The Promise

It started with a dare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You woke up next to a sleeping Baro. The weight on his arm was heavy. You smile at the sight of his exposed back. But you remember that he is leaving later. The thought of seeing him leave broke your heart. You quickly yet quietly, gathered your clothes, wore them and left. You left Yoonji with the scrapbook. Keira woke up and looked at you. You called her over and she followed you downstairs. "I wanted to see her off. Is that okay? My Mom is going to pick me up later," she tells you. "That's fine. I'm going now. It's about time for me to go," you tell her. "About, I mean. You two are over right?" she asked. "The best thing that ever happened to me, was him leaving. I now don't have to pay for his rent, car tickets, food, gifts for his parents, give him money. I'm all good. Plus, the wasn't good. I realized how great of a faker I was," you smiled. "But please, don't have until you're ready. And try to not be ready any time soon," you quickly added. "I promise. I was really scared last night. Have you found your true love?" she asked you. "I hope not, because that would mean I'd lose him right away," you replied sadly.

You couldn't hide your sadness. "Are you okay?" asked Keira. "I'm okay. I just. I have to go. I'll see you. Behave okay?" and with those last words, you were out the door. You got home, showered and decided to move on. You ran downstairs and found your mom making cookies. "Mom, I'm going back to school and work," you announced. "Oh, wow. What made you come to this decision?" she asked. "I should move forward. I'm still young. I should study my brains out while I still can. Is that okay with you?" you asked. "Whatever you decide, I'll support you one hundred percent. When did you plan on leaving?" she asked. "Now, I'm actually on my way back to school," you replied. "Wait, today is Baro's flight. Aren't you going to see him off?" she asked. "It's okay, I saw him last night. I gave Yoonji my gift for her. I need to go my own way too," you tell her as you ate a cookie and head for the fridge.

You felt hands on your shoulder. "It's okay to miss him. It's okay to admit how you feel. It's also okay to cry," she tells you. With those words, you turned around and began crying in your Mother's arms. "I'm suppose to hate him," you tell her. "But now you love him. Did you tell him?" she asked. "I think this is for the best. I'm going to bring my luggage to the car. Thanks Mom. I love you," you said before heading back upstairs.

After a few hours of driving, you got to your school. Baro should already be a quarter of his plane ride back to Korea. You put on your lab coat and joined the rest of the interns. A familiar face caught your eyes. "Athena," smiled Laurence. "I should've called. I know," you tell him. He smiles and pulls you away from the interns. "I just got back after a long leave of absence and now you're making me ditch?" you smiled. "You owe me a date," he tells you. "I don't know. I am very confused now," you confessed. "He left for Korea, yes?" he asked. You nod your head. "You never promised him you'll wait, yes?" he asked. You nod once more. "You're not dating right?" he asked. "But what about how I feel?" you asked. "Can you pause it? You might not see him for awhile or anymore for that matter. Just, please give me a chance. I'm here. He's not who is in front of you now," he reminds you.

You didn't want to reply. You're still not ready. "Athena, there's a new case," called your classmate. "I'll be there," you called back. "Tomorrow at 6am. I'm going to take you out for breakfast. I'm going to bring breakfast to you in front of everyone if you don't come with me," he tells you. "That sounds like a threat?" you tell him. "Come on, please?" he smiled. "Okay, I'm going. I'll see you at 6am. I'm at Room 4749. Goodbye Laurence," you said before leaving him.

The next morning, you woke up at 5am to your alarm. "Baro, turn it off," you whined. Just then, it hit you. Baro is all the way in Korea. You literally jumped out of bed and turned off your alarm. You take a look at your phone. No text from him. "Maybe I shouldn't have changed my number," you sighed. You changed into your clothes and head out. Laurence greet you halfway with a smile. "Okay, I promise to try and forget him," you promised.

It's been a little over a month.

You ran into Miss Olive in the hospital. "Athena, oh my gosh. I know you're busy but have you been avoiding me?" she asked. "Oh my gosh, no. Sorry Miss Olivia. I changed my number and I hardly use my phone this past month. I don't even know if it still has charge on it or not. I'm sorry," you apologized. "Okay, well I've been trying to set you up with your final date. I feel really strongly about this one. This is really it. This date will lead to marriage," she smiled. "Oh, we're not done yet?" you asked. "Of course not. Especially after the last one. I'm sorry. I promise, I did not know he had a girlfriend," said Olivia.

You were confused. "What? Who?" you asked. "Your 9th date. He and you both like the same things. I really thought it was it. But his girlfriend came after me and threatened me. But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter