Happy Birthday, Appa

Of Little Surprises and Brand New Chances

“Oh my God. This is hopeless. You’re hopeless, Mark Tuan.” Jaebum yelped as a flying metal bowl came from Mark’s direction. “What the hell? Why are you so mean to me?”

“You’re asking me why?” Mark looked at his best friend in disbelief. Both of their faces covered in mixture of flour, eggs, milk and all other stuff. “Why are you even here? Last time I checked, I only asked for Youngjae’s help.”

“Now, now.” Youngjae cut off the two with an arm on his waist. “We don’t need this right now. It’s just a couple of days before Jinyoung-hyung’s birthday and I’m sorry Mark-hyung, but you can’t possibly surprise your boyfriend with a burnt cake. You too, Jaebum-hyung, I love you, but if you’re only here to make fun of Mark-hyung, I’ll suggest you leave my kitchen this instant. So are we gonna have any more problems here?” Mark and Jaebum looked at Youngjae’s expression and both figured that it’s better for the sake of their lives to not anger Youngjae. Youngjae’s nice and he’s a very good assistant, excellent even, but based on his experience (Mark shivered as he remembered a certain rare event of seeing Jaebum crying), he was no one to be messed with.

Mark was grumbling to himself as he went back to focusing on the ingredients in front of him. It has been a week since he seek his assistant’s help in baking a cake for Jinyoung’s birthday. Telling Jinyoung he had to work overtime, he had been spending his time after work at Jaebum and Youngjae’s place, trying and learning how to bake a simple sponge cake. Unfortunately though, he thought a week was enough to do it, but apparently, looking at the sad, flat “cake” in front of him right now, he was terribly mistaken.

“Well, at least it’s not as bad as the black lump you made the other day. Seriously, you could use it as a Frisbee. Or a weapon!” Jaebum snickered, but was completely silenced with a look from Youngjae. Mark huffed as the memory of nearly burning down his friends’ house crossed his mind.

“Shut up. I have to do this, okay? I want to surprise Jinyoung and the kids.” Mark said in frustration. He started mixing the ingredients again as Youngjae assisted him. “It’s been so long since we celebrated his birthday together and I want it to be memorable. Especially since we have the twins. I just want to make good memories for my family.”

“That’s sweet, Mark-hyung.” Youngjae smiled (“Hey! I’m sweet too!” Jaebum says in the background.) “Are you gonna ask him to marry you again?”

“I want to and hopefully nothing will go wrong this time.” Mark frowned helplessly as memories of his first two attempts came back to him.

The first one, well, it was definitely a fluke. Mark might have brought the engagement ring a week after Jinyoung and their kids moved in with him and although he really could not wait to spend the rest of his life with Jinyoung, he was not able to find the right timing. So as if his stupidity had not been proven many times already, Mark may have asked Jinyoung to marry him after the first time they again slept together.

The minute the question went out of his lips, Mark knew he would pay for it.

And he did. Big time. Jaebum might have choked a bit on his coffee when Mark told him the story the next day. He doesn’t blame his best friend. What kind of person in the right mind asks the love of his life to marry him after having ? It took a few days of flowers, balloons and cupcakes to make Jinyoung talk to him again, and Mark Tuan really did learn his lesson.

The second time was during their first date and Mark had made the night super special with him renting a hot air balloon for them to ride along and ending with a fireworks display as he will supposedly get down on his knees and ask Jinyoung to marry him. But to his luck, before the date even started, both he and Jinyoung had a case of stomach flu and had to spend the whole day on their bed. They even had to take the kids to Jaebum and Youngjae’s to babysit. A night filled of taking turns throwing up in the bathroom doesn’t really spell out a romantic proposal in Mark’s head.

After that, time seemed to get in the way. The kids started school and both he and Jinyoung became too busy with their jobs. Life was passing by so fast that the only time they are able to spend quality time was the few hours every night cuddled in the warmth of each other’s arms.

 That’s why Mark did take off work to prepare for Jinyoung’s birthday. His birthday this year falls in a Thursday, so they will have a dinner date with the kids of course. After that, Jaebum and Youngjae will come and babysit the twins, so that they’ll have their alone time. Mark also planned a trip on the weekend when they could visit Jinyoung’s family to have an extended celebration. Everything should go on perfectly.

If only he could bake this stupid sponge cake. Mark wants to have a breakdown.

