Of Little Surprises and Brand New Chances

Of Little Surprises and Brand New Chances

Park Jinyoung was a lot of things in Mark Tuan’s life. There was even a period in his life when his whole world revolved around the guy. Park Jinyoung was his first love, his first kiss, his first real relationship, his first first, his first a lot of things that when you ask Mark to recount them all, oh he could definitely recount the things to the tiniest detail.

Park Jinyoung was also his first heartbreak.

That’s the thing. Everything about Park Jinyoung can always be told as “was”. Always in the past tense, reminding him that everything, whatever they had before was already done.

Mark had always thought that Jinyoung was the one. They met during the first day of college when Mark was taking up pre-law while Jinyoung was majoring in Literature and both of them ended up taking some basic Philosophy class. For Mark it was absolutely not love at first sight, especially when Jinyoung stepped on his brand new white chucks while taking up the seat beside him. Nope, definitely not. Park Jinyoung did not even apologize.

Mark was busy spending at least half hour of class shooting daggers at the boy beside him, when the latter suddenly wrote something on his notebook and showed it to Mark. “It’s really boring, huh? Wanna play hangman?” Mark was supposed to send this stranger a huge huff, but the breathtaking smile the other was giving him was too much for him to refuse.

So yeah, maybe it wasn’t love at first sight for Mark Tuan. It was love at first smile.

(He would find out months later that the reason why Jinyoung did not apologize for stepping on his shoe was because he was too busy ogling at Mark’s (his words not Mark’s) handsome face to notice. But Mark was beyond over this, especially when Jinyoung made up for it the entire night.)

 

But as mentioned, everything was all in the past now. As cliché as it sounds, he did not know where everything went south. One day, they were happy, planning their future together, maybe a house and a dozen children, and the next day they were finding themselves arguing about how they have been dating for six years already, but Mark had not introduced Jinyoung to his family.

It happened one fateful night in their shared apartment. Mark at that time was already a second year law student, while Jinyoung was in a steady job working as a writer for a magazine company. Most nights they would arrive home, tired and overworked, but usually finding sanctuary on each other’s arms and everything will all be alright once more. But not that day especially when Mark arrived home to find Jinyoung crying on the couch.

It had been a complete blur and to this day, Mark was still confused about what happened. Mostly it was Jinyoung who talked crying if Mark will ever be ready to introduce him to his family or asking Mark why he was so ashamed of him. As usual, Mark did the most idiotic thing to do and he just stayed silent while holding Jinyoung in his arms. It’s not that he’s ashamed of Jinyoung. Never. He was over the moon proud of him. The thing is, Mark’s family is very traditional and he would do everything to keep them from hurting Jinyoung.

Jinyoung did not spend the night at their place and Mark’s biggest mistake was that he let him. Because that was the night the very last time he saw Park Jinyoung. The next few days was spent with Mark trying to tear up the whole city of Seoul trying to find the love of his life.

It was a week later when the doorbell rang once more and Mark was more than eager to open it. Unfortunately, it was Jinyoung’s cousin, Yugyeom, who’s there to collect his things.

Yugyeom was a good kid. He had always been close with Mark and he was definitely a shoulder to cry on in this desperate moment. However, Yugyeom, under Jinyoung’s strict instruction, never disclosed what happened. He was genuinely sympathetic though and was a very good drinking buddy. But that didn’t bring Park Jinyoung back to his life.

 

Fast forward to five years later and Mark Tuan was already heading his family’s law firm. With his building up reputation, he was definitely establishing his name as one of the best lawyers in Seoul.

Although, that does not mean he forgot about Park Jinyoung.

(And maybe most nights instead of thinking about his cases, his thoughts mostly consisted of Jinyoung, Jinyoung, Jinyoung…)

 

So it really came as a huge surprise for Mark when he suddenly received a call from Park Jinyoung that morning. He thought that all these years of just thinking about that one person plus sleep deprivation have finally caught up to him as Mark stared incredulously at the caller ID.

“H-hello?” Mark’s voice cracked a little as he answered the phone. His mind was running in circles as he tried to figure out what to say. After all, what do you say to that one person who invaded all your thoughts for the past years? “Jinyoung?”

“Mark, we need to talk.”

