Birthday Tradition

The Troublesome Wheepup

11.59 PM

One more minute. One more minute and she would turn a year older.

She glanced at her ringing phone, one of her friends from middle school called. No doubt calling her to wish her a ‘happy birthday’, yet she ignored the call.

For the last three years, it has been a tradition for the two of them that Wheein would be the first one to say happy birthday to her, and she didn’t want it to change. Not even when they were fighting, like now.

Wheein already gave her the silent treatment since 3 days ago and no matter how hard Byul tried – Wheein wouldn’t budge – still ignoring her and just interact with her out of necessity whenever the camera was on.

Byul sighed – covering her face with the bed cover – she closed her eyes tightly. Wheein was still not home, she checked with their manager and Wheein was still recording for her personal schedule.

It was her fault, really, she just didn’t think that Wheein would have that strong of a reaction and she only have herself to blame.

But she was jealous.

Okay, so maybe she could’ve handle it better.

But Wheein shouldn’t have flirted with him.

I was not flirting with him! Since when talking and smiling at another person is flirting!

But he could get the wrong impression.

That’s his problem, not mine.

Byul still remembered the pissed off look that Wheein gave her and groaned out loud.

She threw away the bed cover and almost leaped from the bed, suddenly in need of a fresh air. She glanced at her phone and noted that there were 3 missed calls, all from the same friend and some other messages. She scrolled through the messages, looking at the names and quickly dismissed it without reading the content because none of them were from Wheein.

She debated whether or not to bring the phone with her, but hoping that Wheein might call, she quickly grabbed it from the nightstand. Donning her coat without zipping them she opened the bedroom door only to find Yongsun unnie was about to knock at her door, a huge smile adorning her face.

“Byul-ah, Hap...” the leader closed quickly when Byul glared at her.

“Oh... Wheein hasn’t...” Byul shook her head morosely.

“Well... I guess I’ll just wait until...” Yongsun stopped her words and sighed,  “Byul-ah, just apologies already.”

“I did. She still won’t forgive me.”

Yongsun cringed and patted Byul’s shoulder awkwardly, “You kind of humiliate her in front of the sunbae though...”

“But I couldn’t help it! He was towering over her!”

“Almost everybody towered over Wheein, she’s that small.” Yongsun grinned trying to lighten up the mood, but the grin vanished quickly when she saw the dark look that Byul sent her way.

Yongsun scratched her nose awkwardly, “You basically dragged her away in front of everybody. She was talking to him in the hallway, with so many people milling around waiting for broadcast, did you honestly think he would do anything weird?”

The rapper groaned out loud, “I know! It was a reflex. My mind just went blank when I saw them together, I don’t know what came over me. I did gave him an excuse that we need to rehearse though.”

“While dragging Wheein behind you, shielding her away and then dragged her off to the waiting area. Honestly, Byul.”

Byul looked down, looking so sad that it tugged at Yongsun’s soft heart. She was about to give Byul a hug when Hyejin ran toward them with her arms open wide.

“Unnie!!! Hap….”

“STOP!!!” both Byul and Yongsun shouted at the bewildered Hyejin, arms still outstretched mid-air.

“Don’t tell me, Wheein hasn’t contact you? So I can’t say hap…”

“No!”

“But it’s already your birt…”

“Hyejin, I swear, if you finish that sentences I will wish that you couldn’t eat chicken for a year.”

Hyejin scoffed, “Fineeee. You know what, rather than moping around the house, let’s just go to Karaoke Bar. Let’s go sing our heart out for Byul Yi unnie’s …… to make Byul Yi unnie cheer up again.” She quickly changed her wording when she saw Byul throwing dagger at her with her eyes.

“Maybe it’s not such a bad idea Byul, I’ll call manager unnie and Wheein, telling them to go straight there after Wheein wrapped up her schedule.”

“Will Wheein come?”

“She’s pissed at you but it didn’t mean she stopped loving you. Now come on, smile for unnie.”

Byul tried to smile but it came out weirdly, Hyejin shook her head at her expression, “Unnie, you looked like a hamster with a stomachache. Come on, let’s go cheer you up. LEGGO!!!”

***

“You’re not gonna get that?” Hyejin looked at the constantly ringing phone and the popped up messages that accompany their way to the Karaoke Bar. Byul shook her head, “Not from Wheepup.”

“Whipped.” Hyejin shook her head, but the smile that she gave Byul was warm and affectionate.

With Hyejin and Yongsun unnie on each side of her, the three walked into one of the hippest Karaoke Bar in town and quickly escorted to a private room, apparently their maknae already booked ahead. Hyejin and her ability to book and order everything through her phone.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!”