 

 

Jinyoung might have woken up upon hearing some cluttering in the kitchen. He opened his eyes groggily as he tried reaching out to Mark, only finding his side of the bed empty. Shivering slightly at the absence of warmth beside him, Jinyoung stared at the clock in horror. It’s already half past six am and something is terribly wrong. He should’ve been awake an hour already. How on earth did he not hear the sound of his alarm clock?

Shooting up from his bed, Jinyoung was suddenly reminded of the reason why as he winced on the slight pain on his back. It was the a quarter midnight yesterday when Mark arrived home from work. A bit late, but still looking pretty damn good in his suit. So what else can Park Jinyoung do? The kids are already asleep. It’s his birthday the next day and there’s his boyfriend looking y as hell. Needless to say, Jinyoung might have pounced on Mark that night and they’ve been at it for hours; hence the forgotten alarm clock

And it’s not as if Mark would say no anyway.

 

After quickly putting on his pajamas, Jinyoung decided to go to the kitchen, 80% worried that Mark is there cooking and 20% giddy because whatever is waiting for him over there is definitely a surprise.

And Park Jinyoung likes surprises.

He’s not gonna lie though, he was very relieved when he didn’t see any signs of black smoke from the kitchen. Definitely a good sign.

Instead, he was welcomed by a view of Mark wearing an apron and actually preparing their breakfast. And Jinyoung could not even try to hide his smile as Mark finally noticed his presence while frying up scrambled eggs and bacon.

“Well, I could absolutely get used to this.” Jinyoung smiled as Mark beckoned him to come over. “Last time I checked, you couldn’t even crack open an egg, Mr. Tuan.” There was a huge silly grin on Mark’s face as he pulled Jinyoung closer. It made Jinyoung’s heart swell so much that he just opted to wrap his arms around his boyfriend tightly and bury his face on Mark’s neck to stop an embarrassing squeal from escaping his lips.

“You know I can do anything if I really set my mind on it.” Mark chuckled placing a soft peck on Jinyoung’s temple. “Hey, look at me.” To which the other one complied. Looking into each other’s eyes, Mark placed a hand on Jinyoung’s cheek. “Happy Birthday, Jinyoungie.”

This time, Jinyoung did not even try to hide the high pitched sound he made as Mark closed the distance and pressed a soft peck on his lips. “Thank you.” Jinyoung says after they parted, a bit breathless and quite honestly, wanting for more.

Mark might have noticed the slight frown on his face as a short laughter filled the entire kitchen. “Sorry we need to cut it short, Jinyoung-ah, but I’m still cooking breakfast and we couldn’t risk being carried away.”

“Aish…” Jinyoung felt the blush heating up his cheeks and it made him tighten his arms around Mark more. “You’re one to talk.” Jinyoung said as his fingers started playing on the straps of Mark’s apron. “You wearing this apron. It’s very y.”

Mark laughed at that. “Well, if you must know I also bought one for you. Couple aprons, can you believe they have that? Maybe we could try couple cooking, you know since I’m not burning the kitchen anymore?”

“I’d like that.” Jinyoung said with a smile.

“Or maybe you know…” Mark says as he whispered softly in Jinyoung’s ear. “Maybe we could ask Jaebum and Youngjae to babysit the twins one of these nights and maybe you could cook a special dinner for us wearing the apron and nothing else?”

Jinyoung looked up in disbelief as he saw the triumphant smile on Mark’s face. “Oh my God, Mark Tuan! That’s your plan all along, isn’t it?”

“Hey, come on. I’m serious.” Mark joked as he softly ran his hand on Jinyoung’s lower back. “Does your back hurt?” Jinyoung could hear the concern on his boyfriend’s voice.

“No, I’ll be fine.” Jinyoung assured. He honestly is. Well, as if he didn’t like what happened last night. He loved every minute of it.

“I’m sorry. I might have been a little…” However, Mark was cut off when it was Jinyoung this time that placed a kiss on his lips.

“Don’t apologize. Never say sorry about it.” Jinyoung shook his head. “I love you and I’ll always want it if it’s you, alright?”

“You know I love you too, Jinyoung-ah?” Mark asked and he was answered with a committed nod from Jinyoung. “So much.” He emphasized this with a kiss on Jinyoung’s cheek. “Now come on, wait for me at the table. The kids should be waking up soon and the bacon is getting burnt.”

“Nope.” Jinyoung stayed in his position with his arms still hugging his boyfriend’s torso close to him. “You’d have to figure out how to cook with me clinging on you.”

“Fine.”

 

“Appa!” Yieun came into the kitchen squealing with her stuffed penguin in her arms (a gift she received from Mark). She was then followed by her older twin, Jinsoo, who on the other hand was still very sleepy and came in sluggishly while rubbing his eyes.

“Yieun!” Jinyoung gasped as he detached himself from Mark and carried their daughter in his arms. “What did I say about running? You might fall down and hurt your knees. Do you want that?”

“I’m sorry, Appa.” Yieun says hugging her father and Jinyoung’s heart melted instantly. “I won’t do it again! I’m just excited because it’s your birthday! Happy birthday, Appa!”

“Thank you, my baby princess.” Jinyoung says as he placed Yieun on one of the kids’ seats.

“Yeah, Happy birthday too, Appa.” Jinsoo says sleepily after he climbed on his own chair. He has his face on his chin as he tried to keep himself awake. Jinyoung then ruffled his son’s hair.

“Thank you, little buddy.” Jinyoung laughs when Jinsoo protested that he’s already a big boy.

“Alright, who’s hungry?” Mark says as he placed the plates of eggs, bacons and pancakes on the table. Jinyoung watches as the twins looked up at their father with surprised faces.

“Papa… cooked?” Jinsoo says eyes widened and sleepiness all drained away.

“I did. Jinsoo-yah.” Mark says as he sat down on the seat beside Jinyoung.

“Is it safe?” Yieun asked Jinyoung worriedly as she tried to poke the pancake. “Appa, I’m scared.”

“Yah!” Mark protested as Jinyoung laughed heartily beside him. “Papa worked hard to cook you breakfast. You stubborn little cuties!”

 

Thankfully, all of them were fine and their whole family proceeded with their day. Both Mark and Jinyoung went home early to prepare for the birthday dinner. It was a small celebration as per Jinyoung’s request. Just a simple dinner that he cooked with only Jaebum, Youngjae and Yugyeom coming over to celebrate with them. Everything went well, and the twins’ birthday card for Jinyoung was so pretty and so precious he might have teared up a little when his babies handed it to him. It was a picture of them: him, Mark and the twins sitting on their couch.

Mark’s surprise came in a shape of a cake and Jinyoung swore he fell in love again. Youngjae might have filled him in with the news of how much Mark worked hard the past week just to surprise Jinyoung and he appreciates it so much. He knew Mark’s aversion with anything kitchen-related. It was a very cute and adorable gesture.

It warmed Jinyoung’s heart. He loves his family so much.

 

 

It was around eight when their party wrapped up. The twins will be staying the night at Jaebum and Youngjae’s, so Mark watched in amusement as Jinyoung fussed over the kids before they left. Mark wasn’t worried at all. The kids love playing with Youngjae and luckily (or unluckily), they seemed to be starting to warm up on Jaebum as well.

At that moment though, Mark was more worried about the diamond ring weighing in his left pocket.

“What’s wrong?” Jinyoung asked the moment he came back from the front door. Mark realized that he has been standing alone in the middle of the living room staring at absolutely nothing as he mull in his thoughts “Don’t tell me you think I’m babying our kids again. They’re four, Mark. And it doesn’t matter. I’ll baby them even when they’re sixty.”

Mark laughed. It was not even close on what was on his mind. “I wasn’t thinking about that. Come here.” Jinyoung looked uncertain, but he still went over to Mark. “You’re amazing.” He says as he wrapped his arms around Jinyoung. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Jinyoung sighed contentedly as he melted under Mark’s arms.

Mark pulled back after a few minutes. “Are you ready for your other surprise?”

“Another one?” Jinyoung raised his eyebrows as Mark nodded with a smile.

 

“Mark, what are we doing here?” Jinyoung looked around worriedly at the empty hallway and Mark could not blame him. “Are we even allowed back here?”

“Relax.” Mark reassured as he tightened the hand that’s interlaced with Jinyoung. “I’ve asked permission to the Dean. You don’t need to worry.”

“But still…” Jinyoung bit his lip and Mark nearly lost himself upon seeing it. “Why are we here? What’s the surprise?”

“You’ll see.” Mark said as they finally stopped walking in front of a certain classroom and Jinyoung gasped when he finally realized what was happening. “Remember when we first met?” Mark was smiling when he finally opened the door.

“How could I ever forget?” Jinyoung laughed nervously. “You’re so handsome back then I made up my mind to get your attention even if it’s the last thing that I would do.”

The classroom looked pretty much the same as back then except for the few posters pinned on the bulletin board. Mark grinned in satisfaction as the surprise was still etched on Jinyoung’s face. He slowly led Jinyoung to the same seats used before.

