Caramel Truffle

At The Other Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝Dear Yixing~

Uwah~ It’s pretty! I like it a lot, too much I had to find something as cute as your pen. I had an awful day today ㅠㅠ I did this one time job at this big media company and the boss grilled the hell out of me for not knowing his name. I mean it was my fault ;n; But I behaved and worked really efficiently, not like those other girls who I think only signed up because the boss looked like a god. Hmpf > <  Sighhhhhh .___. I left my phone at his secretary’s office so I emailed my friend if she could take my phone out of that place. I felt embarrassed and I don’t want to face that boss ever again. He also humiliated me in front of the other girls so, yeahㅠㅠ

I went to a stationery shop and planned to only buy another sets of letters, but I went out of the shop with more than what I intentionally wanted; one of those was a pen. How’s it sparkling blueness? Hehe~ You must be thinking, “Ah this girl favorite color is blue then” but (insert loud siren sound here) blue isn’t my favorite color. My favorite color is silver. But if I use silver pen, you might have a harder time reading the things I wrote for you! So I stayed with the best color to use! But I also like purple~ and periwinkle~ and lavender~ yada yada~ Haha!

Mhm… I think since I like angst (it’s not weird yo hehe), I want it to continue this way: The Moon Rabbit got so sick for centuries. Soooooooo sick, he turned into a mortal human. Thus, he couldn't create elixirs anymore. He could have chosen to die immediately to stop the pain but he believed Fox Lady would come back. All he wanted was for Fox Lady to know he loved her so much, and he would not ask anything else in return. Then after 1000 years, Fox Lady came back to Moon Rabbit, but she was already human. Turns out, she wasn’t capable of falling in love after all those times! Poor Fox-chan~ ㅠㅠ However, she saw one way out: to not eat any humans for 1000 years, then she should become a human who wascapable to do anything her heart desired! Now how did she do it? She asked for the Gods to make her sleep for 1000 years. Why did God grant her wish? Because Lady Fate told God Moon Rabbit and Fox Lady were meant for each other. So after 1000 years, Fox Lady went back to Moon Rabbit. Moon Rabbit frantically searched for all the elixir he had. However, Fox Lady expressed everything and they learned they were both humans who were free to do anything! Then they got married, a family, and live happily ever after!!!

You know what? I just realized this. I should have not asked you a lot of cat questions through letters because I will not have anything to ask you when we finally meet. Stupid Xinran. I hope I’ll still be as talkative to you in person as I am here in words. I might be shy at first cos I'm deciphering what to do next, I guess... And please~ you make it sound as if you live a very lonely life! 

Please always have adequate sleep, adequate meals, and adequate time for you Yixingie~

Xinran ❤❞

The next day after the disastrous one time job, Lixue and I met at a café near the former’s university so the latter could give the phone and fifty dollar bill to me. I stared at the money, then at my friend. “How did you…”

“I tried talking to CC about it. She doesn’t particularly like you, but she saw how you worked properly while the others are busy gawking at what the Boss did. So she did say she’ll get your phone and try to slide the topic when she meets with the Boss in a lighter mood…” then Lixue scoffed, “The boss is hard to please.”

“But was he always like that even before?”

Lixue rubbed the side of her eyelid. “I’m not truly familiar with the whole story but from the other seniors, when it comes to working, he’s really strict. If it’s 'work', then it only 'work'. Massive perfectionist and absolutely crazy with his art. When you don’t meet his standards, then to the shredder you and your CV goes. Now what I know is he doesn’t really play around when it comes to working. He rewards the hardworking ones with so many grand things and if they get lucky, even all paid expenses for trips abroad. However, Sir Lay doesn’t join in the fun.”

He must be a Virgo, I thought.

“Have you seen him smile?” I sipped from my drink.

“Of course! Rarely, but it’s always so pure and angelic you will deem yourself unworthy of seeing him smiling. He smiles and laughs and is lighthearted, but only when he’s delighted by someone or something.”

“So he’s terminally selective.”

“Exactly.” Lixue loudly snapped in front of me.

“He’s probably so lonely.”

“That too!”

“He sounds pathetic.”

“But do you still want to work at the company?”

I pressed my elbows onto the table as I gazed outside the glass wall.

“No.”

Life proceeded but it felt like it stopped for me, after seeing there wasn’t any letter inside the booth. I examined around but none was found. My shoulders dropped after losing hope. My letter for her wasn’t in there too so the situation left me wondering what went wrong. Did I piss her off with something that I wrote? Was she too busy this time to respond? Or was she just taking too long to think of what to reply? I did write a lot of things in my previous correspondence.

I left the booth and sadly closed it. “I guess nothing for today.”

I glanced at the right side of my eye and my skin tensed. Immediately, I peered to the glass wall at the second floor of the house to see if someone was in there watching me outside. However, I witnessed none. So I shrugged the feeling and rode my bicycle back home with a peculiarly heavy heart.

“Sir Lay didn’t go to work today.” Lixue started. We were back in the café to study together around sunset. Swirling the liquid inside my white mug, I gave my friend a disinterested sound. “Oh come on, don’t be as if Sir Lay didn’t get your attention.”

“Oh, he did. He really did. Why wouldn’t he get my attention? He freaking flipped me upside down in front of everybody just for not knowing his name.” It was laborious to focus on reviewing notes when your study buddy wasn’t interested in studying at all.

My fingers dug into my pen case to find an eraser and instead, the blue pearlescent pen rolled out. Great. I kept trying to forget about Yixing-jie not replying to me and the pen forbade me to do any great progress. Or maybe I over-reacted. Maybe Yixing-jie became too busy with something else. The best option for me to do was to wait like how she waited for my reply for one whole week.

“Who’s Yixing?”

“Eh?”

Lixue pointed to my notepad and then I came to the realization I had been scribbling Yixing’s name on the paper with the blue pen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter