Second Encounter

Warm Encounters

                I am a celebrity, an idol. But unlike most idols I like to keep to myself. I don’t actively look for a companion or someone to hang out with. I don’t hang around after performances and I definitely don’t monitor other idols. So I knew absolutely nothing about the idol Amber except for passing glimpses of what she was like on stage.

                It’s funny how I could be interested in someone that I didn’t know at all. Weirder things have happened. But I am sure I was only interested because it was her. She’s the type of person that just captures you, makes you want to know everything about her.

                 It does sound cheesy, but the second I saw her I needed to know her. I needed to know her name, where she was from, her favorite foods, her favorite places to go, I needed to know what made her smile. And when I saw her smile. Her smile. Innocent. Genuine. A smile that I rarely see.

                I could feel the warmth of my face finally cooling down under my fingertips, hopefully my face wasn’t so red. She was still looking at me. Her huge doe eyes and the playful smile on her lips really tugged at my heartstrings. I uncovered my face and cleared my throat.

                “So where do you wanna hangout. You’re a pretty big celebrity I wouldn’t want to get you in trouble,” she asked.

                It’s funny. She was talking as if she wasn’t the famous tomboy rapper of f(x).

                “There’s this really great movie theatre that I go to when I wanna relax. It’s  kinda of a secret hangout spot for celebrities, no fans”.

                I watched as her smile slowly faded. She had a confused look on her face and began fiddling with the edge of the tablecloth. Was she nervous, did she not want to go.

                “What’s wrong? We can go somewhere else. I know tons of places where fans won’t bother us. I mean…. I’m alone a lot… I’m not a loner…. I have friends…um… it’s by choice… I just…” I started rambling and luckily she interrupted me.

                With her head turned towards the table she spoke in a barely audible voice, “I… it’s just that I don’t understand… I mean…I don’t get it… there won’t be anybody taking pictures…of us.”

                Taking pictures? She wanted people to take pictures. I didn’t know her, but I was sure she wasn’t some sort of fame crazed celebrity.

                “You want people to take pictures… I mean… I just want to hangout with you.”

                She looked up. “I know… but… when my friends hang out with me they always want people to take pictures. Apparently it’s good… publicity”

                It took me a second to register what she said, but when I did I was furious. What the flying f**k? What kinda bulls**t friends does she have?

                “Jerks!” I shouted before I could gather my thoughts. She visibly jumped.

                “I mean…I’m sorry but I just wanna hangout with you and I definitely don’t want people taking pictures.

                I waited for her to react and her expression was priceless. She looked so relieved and almost free. The same expression a child makes after they tell their mom about something bad that happened at school. Pure bliss. Happiness.

                I must have been staring.

                She cleared . “Hey… are you gonna sit there forever or are we gonna go somewhere.” she smirked at me.

                I smiled back at her. “Of course.”

                We both got up and she jumped on her board and rolled next to me.

                She bowed at the woman that was serving us. “I’ll be back. Have a nice day.” The woman smiled back at her and waved.

                Amber on her board. She was at eye level. I could clearly see all of her cute features. Her defined jawline. Her huge brown eyes. The tips of her ears that were peeking out from under her dark brown hair. And her lips…her lips.

                I faced forward and cleared my throat. I am such a freak. Love at first sight or my inner ert has been unleashed.

Whatever it was, it was unusual for me to be so interested in someone. Amber was just so … everything about her… pulled me in.

                And her lips were captivating.

                I unlocked my car and opened the passenger side door for her and waited as she jumped off her board and climbed in.

                I walked over to the other side, got into the driver’s seat and buckled up. She followed suit.

                I glimpsed over at her as I started the car. She was looking around the car as if it was her first time. He doe eyes taking record of every detail.

                I chuckled and saw her look at me out of the corner of my eye. “Never been in a car. Fascinating isn’t it”

                She smiled. “Yep it is my first time in a car. What gave it away?” she replied sarcastically. “ I’m just looking. It’s not every day you get a ride in a superstar’s car.”

                “Superstar… yeah right… you didn’t even recognize me at the restaurant”

                “Well… makeup does wonders”

                “Hey!” I shouted still smiling.

                The rest of the car ride was anything but quiet. Not a second of awkwardness. My car has never been subject to so much laughter and it was probably the most I spoke to someone in years.

