Five

Yearning For Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks pass since Hyeri's date with Yuta and things are definitely not getting any easier. 

Hyeri spends more time with that guy instead of her best friend and I hate to admit it but I’m jealous. 

I don't want to be selfish but I wish I can keep her for myself.

“I’m really really really sorry but I have plans with Yuta,” Hyeri apologises, “I promise I’ll make it up to you!” 

Second time this week... 

"That's okay," I lie. "We're still studying tomorrow right? You know we have a test next week." 

"Of course, Mother! It's not like you'll ever let me forget," she teases and I roll my eyes playfully in response. 

"OK, be good kid." I pat her head and we part ways. 

To be honest, I'm surprised to see how well I'm acting like this doesn't bother me at all. Luckily, Hyeri is still as dense as ever so she doesn't suspect a thing. 

Lost in my thoughts, I bump into someone just before I exit the school grounds.

I briefly bow and apologise until the stranger pipes up, "Hi Taeyong."

A girl looking down and fiddling her fingers faces me. 

I think she was in my chemistry class last year... 

Unable to fully identify her, I smile and greet her back. 

"I'm not sure if you remember me but we were in the same English class last year."

"Ah yes, was it Bo-" I hesitate, "Bo...."

"-young. My name is Boyoung," She finishes. "Anyway, how was your weekend?" She adds.

"It was ordinary I guess," I reply without much thought. 

She pouts before looking down at the floor. 

"Well I-I was just wondering if...if you were free this Friday?" 

Wait? Is she asking me out on a date? 

"Don't worry if you're not!" She interjects, "I just thought that maybe we could hang out after school."

"You and I?" 

She nods, still looking down. 

I catch a glimpse of Hyeri from far away behind Boyoung past the school gates as she finally meets Yuta. They hug and he plants a kiss on her forehead. A smile automatically appears and a huge pang hits my chest once again.

Before fully realising I say, "Of course, that would be great."

"Really?" Boyoung lifts her head and a huge smile plasters on her face. 

I nod raising the corners of my lips hesitantly. 

There's no way I can back out of this now. 

"How about I meet you here on Friday?" I suggest. 

I mean there's no harm in hanging out with her, it's not like Hyeri has the time to anymore. 

"Perfect!" She chirps. "I guess I'll see you then," she continues bashfully. 

"See you."

What just happened? Maybe this is God's way of telling me it's time to move on. Hyeri will always be my best friend and there's a possibility that that is all we will ever be. Boyoung is cute and a nice girl, there's no reason why I wouldn't be into her? Right?

 

*

 

It's the next morning and thankfully Haechan and I arrive to school earlier than usual. We've been in trouble way too many times for being tardy and lets just say that I'd like to blame Haechan for it. We promptly enter homeroom and begins the registration. Once all the notices have been said we are given a couple of minutes before first period starts. 

"HYERI!" Haechan screeches as he runs towards her.

"HAECHAN!" Hyeri imitates him and I chuckle. These two have always had the same silly humour. 

"You will not believe it." 

"Believe what?" Hyeri asks, intrigued.

"You know Lee Boyoung?" He exclaims, "Yesterday she asked Taeyong out on a date!"

Hyeri's widened eyes become prominent as she reiterates, "Boyoung asked Taeyong out on a date?"

"We're just hanging out, that's all," I explain. "It's not a big deal."

"IT IS A BIG DEAL," Haechan pronounces as he raises his hands into the air maniacally. 

I roll my eyes just before I smack his head, "You're the only one making a big deal out of this."

Hyeri chuckles awkwardly, "Yeah Haechan...so a cute girl asked him out? It's not like that's the first time that has happened before." 

Haechan remains electrified at the thought. "But this is Boyoung we're talking about! She's totally cute. And even forever alone Taeyong didn't hesitate to say yes."

"Didn't hesitate to say yes?" Hyeri repeats.

I rub the back of my neck nervously. It's not like I was eager to go on this date, I just wanted to get the thought of Hyeri with Yuta out of my system.

