You Failing Made His Heart Mine

I Tried To Protect Your Heart

Sam shook his head when the same sound that had been filling his ear for minutes came again. He gulped before holding the phone in his hand, hoping it was someone else this time.

He wasn't sure what to feel about this. Dylan was fine? He was surely sweet, yet Sam was still a little naive with his heart.

Not sure to trust Dylan or not. He want Dylan to only look at him, yet their were so many people in this world. Why would Dylan only turn to look at such a shy person like him?

Sam didn't notice it, but his insecurities made Dylan feel upset. Like he was untrustworthy. But he needed Sam to trust him.

You see, Dylan truly loved Sam from his heart. But Sam wasn't sure about Dylan's feelings.

Was it only going to be Sam for Dylan? Was Dylan going to keep Sam safe? Could Sam trust Dylan to protect him?

All these thoughts were haunting Sam as the phone rang again. He ran a hand through his hair and looked back down at his phone. Why can't I pick up the phone? Sam was frustrated with himself. He hated that he couldn't trust Dylan.

After all the people who broke Sam's heart, he din't know if Dylan would be able to mend it. Not after what Sam had seen a few days back.

Sam gulped before turning the phone on and holding it close to his ear. Waiting to hear the voice he had been dying to hear, but Sam knows he would never have the guts to say anything in front of Dylan.

"Where the hell where you?! Do you know how worried I was?!"

But Sam didn't expect the sweet voice to be this harsh. He flinched at the tone of the person at the other end of the phone.

"Sam answer me! Tell me why you weren't picking up the phone?!"

The person sounded even more frustrated now. Is this what Sam meant to the person he loves so much? Is this what Sam meant to Dylan?

Sam gulped as tears formed on the edge of his eyes. "I-Is this how you're going to treat me?" Sam's voice came out as soft as a whisper.

"Huh? Sam can you please talk to me in normal language?" Dylan sounded as if he was annoyed by now.

"Can I really trust you if you're going to talk to me like this?" Sam whispered as a tear felt his eyes.

Dylan sounded confused. "Wait-what? Sam are you okay? Should I come over?"

Sam shook his head as more tears escaped his eyes, "No. Just stay as far away from me as you can. I don't need you near me."

"Sa-"

And then, Sam turned off the phone. Making sure to turn the phone to silent, and turning off the vibration. He didn't need anyone talking to him right now.

Not after all he could think of was Dylan and that girl in the mall. The way they talked to each other, held each other's hands, and what bothered Sam the most, was the way Dylan looked down at her and smiled.

Dylan's smile was the smile that Sam wanted to keep for himself. But it's not like Sam would be able to say that to Dylan.

Sam couldn't say one word to Dylan. He knew how hard it was to speak to Dylan.

Each time Dylan's sweet voice filled Sam's ears, he didn't know how to react. Dylan's voice would do wonders inside of Sam.

But Sam couldn't understand why he was so into Dylan. What made Dylan break his heart? Everything was so confusing as the phone fell out of hand, dropping down onto the carpet under him.

He looked around at his surroundings as more tears fell down his eyes. Sitting in the back of his closet where there was barely any clothes just hangers. This wasn't exactly the best place to sit when you're crying. But at least no one would disturb him. And even if they find him, it's not like they would be able to make him feel better. Only Dylan would be able to do that.

But the only person Sam wanted to stay away from right now was Dylan. Yet in his head Dylan was already his ex-boyfriend.

Why 'ex' you ask? Because Sam had the belief that Dylan would want to break up with him, just like every other guy wanted to.

Now here's the question, how people do you think Sam has dated? Not many if he was to say. He didn't even date half of the them because he was too nervous to trust them. And the other half? He was sure they wanted to play with his heart.

But there was something different about Dylan. The way he acted with Sam. He treated him like delicate flower that had to be loved to live. And Dylan had promised to keep this flower alive.

Not until now.

Now that Dylan had another flower to love and keep alive. Sam would just be pushed to the side, like always.

Sam closed his eyes and resting his head against the back of the rack. He frowned at the thought of how Dylan would talk to him. It was all fake anyways, so why do I still think about you?

The pain was hitting into Sam's heart. Because no matter how hard he tried, he would never stop loving Dylan. And he wasn't able to stop himself from falling for Dylan.

His love for Dylan was overflowing, yet he still didn't know if Dylan loved him anymore. He seemed so far to reach.

And as Sam's eyes traveled to his closet door that had just opened, he learned one thing. And that was that forgetting someone is the hardest thing to do. It was impossible to forget the one you love. Not when they were standing in front of you with a worried expression on their face.

"Sam! Are you alright?" Dylan sat down beside Sam and held his face in his hands.

Sam shooked his head and turned to look the other way. Seeing Dylan made his heart beat in a pace that he couldn't explain. It wasn't fast nor was it slow. It was in a pace that made Sam feel okay. Like he was alright. Like everything was going to be alright. But he had to hear those words from Dylan before he trust his heart.

"Sam answer me. Why are you crying?" Dylan reached his other hand over and wiped away Sam's tears.

Sam gulped and stayed quite. It was always like this. He couldn't speak to Dylan again.

"Sa-"

"Why? Why did you come Dylan," Sam turned to Dylan with tears following down his cheeks.

Dylan was taken aback by Sam's sudden words. "What? I came because I was worried," he firmly replied.

Sam looked down at Dylan's hand that had just grabbed into his. He pulled his hand out of Dylan's soft grip and looked back up at Dylan. "I told you not to come. Why did you still come? You're just wasting your time. Go back home," Sam pushed Dylan's hand away from his face and sat a little back.

Dylan moved forward and stopped Sam from moving back. "Sam look at yourself. I'd rather stab myslef with a knife then leave you in this state."

Sam's eyes traveled to Dylan's arms. How he so badly wanted Dylan to hug him right now.

Sam left cold because of his cold tears. All he need right now was a warm hug from Dylan. But would Dylan really give Sam what he wanted?

That was all up to Dylan's heart and mind.

"Look Sam," Dylan grabbed onto Sam's hand. "Can you please trust me? Will you please tell me what's wrong?" He pleaded.

Sam gulped and looked into Dylan's eyes. He looked as if he was so worried about Sam. But Sam knew he really wasn't. "You can leave me if you want. I'm fine if you want to break up."

Dylan looked confused. "What? Sam why would you think I'd want to break up with you?"

Sam looked down at his and Dylan's hands. "I saw you at the mall the other day, with that girl. So I'm fine if you want to leave me for her. I'll be alright."

Dylan looked confused yet angry now. "What?! Sam how could you think I'd want to break up with you?" He let go of Sam's hand and stood up.

Sam still didn't look up at Dylan. "I saw the way you looked at her. With so much love and admiration. It's alright if you want to leave me for her. I'll try getting over you."

Dylan ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Sam that girl is my older sister! How could you think so of me?! After all the love I gave you?"

Sam looked up to see tears in Dylan's eyes. He didn't know what to feel anymore. Sam had never seen anything like this. A person crying for him. It hurt to think that his insecurities were hurtig Dylan.

He had blamed Dylan for loving someone else. How could he be so stupid to not think about Dylan's feelings. It was only him, him, and himslef inside his mind. But now, the only person he could think of was Dylan.

"I'm sorry," Sam whisperd as he broke into more tears.

Dylan avoided looking at Sam. "No! Just don't say sorry! It's my fault for not making you trust me. I should have spent more time with you. I only thought of myslef. God, why am a such an idiot!" Dylan ruffled his hair in frustration.

Sam slowly looked up at Dylan, the tears on his cheeks were drying up before more wet tears invaded his cheeks. "I won't say sorry. But Dylan please don't blame yourself," Sam grabbed onto Dylan's arm. "I was wrong for not trusting you. My insecurities kept me away from you. But I promise I'll push all of those thoughts away and only love you. Just don't leave me Dylan. I don't know what I'd do withou-"

Sam looked up shocked when he felt Dylan's finger on his mouth. "Shh, don't even talk about being without me. I'll never leave you," he leaned down and knelt down beside Sam. "And you don't have to say sorry because its not just your fault. It's my fault too. But as long as you forgive me. It'll be alright."

The tone Dylan was talking in made Sam's cheeks flush. He didn't know how to react when held his chin in his hands and asked him to forgive him again. The words 'I forgive you' came so easily out of Sam's mouth.

Dylan had a look of admiration in his eyes as he looked into Sam's eyes. This moment was all that Dylan wanted. "How could I never dare to make an angel like you cry," he whisperedin a hushed tone.

And the next thing Dylan did really made Sam want to cry. Cry tears of happiness.

Because the cold feeling inside of Sam became warm once Dylan's lips met his.

All the ice between them melted. And Dylan successfully broke the wall between them.

There was nothing bettter then having each other. Even when Dylan pulled away and smiled at Sam's red cheeks, the both of then could still feel the warmness inside.

Dylan smiled at Dam and stood up. He reached his hand out to Sam, "It's going be okay."

And once Sam took Dylan's hand and stood up everything that happened was all Sam could think of.

Sam might have got over his insecurities, but he was still the same shy Sam that got flustered by every word Dylan said to him. He still couldn't breathe in front of Dylan. His breaths came out slow.

But now, those slow breaths were calm and steady. Telling Sam that Dylan was there to make him feel okay.

"Come on, we have a long life ahead of us. Let's go spend some time with each other," Sam smiled at Dylan's offer.

And as Dylan and Sam walked out of the closet. Sam didn't notice that he left his phone inside.

The thing is Sam didn't notice that his phone had been ringing the whole time.

And each time he ignored it, the person on the other end got even more worried.

The person who loved Sam. Even more than Dylan could ever.

The man who watched all those guys break Sam's heart, without saying a word.

And now that Sam had found the one who loves him, this man felt useless.

Did Sam never notice his undying love? He tried to protect Sam through out all of this, but he failed.

And Sam had already found his prince charming before the knight could even say a word about his feelings.

So Sam left his phone in the closet, not noticing it.

He left the name 'Matthew' written in big bold letters on his screen.

But he didn't just answer Matthew's call. Sam didn't answer Matthew's heart when he said the word 'I love you Sam. I'll protect you till my last breath. If you never need anyone to make you feel better then I'll be right here. I'll always say okay for you Sam.'

But he missed all of his chances. And now Sam's heart is all for Dylan.

Dylan and Sam are okay. And that's all that matters to Sam.

That Dylan can tell him its okay.