chapter 2

My Baby's Got A Secret

The intercom blew our little moment of 'squishiness', as Yunhee likes to call it.Not that I wanted to waste a good hug, but the person letting himself in with light steps was just the missing piece of a truly perfect family moment.

"Thanks, Ms.Choi.I'll get it from here."Woohyun's voice chirped, slowly closing the door behind him, leaving my assistant out of business, like everytime he interrupted me at work."He said it's alright, by the way!"he yelled, putting her at ease, while winking at us.

His smile broke as soon as his eyes landed on Yunhee's masterpiece.He gawked at Yunhee, than at me, unsure how to handle the painting behind us.

"Oh...fu...uhh..dge.FUDGE!"he stressed, gulping the knot in his throat quite loudly.

​I kinda had the same reaction just a few minutes ago, cursing alike, but I gotta hand it to him; he adressed the matter way better than me.He's a sly being!

"Tell me about it. Some more."I squinted my eyes at him, as I sat Yunhee beside me.

"Uhh...Yun, baby....what did I always tell you about using sheets of paper for drawings? Gyu, I'm....what can I say...?"

"Forget it. She let me in on everything."I inhaled, standing up to kiss him.No matter how distressed I might've been, I can't let a perfect opportunity pass me by: I have a thing for his lips, sue me!

"We'll talk about it at home?"he guessed, returning the peck.

"My point exactly."

"Of course."he looked at me with worry.

"Namu, I didn't say anything about the singing chair."Yunhee jumped up into his arms, making him cringe.

"Swinging chair."we answered in unison.

It took us a few hours to actually go over the nagging moment, but I have to say I've never felt more rested than beside him, sharing a blissful couple of minutes alone in our room, as Yunhee picked up the toys she'd be bathing with.As I let Hyun craddle me, I realised there wasn't any other place I'd love to be, so I snuggled closer.

"Are you still mad?"he asks me, unsure of the reason behind my silence.

"Mad doesn't even begin to cover it.In fact, I don't think I can call it that."I exhale,convinced he's just referring the other side of the problem.Leave it to Woohyun to be oblivious. "A baby, Hyun?!  What were you thinking?"

"You're still mad."he huffs, clearing his throat.

"Stop analysing me."I whine.

"Yunhee wanted to make you smile."

"She can tell a joke, then."

"Gyu, you know she has zero skills in comedy;like some other person we know about...."he let the words sink, with a small tinge of humour.

"I can be funny!"I pout, aware of the target sign above my head.

"Sure , babe.And without too much fussing, at that."he coos.

"My point exactly."

"Of course."he agrees,nodding his head with a small smile on his lips.

For some reason, the whole thing seems familiar , but I can't put my finger on it.

"Why do I always get the feeling you are mocking or humouring me when you say it like that?"

"You're cute when you fluster."he pecks my nose.

"Stop changing subjects.And for the record, I don't fluster!"I try and push myself away from him,but not really using too much force on the act."Why did you go along with her plan?"

"Because it was a spontaneously good one?"he looks me straight in the face."Kids have a way of sensing things.Yunhee is just so outgoing,she practically signed the papers on the spot."he speaks proudly.

"She wants a companion.A baby isn't a toy or a pet." i try and reason, though I don't find any flaw in it.

'Don't you want another one?"Woohyun ask with the most serious voice I've ever heard him use."I'm ready."

"You.....have a hidden agenda."I poke his chest, standing up, crossing my legs."I just know it."

"Oh, come on  babe.You don't still think I hold a grudge, do you?"he makes an aegyo attempt.

"My point exactly."

"Of course."he automatically replies,nudging me in the shoulder.

"I mean it , Woohyun.Is this you getting back at me for Yunhee's first word?"

"Gyu, that's water under the bridge."he brings me closer to him again."This is something totally different.And it's for you.From us, your lovely pair...?"he winks, throwing me a heart.

"This smells like trouble.Why would she try to..."

"She's always been sensitive to your moods, Gyu.Yunhee wants to do something to make you forget about the stressing work hours.How long has it been since you've had dinner with us?We miss you."he kisses me.

"I know.I'm sorry I haven't spent that much quality time with you two lately.But this is too extreme, even for you."

"Nothing's too much when you are at stake.Besides, I happen to know you've already busted our original surprise attempt, so you kinda had to make due with...."

"Hyun."I squeeze his hand.

"You are already considering this, don't deny it.You haven't even fussed over the name, yet."

"I don't mind it, it's as good as any."I shrugged my shoulders.

"See?"he giggled.

"See what? You playing reversed psychology on me?Yeah, that's crystal clear! I rest my case."

"Oh, look at you going all law inforcing!!!"he pinches my cheeks, fully aware how annoying it is for me.

Prosecutor Kim Sunggyu's credibility just went down the drain,people.

"Hyun, stop."

"You've made your point, I get it."he mocks me playfully, turning somewhat serious.As if!

"Of course."I repeat the familiar reply.", Hyun! You just played me all along."I  er punch him.

"No, baby.I went along with your logical thinking.Totally different scenario."he admits, hands raised in surrender."Plus, why argue with you?"

"My point exactly." I puff manly.

"Of course." he agrees, though I can't miss the giddy gleam in his eyes.

"Hyun."I speak after a few seconds of rummaging internally.

"What is it?"

"Are we really ready?"

"Is anyone ever?"he smiles warmly at me, cupping my face in his hands.

"I want a big family,but I always feared Yunhee would feel insecure or jealous..."

"We were gifted with one wise child."he spoke gently, pushing my worries away.

"I love you."I lean forward for a deeper kiss.

"I love you, too."

"I'm not over your mad plan, though."

"I know."he nodded, with his lips brushing mine."Can I still ask you something?"

"What?"

"Can you smile when she sees you tomorrow?"

The pang in my chest proved how guilty I felt. They got used to seeing me only in the mornings and that for just a few lousy minutes.

"I'll do it sooner.What do you say I read her to sleep tonight?You can wait for me here, rest while we..."

"Gyu, you don't have to..."

"I took a leave and don't have to be back at the office till Thursday."I shook my head.

"Why is that?"he frowns, clearly concerned."Not that I'm complaining."

"I asked them to deal with the painting on my walls."

"Oh..."he mutters, suddenly affected."I haven't realised she'd be so graphic."he turns a side glance, picking at an invisible peck of dust.

"She's an artist  in the making.We can't cut her wings."I raise his jaw.

"But you just said..."

"babe, you can be so gullible sometimes.You and Yunhee are two peas in a pod.I can't wash away that masterpiece."

I knew he'd understand me as soon as his eyes returned their spark.I fell for his eyes long time ago and I still haven't grasped all their hidden messages.But I'll always let myself drown in them.

"How could I have ever doubted you?"he hugs me tightly.

"My point exactly."

"Of course."he muffled the words, not letting go.