Like Only A Woman Can

Crossed Paths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I am sorry for the late update. Our internet connection has been cut off but I managed to get some tonight so here comes a treat for all of you! Enjoy the chapter and let me know your thoughts =))

 

Pardon the typos ;)

 

Chapter 46: Like Only A Woman Can

Third Person’s P.O.V.

 

Months had gone by and the school year was about to end. It is also the same time that had passed ever since the encounter between Jessica and her father in his study room.

 

The intense exchange of words they had did not make any sense when he didn't talk about her relationship with Yul after that. Jessica always knew that he is a man of his words – that he would stay away from them and let Jessica end it her way which is the very last thing she would do.

 

But what Jessica doesn't understand is why would he prolong their relationship just like this?

 

Without him doing anything?

 

Without him saying anything?

 

Nevertheless, Jessica is thankful that he didn't act like a man she disliked anymore.

 

Consequently, the father and daughter relationship slowly becomes distant. It has never been the same. Jessica and her father used to joke around with each other but now, the conversation was just merely something answerable by yes or no. And if you would ask her, that’s the only thing she’s sorry about when she chose to love Yul.

 

The family is having dinner together and it's rather quiet. With Krystal and Mrs. Jung's presence, they somehow made the atmosphere less awkward and acted normally as how they have always been, saving the two of them.

 

"Have you two went to Bada for dress fittings yet?" The oldest woman asked.

 

Krystal nodded. "Yes, mom. We were just there three days ago."

 

"Great! I think we're all good for the anniversary." She said, all smiles on her face.

 

Their mother looks excited. The golden anniversary of Eclare Group is about to happen next month and everyone in this family has become busy preparing for their roles in the event, especially Mr. Jung.

 

"It's been a very long journey for this family. Your grandparents would be proud to attend the golden anniversary of the business they started." Their father put a proud smile on his face as he shared the good news. It has been a long time since they last saw their grandparents 'cause they are now living in New York.

 

"What? Bubba and Grammy will come?" Krystal's eyes twinkled while excitingly asking him.

 

"Yes. They can't wait to meet their favorite girls especially Grammy." Mrs. Jung confirmed happily.

 

Their grandparents are cool. They always put Jessica and Krystal’s happiness first before anything else that's why they have special bond with them. The news tickles Jessica’s heart too. She can't wait to spend a week or two again with them.

 

"It's crazy. I hope Grammy is still healthy and can keep up with us just like always." Jessica chuckled.

 

"Well, Grammy is already seventy." Said her mom.

 

"I'm just kidding, mom." A smile formed on Jessica’s face. "I just can't wait to be with them again."

 

"Seventy is not that old yet. Not in Grammy's case." Krystal chimed in.

 

"That's why.." The old man dabs a napkin on his lips and smiled at Krystal. "..I'm suggesting you to bring Amber along so we would know if mom can still kick some ."

 

Krystal's eyes widen in shock. It's like she heard something that their father would never ever say. To be fair, he doesn't normally invite his daughters’ boyfriends to family events not because he doesn't like them but because he wants to show them that he is not easily moved. And Amber has likely found his way to his heart already.

 

That stings Jessica’s heart a bit. He didn't even try to ask her to join Yul because she knows he doesn't like him at all.

 

"Really, dad?" Krystal sounded so happy that her eyes smiled along with her lips.

 

"Yes, of course."

 

Jessica swallowed the building emotions inside her. She suddenly felt envious of her sister.

 

Krystal couldn't stop smiling and almost danced on her seat until her sight caught the silent girl beside her.

 

Jessica heard Krystal cleared and stopped.

 

"Uhh.. actually I prefer to be with unnie for the whole event. Amber can just meet Bubba and Grammy some other time."

 

That's a lie.

 

"No way, Krys. It'll be the perfect time to introduce him to our relatives." A hand cupped above hers and Jessica gave her a supportive smile.

 

From the other side of table, Jessica can sense her mother's stare at them and she spoke, "That's right, Krys. And Jess, Why don't you have Yul as your date too? It's about a year and he hasn't properly introduced himself to us." And then she gave her a motherly smile that made Jessica want to cry. She wasn’t expecting it.

 

"That's a bit disrespectful you know.." her mother jokingly continued.

 

The bronze-haired girl felt overwhelmed. She felt so thankful that her mother made her felt she understood what she’s feeling.

 

Jessica’s lips turned wide and she just couldn't stop smiling.

 

"Mom.." She uttered unbelievably and couldn't find the right words to say. "I thought.. I-I thought you don't-"

 

The old man breathed. "Wait. Wh-"

 

They were both cut off before they could finish what they have to say. "Dear, it's okay. Just make sure Yul wears the perfect suit for the anniversary."

 

Jessica couldn't help herself and stood up gleefully towards her mother to kiss her head. "Yes, mom. Thank you so much."

 

Mrs. Jung’s hand then touched her husband’s to calm him down and he didn't say anything more. Although the displease look on his face isn’t hard to miss.

 

As Jessica went back down to her seat, Krystal and the latter excitingly interlocked their hands together and put on bright faces.

 

Jessica didn't dare to check her father's reaction. She only chose to concentrate on her mother's approval and started thinking where should she bring Yul to find the right suit for him.

 

---

 

After dinner, the married couple are resting in the balcony of their bedroom, breathing in some fresh air.

 

"I don't think allowing Yul to be in the anniversary event is the wisest thing to do."

 

"You're being too harsh on Jessica. Didn't you see the hurt in her eyes earlier the moment you invited Amber?"

 

Then she continued. "Let's just give the young guy the benefit of the doubt, okay? Can you believe how Jessica is bright everyday? She always comes to her classes nowadays and she's lessened out her partying after they got together. I'm starting to think the plan we have for him is worth it. And consider more his grades, it's outstanding."

 

"Yul doesn't even have the balls to introduce himself. How is he supposed to work on things we would give him?" Mr. Jung disagreeingly responded.

 

His wife chuckled. "You really think he would dare after you scared Jessica?"

 

"Should I scare him too?"

 

Mrs. Jung weakly shook her head while smiling. “I always knew where Jessica inherited her stubbornness.”

 

---

 

"You know what, Jessica.. Your father’s odd." Taeng commented.

 

They are in Tiffany's home and she's currently measuring his size for his suit. They will be attending the anniversary and Tiffany is his date.

 

Being the sweet boyfriend he is, he's living up to it by letting her make his dress for a very big event given that she only had few experiences. But Tiffany is great and competitive at what she does, she doesn't accept mediocrity in her works.

 

"Come to think of it.. if he's really after your business' legacy then why would he let Krystal take Veterinary Medicine?"

 

Curiosity crept into her at his words. That made her thinking.

 

"Because I'm enough? I could last for another 50, exaggeratingly, years in the business and by that time there will be an heir of mine."

 

"So you're taking all the responsibility? Oh come on, did your grandparents and your parents themselves stand to that philosophy? I'm sure all of your relatives are working for Eclare Group. So why spare Krystal now?"

 

Tiffany moved back and wrote on her notebook after finishing her job. "He has a point. And you said your father didn't do anything after insisting you break up with Yul? Why do you think?"

 

"I'm not saying Krystal is a villain here but I'm just trying to point it out with a logic.." Taeng added.

 

"I don't know either. It's making me crazy.. what if he has something under his sleeves after all? I'm quite worried what will happen in the event when they meet."

 

"Or maybe he's just testing you?"

 

"How is pressuring me to break up with my boyfriend testing me? Shouldn't he be testing Yul instead?"

 

"Okay, okay. I think we're reading too much about it but good thing is your mom's on your side."

 

“I know.. but isn’t it weird too that she’s only said it now?” Jessica bit her lip and thinking. “Oh my god. Should I not bring Yul? What if it’s a trap?” And she felt something tugged at the edges of her brain, something she couldn’t quite grasp as she looks at Tiffany.

 

Tiffany breathed. “And what if it isn’t?”

 

“Maybe.. you just have to trust them. I mean, this is the time to finally brag Yul to everyone, to your whole family. And we’ll be there if anything goes wrong.”

 

Jessica took a deep breath, hoping to release the strange knot in her stomach that thinking about her father created.

 

Then she broke out a sincere smile at them. “Thank you, guys. I knew I could always count on you.”

 

“Then why won’t you let me do Yul’s suit too?” Tiffany excitingly suggested.

 

“No way!”

 

---

 

Ever since their first night together happened, Jessica has been possessive towards Yul. Sometimes, it makes him hard to breathe but sometimes, it could be y and cute too.

 

As the end of school year comes near, the load of requirements to do increases crazily as much for all of them. Yul has been spending all of his time on projects and upcoming practical reports leaving no time for romance at all.

 

Just like today.

 

Jessica has been calling him nonstop and her mood has dropped down. Her forehead's already knotted and her eyes darkened. No one dared to make an eye to eye contact and talk with her knowing they'll get berated in return – just a typical Jessica like when she hadn't met Yul before.

 

Sorry, the number you have dialled cannot be reached – "That idiot. Couldn't he take a peek on his phone for a second?!" She huffed out loudly.

 

Jessica is now the only on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter