december 14th

love letters;

Dear Jeongmin,
      December 12th was the night I met you. Do you remember Donghyun? He’s shorter than me, and constantly experimenting with his hair colour and style, so I can’t give you any accurate information beyond that. Donghyun had dragged me to the festival at which I met you. He wanted to experience the music, and I, according to him, needed to “get over it” and “deal with” people, as I’d become a bit of a workaholic in preceding months, something he’d found troublesome. He had seen someone he knew, and left me as he went to greet them “really fast”, leaving me wandering around by myself. It’s so cliché, oh, God, this whole thing is so cliché, but him leaving me behind was probably the best thing he could’ve done. 
       You and I both stood staring at the food for sale, side by side, completely silent, until I spoke up with a quiet “Are you a musician?” What I meant was to ask you if you were performing, and I don’t know if you remember, but you gave me the most stupid answer ever: “I sing, and I play instruments.” I only stared at you in reply. Was that a yes? We stared at each other for a bit, and I laughed. This is a joke I hope I’ll be able to hold against you for a while, something to hang over your head. Here I am, talking as though we’re friends - which leads me into my next point. 
     I saw you several times throughout the night, and your performance astounded me. When you passed me later on in the night, I greeted you with a hello and your name, and you smiled back at me. As you were leaving, you approached me with a friend, who jokingly told you to ask for my number, and you stumbled through the question. I laughed and complied, thinking nothing of it. It wasn’t until you smiled, thanked me, and walked away that my heartbeat began to seem audible. It felt like a beginning. Hopefully it is. 
Sincerely,
Hyunseong