 

 

 

“I still can’t believe it.” Mark says frantically over the phone was pacing back and forth in his office. “I mean are you really sure?” It was the next day and the information still has not sunk in him or maybe he just refused to believe it.

“I’m pretty sure I did not imagine giving birth, Mark.” Jinyoung deadpanned.

“I just can’t believe…” Mark said breathlessly. “You can’t just spring this up on me, Park Jinyoung. I can’t believe I have a child—“

“Children.” Jinyoung corrected exasperatedly which was unfair for Mark. He’s not the one having a breakdown right now. “I told you they’re twins. And besides, I’ve been apologizing to you since yesterday.”

“I know. It’s just…” Mark sighed, still trying to process what the hell was happening here. There he was being miserable for years because of a guy who suddenly vanished from his life then suddenly receiving a phone call from that same person telling him he has a kid… kids. Not only that, but he was also given a one day notice that his children will be visiting Seoul to spend time with him over the weekend. So yeah, maybe Mark Tuan is still in a major denial period right now. “It’s just… Are you sure they’re mine?”

Mark knew he made a mistake once the words left his mouth. He did not mean to be a jerk about this, but the silence from the other line indicated that, yes, Mark Tuan, you are officially an .

“…How can you say that?” Jinyoung said quietly. “You’re the only one I’ve been with, Mark.”

Mark was caught off guard by this remark and as much as it betrays himself, he could not help the blush that tinted his cheeks. “I’m sorry, Jinyoung. I—“

“Look,” Jinyoung interrupted. “I’m sorry, alright? I know it’s a lot to take in right and I will understand if you’re not ready.to meet them right now. I get it. It’s just that I rarely have the chance to go to Seoul and if I didn’t tell you about them right now, I don’t think I’ll ever get the courage to. So yeah, I know it’s a mistake from the moment I called you and again, I’m sorry.”

“Do they know me?” Mark says quietly as he sat down on his chair. For some reason, as much surprise he had since yesterday, he knew it wasn’t easy for Jinyoung as well. “I mean, the kids. Do they know I’m their dad?”

“Yeah,” Jinyoung replied. “Especially now that they started school, they’ve been asking a lot about you. It’s not like I’m gonna hide them for you forever. They’ve seen your pictures and all that.”

There was a lump on Mark’s throat as he listened in. He’s a dad. He has twins. Oh my God. Mark Tuan is a father. “I want to meet them.”

“Are you sure?” Jinyoung asked with a hint of uncertainty. “You really don’t have to if you’re not—­­“

“I want to.” Mark answered. “Besides, I think it’ll be easier for me to deal if I spend time with them.”

“Thank you, Mark.”

 

 

“Mark-hyung,” Mark looked up from his desk as his assistant, Youngjae came in his office. “Your 2 o’clock appointment is here.”

“Alright, send them in.” Mark took a deep breath as he stood up from his seat. All right this is it. Moment of truth. He keeps telling himself as he quickly sent a “SOS. Come to my office this instant!!!” text to his best friend, Im Jaebum. He began fixing his tie which for some reason seemed to be tighter than usual.

Mark Tuan might have said he wanted to meet his kids, but that doesn’t mean he’s not nervous as heck.

Especially if this means meeting Park Jinyoung after five years.

 

Only, it wasn’t Jinyoung.

 

“Mark-hyung! It’s been a long time!” Yugyeom’s greeting filled up his office as he came in, but Mark wasn’t paying attention. He would deal about the tinge of disappointment of not seeing Jinyoung later, but right now his eyes are glued to the two little children hiding behind Yugyeom’s leg.

“Hyung?” Yugyeom called once more which finally got Mark’s attention.

“Ah yes, I’m sorry.” Mark replied as he watches the little boy, (his son, Mark reminded himself) stares back at him as he pulled his little luggage on one hand and his little sister’s (his daughter, Mark noted once more) hand to sit on the leather couch. Both children’s eyes are staring quietly at him.

“You must be expecting Jinyoung-hyung to come in.” Yugyeom scratched his head absentmindedly. “He’s actually at a client meeting right now. Kind of last minute that’s why he asked me to come.”

“No, it’s fine.” Mark says as he finally shook Yugyeom’s hand. “And you’re right. It has been a long time. It’s good to see you again.”

“Likewise, I can’t believe you, wow.” Yugyeom said in awe as looked around the office. “Look at this place!” He then cleared his throat as he took a seat beside the twins. “Anyway, that’s not what I came here for. Come on, kids.”

Mark watches as the twins stood up from the couch.

“This is your eldest, Jinsoo,” Yugyeom explained as he held the little boy with bowl cut hair almost reaching his eyebrows. “He really looks like you, isn’t he?” There was a small noise coming from the little boy which Mark took as a sign of protest. “And this is Yieun, your little girl.” His daughter wearing braided pigtails looked up to him smiling shyly. Mark couldn’t help but be reminded of Jinyoung when little crinkles appeared on her eyes.

“Hello, Mr. Tuan.” The twins bowed to him in sync and there was a small ache in his heart when his children called him “Mr. Tuan.” Well, it’s not as if he expected his kids to run into his arms. Well, he wished they did to be honest.

Mark felt his throat dry up. “Hi, kids.” He only hesitated a half a moment as he took a step towards the twins. “Ready to spend time with me?” He says bending down as he held one small hand each. He tried to catch his breath as finally, finally reality sinks into him. They’re real.

Yieun nodded shyly at him as Jinsoo looks up Yugyeom. “You can go now, Uncle Yugyeom.”

“Aish, I know.” Yugyeom ruffled the little boy’s head. “Hyung, Jinsoo can be a stubborn baby sometimes so watch out for him.” That earned a loud “Uncle Yugyeom!” whine from Jinsoo. “Anyway, yeah. I do have to leave right now. I have a class in a bit. So be good kids, okay? And listen to your dad.” Yugyeom then turns to Mark. “Hyung, it’s really great to see you. Let’s catch up soon, alright?”

“Anytime,” Mark smiled. “You know where to find me.”

 

 

“Oh my God, Mark Tuan they’re real.” Jaebum gasped as he entered Mark’s office while Jinsoo and Yieun sat on the carpet while drawing doodled on some of Mark’s paperwork from old cases.

“Shut up, Jaebum.” Mark says as he tried to finish signing some of the documents from earlier. Im Jaebum is Mark’s best friend; has been since elementary school. They’ve been classmates up until law school so it only made sense that Jaebum works as a partner in their law firm. Still, sometimes Mark wants to stuff shredded papers down Jaebum’s throat especially when he says a lot of stupid things.

“Still,” Jaebum says as he joined the children on the floor and started drooling himself. “Hi kids! My name is Im Jaebum. You could call me Jaebum-hyung, Jaebum-oppa. Just not Uncle Jaebum, okay?”

“You’re an ahjussi.” Jinsoo deadpanned as Yieun giggled beside him. “Jaebum-ahjussi.”

“Mean!” Jaebum whined as Mark rolled his eyes. Which again is the preschooler here? “Just like Mark! I thought you only look like your dad, but you’re exactly like him!”

There was again that little whine from Jinsoo, which Mark didn’t fail to notice. He really must’ve hate being told that he look like me.

“How about you little girl?” Jaebum bats his eyes at Yieun who immediately looked scared. “Do you think I look like an ahjussi?” Yieun gasped and ran into her father’s lap, while Jinsoo tried to tackle Jaebum.

“Ahjussi is scary.” Yieun whispered to Mark as he carried her on his lap.

“For God sake’s, Im Jaebum.” Mark glared at his best friend. “I forbid you to be creepy to my daughter.”

Jaebum raised both of his hands in defeat. “Protective as always. I remember how you were when you were still with Jinyoung. You look like ready to kill whenever somebody comes five feet from him.”

“Shut up.” Well, it’s kind of true, but his kids didn’t have to know that.

“You still made Appa cry.” Jinsoo said quietly as he resumed drawing from his seat and both Mark and Jaebum stared at him. “Appa always tells us that you’re his Prince Charming and you always saved him whenever he’s in trouble or sad, but sometimes when he thinks we’re asleep he still cries because he loves you. If you’re really his Prince Charming, why aren’t you there when Appa’s sad anymore?”

The guilt feeling in Mark’s gut returns once more.

“Hey, that’s not fair.” Jaebum protested. “Your dad doesn’t know, okay? Jinyoung was the one who…”

“Jaebum,” Mark shook his head and this time Jaebum did shut up.

“That’s why I won’t let you make Appa cry anymore.” Jinsoo said.

Jaebum chuckled quietly. “He’s definitely a little Mark Tuan,” Which earned him a glare from Jinsoo.

“Is it true, Yieunnie? Does Appa cry?” Mark asked Yieun who started her own doodles on the documents on the table. Normally Mark would’ve thrown a fit by now since those were legal documents and he should be having a hard attack, but what the hell his daughter has some legit chubby, fluffy cheeks. He can ask Youngjae to print another set later.

Yieun looked up at him with eyes wide. “Yeah, he misses you a lot.” There was a moment of hesitation from Yieun. “Do you miss Appa too?”

Mark nodded with a smile. “Yeah, so much.”

“Appa will be happy.” Yieun squealed silently.

“Really?” Mark asked.

“Really.” Yieun nodded enthusiastically as she looked up to Mark with the same crinkly eyed smiled. “Can I call you Papa?”

“Of course.”

“You know, Papa,” Yieun said. “Jinsoo-oppa is right. Appa would always tell us that you’re his Prince Charming, but I don’t really blame you for not being there with us. Appa said that Papa was not ready yet, but that doesn’t mean that Papa isn’t brave.”

“Why do you say that?”

Yieun smiled brightly at him. “Because Papa is a Prince Charming and Prince Charming will always come save the Princess in the end, right?”

 

 

And so Mark Tuan’s weekend with his children begins.

 

 

“Papa, I want strawberry ice cream!” Yieun squeaks as her little hands pull her father to an ice cream shop with Jinsoo rolling his eyes as he followed them. They had just finished eating dinner (in a fried chicken restaurant because that’s what Jinsoo requested.)

“What do you want Jinsoo?” Mark asked his son as they finished ordering Yieun's.

“I don’t want one.” Jinsoo said with his nose in the air. He might be feeling a little betrayed that Yieun is already calling their dad ‘Papa’. “Appa said that ice cream’s bad for your teeth.”

Mark smiled kindly at his son. “Come on, you know Appa’s not here. As long as you brush your teeth before you go to sleep everything’s gonna be fine. It’ll be our secret.”

“Really?” Jinsoo looked up at him hesitantly. “Appa wouldn’t know?”

Mark nodded with a smile.

“I want chocolate ice cream.”

 

 

By the time they arrived home, both Jinsoo and Yieun have fallen asleep. Mark looked fondly through his rear view mirror at his twins leaning toward one another and both sitting on the car seats he may have ordered in panic earlier.

How can they be so cute?

Mark was still trying to figure out how to carry two little four year olds to his apartment when Jinsoo who has finally woken up pulled on his sleeve.

“I had fun today when we ate ice cream. Thanks, Papa.” Jinsoo said sleepily.

“No problem, little buddy.”

 

 

“Papa, papa. Look here!” Yieun pulled his hand as she tried to show her father a photo from the phone she was holding (Apparently Jinyoung was too worried that there might be an emergency anytime, so he left the twins a phone to contact him anytime). The three of them were already in bed as Jinsoo tried to cover his ears due to his sister’s excited squeals. “This is our house in Jeju. Isn’t it nice? It’s near the beach too! And here was our picture last year! Look! Jinsoo-oppa was covered in icing…”

Mark laughed with his daughter, but all the while, his heart clenched whenever he sees Jinyoung in the photos. Jinyoung has always been the most breathtakingly beautiful person that he met in his entire life. How is possible that he’s even becoming more beautiful the past few years?

“I really wish Papa will be there on our next birthday.” Yieun looked at him with hopeful eyes.

“Yieun!” Jinsoo reprimanded. “You know Papa’s really busy.”

“I know…” Yieun looked at Jinsoo sadly. “Sorry, Papa.”

“Who says I won’t be there?” Mark says as the twins looked up at him. “I’ll see you on your birthday.”

“Really?” Yieun clenched his sleeves. “You promise?” as she offered her pinky finger.

“Promise.” Mark replied as he curled his pinky with his daughter’s.

It was then that he only realized that holy he still doesn’t know when their birthday is. Better ask Jinyoung about that too.

 

 

“Holy , what the happened here?” Jaebum gasped from the doorway as he watched gray smoke coming from Mark’s kitchen.

“Language!” Mark’s head appeared from the kitchen as he watches Jaebum come in. It was a little over seven in the morning and Mark was supposed to surprise his twins with breakfast. Well, supposed to. There was a reason Mark Tuan doesn’t cook ever. He watches sadly at the cloud of smoke.

“What?” Jaebum shrugged. “The kids are asleep aren’t they?”

“Yeah,” Mark pointed the spatula at his best friend. “But watch your tongue or I’m gonna smack you with this.”

Jaebum shook his head. “You know you could be a lot kinder to the person who’s saving your .”  Mark shoot him a glare as Jaebum placed a paper bag full on the table. “Here. Youngjae made that. He would’ve loved to come here and played with the kids, but he’s so sleep deprived. Would you mind not overworking your assistant?”

“Give me a break,” Mark sighed. “I’m still dealing over the fact that my best friend and my assistant are dating.”

“ to be you then,” Jaebum winked with a triumphant smile. “Seriously, Mark you’ve been in love with the same guy for more than a decade.”

“So?” Mark asked. “It’s not a crime.”

“It’s not.” Jaebum sighed exasperatedly. “But if you really felt that way, why aren’t you with Jinyoung right now?”

Mark looked quietly at Jaebum. Of course he knew Jaebum has a point, but he would never ever give the other the satisfaction so he did the next best thing in his mind as he threw a charred, burnt toast he was making earlier at Jaebum.

“Hey!”

“.”

“Papa, language!” Both Mark and Jaebum gasped as Jinsoo and Yieun stood on the kitchen’s doorway, both hands on their ears.

“I’m out.” Mark resisted the urge to throw another toast at Jaebum as the latter cackled evilly before leaving the house.

 

 

“So guys what do you want to do today?” Mark says as he watched his kids eat their cereals. It was already Sunday morning and he can’t believe how much time passed. He just wished his legs weren’t aching from all the walking they did yesterday (He thought it was a brilliant idea to bring the kids to Lotte World, but he should’ve known that running around with two energetic kids will come bite him in the . God, he really needs to start working out again.)

Both Jinsoo and Yieun shrugged probably since they don’t know which places to go to in Seoul.

“Do you want to watch some movies?” Mark suggested as he remembered the collection of Disney Princesses DVD collection Jinyoung might’ve left in his possession years ago.

“Yay!” The light on the twins’ eyes when they both smiled to him was enough to make Mark’s heart clench. He tried to describe himself by cleaning the milk on Yieun’s lips.

I can’t believe you guys are leaving tomorrow.

 

 

Mark cannot feel both of his legs as he was jolted awake by the sound of the TV. It was already past six in the evening and both Jinsoo and Yieun are sleeping on his lap. He sighed briefly as he reached for the remote to mute the movie, not wanting to wake his kids. He better prepare dinner soon.

By dinner he meant the spaghetti Youngjae sent him earlier, because Mark Tuan will never learn to cook overnight.

Making sure that both his kids are sleeping comfortably on the sofa, Mark was about to proceed to the kitchen. That is, until he heard the sound of a ringing phone from his bedroom. It wasn’t his, so he assumed it was the kids’ phone. Probably Jinyoung wanted to check up on them.

Mark gulped.

Still, he fetched the phone from the bedroom and there it is, Jinyoung’s face flashing before the screen.

He gulped again.

 “Jinyoung?” Mark answered.

Jinyoung was frantic. “Hello? Mark? Is that you?” Mark can hear Jinyoung was out of breath probably getting ready to run in case something happened. “Where are the kids?”

“Asleep.” Mark answered feeling the need to assure Jinyoung that everything’s fine. “Calm down. What’s wrong?”

“I… They’re okay?” Jinyoung sounded like he was trying really hard not to freak out on Mark at the moment. “They’re okay. I thought something happened. They have not called me since last night. I thought… But you’re not calling me either so I’m thinking that I might just be overreacting. But I can’t just sit around and try to convince myself…”

“They’re fine.” Mark assured once again. If he really knew Jinyoung, Mark knows that he needed to hear it. “I promise. Do you really think I’ll let anyone harm them? They’re my kids too, you know.”

“I know that.” Jinyoung said in frustration. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by acting like this. Of course I trust you’ll protect them, but this is the first time I’ve been away from them for so long… I— I’m just… I’m sorry, Mark.”

“No worries,” Mark answered. “Besides, you’ll be seeing them tomorrow morning, right?”

“Right,” Jinyoung exhaled in relief. “You’re right.

There was a brief moment of silence on both ends of lines, but that sliver of a second was enough for Mark to crumble his resolve. Those three words weighs heavy on his tongue as the desire to tell them to Jinyoung right now consumed him bit by bit, so instead he says. “They’re amazing kids. You’ve raised them well.”

“Thanks.” Jinyoung answered quietly. “Coming from you, it meant a lot to me.”

“Right.”

“Thank you. For everything, Mark.”

“Anytime.”

Somehow, hearing those words seem so final.

But Mark doesn’t want it to end.

 

 

Yugyeom was the one who picked the twins up from his office the next day. Yieun was crying and clinging onto Mark so much that it took both Yugyeom and Youngjae to pry her away (and Mark wasn’t too enthusiastic to let go either.) Jinsoo, on the other hand, stayed quiet through the whole ordeal and just held Mark’s hand until it was really, really time to go.

Mark watched from the building’s entrance as Yugyeom and the kids got onto the taxi. To his surprise, however, Jinsoo wiggled out of Yugyeom’s hold and went running back to his father.

“Papa,” Jinsoo signaled that he wanted to whisper something to him and Mark obliged. “Check your phone later, alright? Yieun and I left some of our photos with you so you won’t forget us, okay?”

“Will do, buddy.” Mark replied as he tried to fight the tears glistening in his eyes. How can I even forget you two?

“And don’t forget about your promise.” Jinsoo took out his pinky finger. “You’re gonna be there on our birthday, right? You promised Yieun.”

“Definitely.” He said as he sealed the promise with his son.

 

 

To say that Mark was in a terrible mood that morning was an understatement. That’s why when Jaebum came bursting in his office, Mark was 100% done.

“What the are you still doing here?!” Jaebum was fuming as he pulled on Mark out of his chair. “Are you really this dumb, Mark Tuan?”

“What the hell, Jaebum?” Mark threw the paperwork he’s been trying to read the past ten minutes. “I can’t deal with your right now.”

“MY ?” Jaebum laughed sarcastically. “It’s not MY , Mark. It’s yours. What are you doing, letting them go?”

Mark raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“It’s the same thing that happened with Jinyoung before!” Jaebum waved his arms in frustration. “You did not chase after him! And now you’re doing it again! Only this time, it’s not only Jinyoung you’re letting go of, it’s your children for ’s sake! You love him and you love them and God only knows why, but they seem to love you too! So why the hell are you sitting on your chair and not frantically driving your way to the airport right now! What exactly are you afraid of, Mark?! Are you seriously gonna spend the next years… decades just sulking around and never taking action? Not everyone’s given the chance that you have now and if you don’t take it and keep it as your own, you might lose them forever!”

Jaebum was out of breath as he let go of Mark’s collar.

“. What time is their flight?”

Jaebum snorted. “, the plane is leaving at this very moment. But don’t you worry, Youngjae has called in your dad’s private jet already and you’ll be leaving in fifteen minutes.” Jaebum then checked his watch for dramatic effect.

“My dad’s…” Mark frowned in confusion. “How the hell were you able to do that?”

“I might’ve told your parents about Jinyoung and the twins.” Jaebum shrugged.

“YOU WHAT?!” Mark gasped.

“Seriously, that’s what you’re worried about?” Jaebum shook his head. “Please. Your parents love me and couldn’t be any more delighted about hearing your kids. Besides, I think they’ve known about Jinyoung all along and I think Auntie’s actually shopping for children’s clothes as we speak so…”

“What the heck…” Mark has to take a minute to digest all this information right now. It’s making him dizzy.

“Like I said, what exactly are you afraid of? Now come on,” Jaebum pushed Mark to the door. “I’ll cover your clients today. It’s your time to finally take action, Mark. Make it count.”

 

 

For some divine intervention Mark’s plane arrived in Jeju shy of five minutes before Jinyoung’s does, but that’s beside the point. These five minutes of waiting as he stood nervously at the arrivals area was the longest in his life. And as Mark watches the newly arrived passengers get out one by one, he felt the mixture of anxiety, fear and excitement bubble up in his guts.