                On a side note. In the short ride I realized that I have never and probably will never meet a person as genuine as Amber Liu. Everything she says, all of her expressions, all of her cute little ticks. Everything she does is real, nothing is fake or planned out. I knew that today would not be the last day we met.

                Because I realized that I needed her in my life. Whatever our relationship grows into I needed her to be near me.

                We finally arrived at the theater. From the outside no one could tell that the inside held a hangout for countless celebrities. A crazed fans dream.

                It was a fairly narrow building, but had eight floors, each with its own small theater. I drove to the driveway, slowed down in front of the closed garage door, and honked the horn. Almost immediately a young man dressed in a blue valet uniform walked up to my side and knocked on the window.

                I rolled down my window, he recognized me and promptly opened the garage with a remote.

                “Dude… this feels like some sort of secret mission” I looked over at her and she was almost giddy with excitement.

                I drove into the garage. “For someone who knows basically everyone in the industry, I’m surprised you didn’t know about this place”

                “Well… my friends… they don’t really hang out in these places” her voice was soft again.

                “Yeah… your friends” I replied in a slightly angry tone. I parked the car and turned off the ignition.

                The more I hung out with her the more I hated her “friends”. How could they just use her? How could they meet someone like Amber and want to use her for their own bulls**t careers.

                I stepped out of the car, walked over to her side, and pulled the door open. And I did something that pre-Amber Seunghyun would never do.

                I gently grabbed her hand and helped her out of the car. Her hand was so small and fragile. As if holding her too tight could break her. I closed the car door. And started walking.

                “Hey… what are you doing… I can walk” she protested, but her tiny fingers slowly wrapped around the palm of my hand.

                I smiled. How could she be so cute?

                “I mean… you’re just so tiny I am afraid I might lose you,” I joked.

                “Shut up” she whispered as she walked closer to me and tightened her grip on my hand.  

                Actions speak louder than words. She was fragile, hurting, and tried to cover it up with her smiles and her “it doesn’t bother me attitude”. And it made me sad. How long has it been since someone held her? Why did it take me so long to find her?

                We used the elevator to get to the sixth floor where the new movie Moana was being shown.

                We walked into the brightly lit theatre and took our seats as we waited for the lights to go off and the movie to start.

                We sat, our hands still loosely intertwined, resting on the armrest that was between us.

                It was still early and we were the only two people in the theater. The lights dimmed and the movie began on the big screen.

                We watched the movie but just twenty minutes in it seemed like Amber wasn’t too interested. She had let go of my hand, but was now tapping her fingers on the palm of my hands. Her tiny fingers tickled and I smiled.

                She was very distracting and I can’t tell you at all what the film was about.

                As the minutes passed her tapping slowed and eventually stopped. Her head slowly tipped over to my side. She had fallen asleep. I slumped down in my seat and carefully placed her head on my shoulder.

                She didn’t wake until the blinding theatre lights flashed on. Her eyes were still closed and she stretched pushing the top of her head into the crook of my neck.

                I used my hand the push the hair out of her face and she froze under my touch.

                “Good morning Amber.” I whispered.

                She opened her eyes and slowly lifted her head. She fixed her hair and looked straight at me, still half-awake trying to understand the situation she was in.

                It felt like time had stopped. But slowly her eyes widened and her skin turned pink.  

                “Good… morning” she replied her voice cracking as she spoke. She turned away and put her head in her hands. “Awww…. This is so embarrassing” she whispered.

                I laughed out loud and my voice echoed in the empty theatre. “You are so adorable.” I could see the tips of her ears turn a deep shade of red.

                I stood up. “Come on. Let’s grab dinner.” I started walking

                “Mhmm” she replied and followed closely behind me.

                As we walked I could hear her footsteps begin to slow behind me.

                I felt a tug from the back of my shirt and stopped walking. “Seunghyun… thank you” I started to turn around but she placed both hands on my back and held me in place. “Wait...don’t” her voice was almost inaudible.

                “I know I fell asleep but… I really had a lot of fun”

                “This is the first time in so long that I’ve spoken with someone without having to act like I’m happy… thanks” her hands left my back.

                I slowly turned around and gently pushed the hair out her face. I closed the small distance between us and wrapped my hands around her tiny frame. I rested my head on hers as she wrapped her hands around me.

                “Amber….I will always be there for you…”

*******

Hey everyone. 

I hope you liked the short read. 

I didn't really know how to end it because I don't know if I want to continue it later. 

So sorry about the cliffhanger. 

Thank You for reading and please leave any feedback.