september 26th

love letters;

Dear Jeongmin,

     I believe each person has certain songs, poems, or stories that remain close to their hearts; whether or not this is by choice is irrelevant.

     Today, my friend showed me a song that seemed slightly familiar in a sense that was almost nostalgic. Upon further investigation, I discovered that it was yours, one that I had first heard almost a year ago, even before I’d ever met you. This felt like an additional connection that we’d never had before, one that is both pleasant and intriguing, something that made us feel closer than ever in this time of separation. 

     I didn’t realize how much I had missed you until my friend showed me the song. I’d kept myself as busy as I could immediately upon your departure and eventually I learned how to to elbow the thoughts of you out of my mind. Every now and then, I’d think of our times together, but just as quickly would channel my focus to something else entirely. 

     Despite all of my attempts to avoid you and the ways you haunted me, the song jerked me back to reality. I sat there in silence, stunned, causing great confusion for my friend. I excused myself and felt myself immersed in the silence broken solely by my irregular heartbeat.

     That was your song, that was your voice, that was your sound, all those months ago. The first times our paths crossed before they actually did.

     I'm supposed to be moving on. Why is it making me feel like this?

Sincerely,
Hyunseong