It was Yieun who first spotted him waiting shyly among the crowd of people. “Papa!” Mark laughed in surprise as his daughter ran to his arms. Mark watches as finally, finally he meets Park Jinyoung again and he still feels the same breathtaking sensation in his heart once again if not stronger than before.

“M-mark?” Jinyoung’s eyes widened at him. The hand holding his son, Jinsoo tightened. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve been stupid.” That’s the first thing that came out of Mark’s mouth. Well, that’s the truth anyway, so what the hell. “But I’m not anymore. I’m not letting you go anymore. All of you. I’m sorry that I wasn’t there before. I’m sorry that I’ve been afraid, because I want to be with you, Park Jinyoung. Always had and it never changed. I’m here to stay and if you let me, I want us to be a family with Jinsoo and Yieun and if you still want a dozen kids, that’s no problem. I’ll work hard. I mean,” He cleared his throat nervously, because Jinyoung was just staring at him. “I mean, if you’ll let me, but you know I’m not gonna let go easily this time.”

“Appa,” Jinsoo tugged at Jinyoung’s hand, which seemed to snap him out of his thoughts. “Say something.”

“You still look the same,” Jinyoung blurted out. So maybe Park Jinyoung wasn’t good at these kinds of situation as well. “You didn’t age at all. How?”

“Back at you.” Mark said in confusion. Apparently, Jinyoung has decided to disregard Mark’s speech entirely.

“I told you, Appa.” Yieun giggled as she was carried in her father’s arms. “Papa still look like your Prince Charming.”

Jinyoung blushed at that and Mark fought the urge to touch the other’s cheeks.

“Well then,” Jinyoung said when he seemed to finally collect himself. (Although his pink ears are still dead giveaways) “If Prince Charming wants to have a dozen children then he may have to treat us to dinner first, because Appa needs energy, right?” Jinyoung then started walking to the airport exit, still holding Jinsoo’s hand while Mark and Yieun followed.

Jinsoo breathed a sigh of relief as he looked back sending Mark thumbs up. It did not take long for the father and daughter catch up. Mark took a chance to glance at Jinyoung, but the other was still looking ahead. The obvious pink was still on his cheeks and Mark couldn’t help but smile. Sometimes Mark’s free hand would brush up with Jinyoung’s and Mark found himself blushing too. The next time their pinkies accidentally entwined, Mark did not let go and Jinyoung didn’t as well. Not that they want to.

Yes, everything will be alright.

 

 

 

(A few months down the road…)

 

“Papa, look I can do it by myself now!” Jinsoo waved at them proudly as he cycled away. Yieun meanwhile whined in frustration as she did not want to lose to his big brother since her bike still has training wheels.

Jinyoung groaned in frustration as he bit angrily at his cone of vanilla ice cream.

“What?” Mark sighed contentedly as he wrapped his arms around his husband’s waist in a tight back hug. He was resting his chin on Jinyoung’s shoulders as the other started playing lazily at his fingers.

“They call you Papa, they call me Appa…” Jinyoung sighed. “Sometimes I get confused if they’re calling you or me.”

“Well, what do you want?” Mark chuckled. “Do you want them to change it? As if there’s a lot of choices. Aren’t you the one who told me last night that you’re the only one who could call me “Daddy”?”

Jinyoung gasped incredulously as he turn around while Mark snickered. “Mark Tuan, I swear!”

“What?” Mark asked as he sneaked a kiss on Jinyoung’s cheek. “You know you love me.” He then ran off to help Yieun with her bike

“Yah!” Jinyoung called after him. There was however a small smile on his face.

Because yeah, he absolutely loves Mark Tuan too.

 


 

Hi!!!

a/n: thanks so much for reading! I hope you like it. ^^

And yeah, in the meantime this is a oneshot. I may be adding a few drabbles (some family!au and domestic!au) here and there especially when I'm feeling very fluffy, but I'll mark it complete haha.

Like I mentioned in the foreword, this has been in my mind for weeks and I have a lot of plot bunnies in my head right now. huhu. Maybe eight or nine (And counting!) so i hope to write them all soon.

Again thank you, and if you're still reading this, have a good day! <3