"He's obviously exaggerating," I respond. "But," I add, "she is a pretty girl and she was in my English class last year. We had some good chats so maybe it could go somewhere."

That was obviously a lie. I don't even remember much of her. Why am I being so pathetic and trying to make her jealous?

Hyeri scoffs, unimpressed. "You guys are all the same. Only caring about looks."

"Well at least Yuta's different huh?" Haechan responds, "or else why would he be dating an ugly monkey like you." He sticks his tongue out and attempts to run away but Hyeri catches him on time and headlocks him. 

"HELP! HELP!" He cries and I pull the two away. 

"I was only joking Hyeri! Forgive me," Haechan immediately pleads. "But for real, who can blame him?" Haechan continues and turns to face me with envy, "You're a lucky man."

"Honestly Haechan, if you focused this much passion for studying as much as you do with girls then you'll be top of the class," Hyeri states. 

"You're one to talk," I tease. 

"I'm only learning from the best," she winks. "So," she pauses, "When is this date happening?"

"We're meeting after school on Friday," I say. 

"That's quick," Hyeri notes, "I was hoping we could go karaoke that day."

"I told you he was eager!" Haechan interjects. 

I side eye Haechan. 

"Well I thought you were probably busy hanging out with that Yuta again." I say rather resentfully and I know I shouldn't have by Hyeri's response.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She folds her arms defensively.

Noticing the sudden rise in tension, Haechan squeezes in to say, "Why don't we all just hang out tonight? We'll go to karaoke and then Taeyong will treat us to some bubble tea."

I smack the back of Haechan's head once again. "What makes you think that I'm going to treat you?"

Haechan rubs his head and shrieks an exaggerated cry. "You better not show this side of you to Boyoung this soon or she'll never be your girlfriend!"

I shoot a death glare before glancing at Hyeri.

"I don't intend for her to be my girlfriend. It's just one date." I explain. "Besides, we need to study tonight. You could use some help too Haechan."

I sigh internally. I don't know why I need to explain this to her. Why do I care so much? Why do l feel bad even though I haven't done anything wrong? She's the one gallivanting with that Yuta guy while I'm out here trying to act like as if nothing is wrong. She has no idea how much this is hurting me. But in the end it's all my fault. It's not like I have the courage to tell her how I truly feel. 

"Thanks for the offer my friend but...I'm...busy..." Haechan interrupts my train of thoughts 

"You were making plans with us Haechan," Hyeri says flatly.

"Yeah but something just came up...something with...the Government. Yes the Government! They need me," Haechan lies as he swiftly makes a run for it. "Bye losers!"

"What an idiot," I mutter.

"Yeah," Hyeri laughs but I can tell that it's a forced one.

What's up with her?

"I guess I'll just see you later then." She bids farewell with a little wave but for some reason she avoids to look directly at my face.

I look down in confusion but realise that I'll manage to get it out of her sooner or later like I always do. 

 

*

 

"Can you help me with this?" She pleads rather embarassed. 

Hyeri and I begin studying for the exams next week. We settle in my bedroom as usual, with me propped up on my bed and her on the floor. Neither of us bring up the conversation from this morning but I am sure that there were things still left unsaid. 

"Of course, what don't you get?" I scooch closer to her and I notice her fidgeting slightly.

"What's wrong?" I add. "Do you want to sit on the bed instead?"

"No no, it's fine!" She waves her hands vigorously. 

I narrow my eyes, suspicious at the way Hyeri is acting. She's always so relaxed but right now she's being awkward. I decide to shrug it off for the time being as I explain the problems to her carefully.

To my surprise, she's actually listening to my explanation intently.

"I think I get it now," she says quietly, completely avoiding my gaze. 

"You sure?" I say, worried. 

She nods while taking a subtle gulp. 

Something's weird. But I can't pinpoint it. 

I settle back into my position beside the window and say, "What's changed your mind about studying huh?" 

Hyeri finally looks into my eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter