!