A voice boomed out loud just as they opened the private room door and Byul could feel her heart bursting out.

Standing there with a strawberry cake on her hands, a red ribbon wrapped around her face and a ridiculously big red bow on top of her head, was her Wheepup.

Byul nearly ran inside to tackle Wheein into a hug when the younger girl yelled at her and moved away, “Unnie! Candles! Candles!”

Ah right, the cake has candles on them, can’t hug Wheepup just yet.

“Finally!!! Happy birthday you dork!! Our Girl Crush!!” Yongsun tackled Byul’s side until she moved a couple of inches away toward Hyejin, a peck on her cheek soon followed.

“Yow!! Our rapper yow! Yow!! Happy birthday yow!! You’re old, yow! Yow!” Byul laughed at Hyejin’s impromptu rap and accepted her hug and kisses this time, the right side of her face nearly full with Hyejin’s lipstick imprints.

“Make a wish, unnie.” And then there she was, with a dimpled smile in front of her and without realizing it Byul cried.

The other three panicked and Wheein quickly passed the cake to Hyejin, wrapping her arms around her crying unnie.

Byul tightened her hold onto Wheein’s body, her face hidden on the crook of Wheein’s neck, the familiar soft flowery scent that she found there calmed her just a tiny bit.

“Unnie, don’t cry….”

“Don’t be mad at me anymore….”

“I’m not.”

“Then why giving me silent treatment for days????”

“It would ruined the surprise, you know how bad I’m with secret.” Wheein answered timidly, feeling guilty for making Byul cry.

“Well, next time don’t do that, I will just act surprise.” Byul tapped Wheein’s head softly, simply happy that Wheein already forgiven her. She looked around the room and noticed the strings of tiny little lights that decorated the room and paper shaped stars with smiley faces drawn on it peppering the wall positioned to spell ‘ILU’.

“Do you like it?” Wheein grinned up at Byul who nodded enthusiastically.

“You made this?”

“Yes, I asked manager unnie to lie so that I would have time to finish it.”

“Thank you….”

Byul was stunned when Wheein suddenly leaned in and gave her a peck on her lips, “Happy birthday, my Moon Star.”

“Alright!! Too cheesy!!! LETS GO AND GET DRUNK!!!” Hyejin hollered out loud and wrapped her arms around the two lovebird.

“Drinks, I agree to drinks, not getting drunk, we have schedule tomorrow!!!” Yongsun, the ever responsible leader reminded her excited members and received triple groan in return.

“3 bottles max.”

“3 bottles each.” Hyejin countered and they both have an intense eyes contact battle.

“Hyejinnie, let’s not, I have to get up early in the morning.” Wheein whined and blushed when the other three asked her why.

“I want to make Byul unnie seaweed soup.”

Byul nearly melted when she looked at the blushing puppy in front of her. Gathering Wheein into her arms again, she tugged at the ridiculously big ribbon slightly, “Thank you… and is this mean that you are my present?”

Byul grin widened when she got her answer from Wheein’s blush.

Hyejin rolled her eyes at the mushy couple and prefer to look at Yongsun again, she still need her eyes to see, she didn’t want to gauge it just yet, “UGH. Fine. 4 bottles max? please?” She jumped happily when Yongsun gave her a nod.

“LEGGO!!!”

 

Mamamoo's Fan Cafe Solar's Daily Memo

"MooMoos!! It’s our Byul birthday!! Happy Byul Day to our girl crush!! – SL – "

 

Mamamoo's Fan Cafe Hwasa's Daily Memo

"Our unnie just turned 25 today, let’s all wish her happiness and love. #HappyByulDay #25yearsoldhamster"

 

Mamamoo's Fan Cafe Solar's Daily Memo

"She’s busy doing something that she loves right now, but we will show MooMoos our awesome stage tomorrow. Watch out for Bond Girl Mamamoo – SL – "

 

Mamamoo's Fan Cafe Hwasa's Daily Memo

"She’s getting a lot of love. Don’t worry. Our unnie is a very very very happy woman right now ㅋㅋㅋㅋ"

 

Mamamoo's Fan Cafe Solar's Daily Memo

"ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ very happy indeed *wink wink* MooMoos don’t stay up too late!!"

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Dedicated this to @moonbabe_erin who prompt me to do this piece for Byul's birthday. Hope you like it!! 

Anyway, Happy Birthday to our beloved rapper and ultimate girl crush!! Here's to another amazing years in front of you <3 <3 <3