august 28th

love letters;

Dear Jeongmin,

     I’d spent the past two months longing to see you, and when we finally arranged plans, I was excited. I couldn’t believe I finally got to see you again, and I was thankful that we’d been able to slip in plans since I found out you were leaving. 

     Summer is supposed to be a time of life and love, as people enjoy themselves; this is something I find ironic as the heat often makes one drowsy and lazy, wishing for nothing but to sleep each day away. My summer was similar to that: full of expectations, yet delivering loneliness and disappointment. It doesn't help that it must close with many endings. Many leave to go back to school or work or to return home. Because of this, a time that is supposed to be jubilant is just sad. We must all wave goodbye to the summer haze and its sweet memories.  

     You included.

     You texted me earlier, citing family issues as a need to abandon our plans. My words may be harsh and biased, but it pierced me. I chose to believe you weren’t lying, but it still hurt me.  

    If I’d known it was the last time I would see you when it was happening, I would’ve made it more meaningful. I would’ve remembered it more. I would’ve said everything I’d been hoping to say tomorrow. 

     At least you said we could see each other again when you came back to visit. 

     Don’t worry, I don’t think I’ll hold you to that.

Sincerely,
Hyunseong