“I can’t believe so much time has passed since then.” Jinyoung said as he leaned his head on Mark’s shoulder. Their hands still intertwined on Mark’s armchair. “God we’re so young back then. I can’t believe my brilliant idea of flirting with you through a hangman game worked. So embarrassing.”

“Yeah, it was really lame if you think about it.” Mark joked which earn him a light slap on the arm. “But what can I say? I was whipped from day one.”

“Yes you are.” Jinyoung looked up as he used his free hand to reach out for Mark to face him so that they were only a breath away for each other. “And I just want you to know, I’m also whipped from the beginning too.” And Mark could not fight it anymore. Closing the gap between their lips, Mark felt everything. Park Jinyoung was his past, his present and his future. At some point he had always knew that Jinyoung was the one that completed him and he wanted this to last for the longest time possible.

That was why when he reached out for the black velvet box on his pocket, there was no hesitation in his heart anymore. He wants to live the rest of his life with Park Jinyoung with their twins and hopefully with many more kids to come.

 

That is, until the sound of Mark’s phone filled up the whole room.

 

“Answer it.” Jinyoung chuckled from his seat.

Mark groaned upon hearing the interruption, but he did start to worry when he saw that it was Jaebum from the caller ID. He knew that his best friend would never ever interrupt unless it was a real emergency.

“Jaebum, what’s up?” Mark asked as he saw Jinyoung stiffened beside him, concern evident on his face.

“Hey Mark,” Mark was starting to panic when he heard the worry on Jaebum’s voice. “Sorry. I know you don’t want me interrupting your night, but I know you’re gonna bury me alive if I don’t call you immediately. Jinsoo has a fever right now. If you want, we could bring him…”

“We’ll be there.” Mark said hurriedly.

 

 

“Papa, I’m sorry.” Jinsoo whispered as Mark carried him back from the car. They just came back from the hospital and Jinyoung was already inside the house with a sleeping Yieun in his arms. “Sorry for causing trouble to you and Appa.”

“Hey, come on, Jinsoo-yah.” Mark patted his son’s head. “It’s not your fault, okay? The only thing that you need to worry about is getting better and not be sick anymore. You’re a big boy now, right?”

“Okay.” Mark felt his son nodded on his shoulders.’

 

“Jinsoo’s fever has finally gone down. They’re sleeping.” Jinyoung said in relief as he sat beside Mark on the couch. Probably sensing the anxiety from his boyfriend, Jinyoung reached out for his hand. “Hey, are you alright?”

“What if it’s because of the food I cooked earlier, Jinyoung-ah?” Mark voiced his concern. His hand trembling slightly. “What if I’m the one who made my son sick?”

“Mark,” Jinyoung held Mark’s face in his hands.

“What if I’m not gonna be a good father?” Mark said with his voice shaking. “I keep saying that I want to have a big family with you, Jinyoung-ah, but what if I’m gonna be terrible at it?”

“Mark,” Jinyoung repeated looking directly into the other’s eyes. “I know you’re gonna interrupt me, so let me stop you right now. Okay? Listen to me. It’s not your fault. Even the doctor at the hospital says that it’s because of the weather. So please don’t blame yourself and do not ever, ever think that you’re gonna be a bad father. The kids love you so much and if that doesn’t spell out good father to you, I don’t know what else. You’re not gonna be perfect and there are times things will be very difficult, but it’s a learning process. Did you think that from the very start I knew what to do? I didn’t. I felt so alone and I was so scared of making any mistakes as well. But that doesn’t matter now, right? We have each other. You have me and I have you. We’ll make mistakes together and we’ll learn together, okay?”

“Okay.” And this time, it was Jinyoung who held Mark in his arms.

“Yah,” Jinyoung called. “You promised me one dozen kids. You’d have to hold your end of the bargain, okay?”

Mark finally chuckled. “Fine. Twelve kids it is.”

Jinyoung giggled as he buried his nose into Mark’s hair. “What do you say I make us some hot chocolate and let’s just watch one of your DVDs to wrap up my birthday, yeah?”

“Perfect.”

 

 

Jinyoung had just finished up making the hot chocolate using their favorite mugs when he heard Mark’s footsteps entering the kitchen. He looked up in surprise as he tried to hold both hot mugs in his hands.

“Hey, don’t worry I didn’t forget to put the tiny marshmallows on top.” Jinyoung chuckled, but soon enough his expression turned into confusion when Mark took both of the mugs and put them carefully on the kitchen table. “Mark, what are you— oh my God.” Jinyoung gasped in surprise as he watched Mark held both of his hands and kneeled on one knee in front of him. “Oh my God, Mark Tuan. Oh my God!”

“Shh, don’t interrupt, okay?” Mark kissed the back of Jinyoung’s hand as he took out the velvet box from his pocket. Jinyoung was in too much shock to even move or breathe upon seeing the silver band inside. His mind was too busy chanting, “He’s gonna propose! He’s gonna propose!” to fully comprehend how to react correctly as tears started to prickle his eye. “Jinyoung-ah. Jinyoungie. Park Jinyoung. From the very start, you’ve always been the one I wanted to spend my entire life with. You’re beautiful, you’re smart, you’re kindhearted and you’re perfect. You’re the only person I want to wake up to for the next thousands of days of my life. I want to be with you and see the many things that makes you, you. And I hope you want it too. I want us to see the weakest side of each other and learn to be stronger every step of the way. Thank you for coming to my life and thank you for blessing me with our two little babies. You’re a great father, so amazing and I want to be like you too. All those years that we’ve been together and the times when we weren’t, my heart didn’t waver, Jinyoung-ah. What am I saying? I’m so nervous. .” Mark looked up to him with an apologetic smile. “Look, I tried and failed so many times to propose to you, planned so many things, when all I want to say is, I love you. I want you to be my forever, Park Jinyoung. And I hope you feel the same way to me too. So here I am, Jinyoung-ah. Will you marry me?”

“Oh my God, Mark.” Jinyoung’s lips were trembling and his tears were starting to fall. Mark stood up worriedly as he held Jinyoung’s cheeks, wiping the trails of tears. “Mark we’re wearing sweatpants and we’re in our kitchen.”

“Uhh… Is that a no?” Mark panicked as Jinyoung shook his head furiously. “Wait, sorry. I’m confused. Are you shaking your head because you’re answer is yes or is that an ‘I hate your proposal, I’m not gonna marry you, you idiot’ kind of answer?”

Jinyoung snorted as tears continued to flow down his cheeks. “No.” Jinyoung replied. “It’s my ‘How dare you surprise me with this very stupid romantic proposal, you should have told me to change first in a more decent attire, and now I’m crying because you still haven’t put that beautiful ring on my finger, you’re such a hopeless idiot, Mark Tuan, but you’re my idiot Prince Charming and I love you and I want to marry you’ kind of answer.”

“That’s a yes, right?!” Mark asked excitedly, his smile getting wider and wider by the second.

“Oh my gosh, yes! YES! I’ll marry you!” Jinyoung cried as he jumped on his boyfriend… no, fiancé’s arms kissing him for all his worth. Mark almost lost his balance, but thankfully was able to carry Jinyoung’s weight as he clung onto him like a helpless, sobbing koala.

Jinyoung quickly wiped his tears as he willed himself to stop crying. He wanted to see Mark’s smile without having any restrictions and it was the same smile that made him fall many years ago. He cannot believe that they’ll spend the rest of their lives together.

But then again, he actually can. It has always been Mark Tuan for Park Jinyoung.

 

 

“Happy birthday, Jinyoung-ah.” Mark said as he carefully put on the ring on Jinyoung’s finger.

Jinyoung smiled contentedly as he admired the silver ring against the light. “Thank you, Mark.” He said as he placed another quick peck on Mark’s lips.

“So what do you wanna do now?” Mark asked as he carried Jinyoung in his arms heading for the couch. “You still want to watch a movie?”

“Hmm,” Jinyoung pretended to contemplate for a second. “My birthday isn’t over yet, maybe I still want to unwrap my other present?” He looked suggestively at Mark, who already had his eyebrows raised.

“You’re unbelievable.” Mark chuckled as he changed their direction towards their bedroom instead all the while capturing Jinyoung’s lips with his own, one hand already making its way inside the latter’s shirt.

“I know.” Jinyoung said as he pulled away and getting down from Mark’s arms. “Wait.”

“What?” Mark groaned impatiently which earned a laugh from Jinyoung.

“Let me check on the kids first. I’ll follow you to the bedroom.” Jinyoung said quickly.

“Fine. Go ahead.” Mark smiled as he patted Jinyoung’s . “Don’t make me wait too long, okay?”

Jinyoung laughed as he hesitantly let go off Mark’s hand. “Love you.”

“Love you too.” Mark answered. It did surprise Jinyoung though when Mark pulled back his hand to intertwine with his. “You know what, let’s check on them together.”

 

 

 


 

a/n:

here it is. my oneshot for #PrinceJinyoungDay

Hope you like it~

Gonna beta in a bit. Let me just eat dinner.

Have a nice day!