The Doctor and The Officer

Soul Mate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three surgeries, ward rounds and annoying fellow junior doctors had taken its toll on the young soul. It wasn’t everyday that the mind felt dry, deprived and under appreciated-- it happened every odd day. Today was one of those days, the ones where even medical students felt their life had hit rock bottom and nothing could be done about it. The following week’s schedule was running around in the mind-- bleak it appeared at that moment in time.

 

A backpack slung around one shoulder nonchalantly. Every so often its owner would give a nod as a greeting to the recognizable faces. The plan was to go home and lie in bed like a dead body until some idiot under the pretense of a friend decided they needed to ‘have a life.’ Now that kind of life was one this citizen didn’t seem too fond of, or at least it was kind of fun to pretend not to be. Pretending meant someone would come looking. A grin sprouted but didn’t bloom until all the stairs, all the floors, all the greetings, all the doors had been cleared.

 

The sky was as dark as the wish to remain cooped up, Seoul saw no stars; this day was not an exception, and there were clouds rolling in waves across the moon blurring the night’s mirror-- Heaven’s canopy was alive.

 

Footsteps trotted weakly as the mind wandered nostalgically to delinquent years. What fools they had all been! What minute things had been labeled as ‘crises’ back then! They had all been naive to believe they owned the world all those years ago. A hand slipped into a pocket and fingers clasped round an object. This was quite possibly one of the most prized possessions. Before the young philosopher could delve any further two hooligans interrupted.

 

The bag was swiped clean from the shoulder by them and they ran caterwauling in delight at their success. Stumped for a second the brave young doctor wasted no time to try and catch them however the troublemakers were fast, agile. Perhaps that poor bag would have been turned inside out with its contents stolen and sold on the black market if it had not been for a group of people who tackled the ruffians to the ground.

 

The doctor stopped to inspect the spidery shapes in the darkness. Something said not to get involved, turn on the heel, and walk away yet that instinct was sealed and the bag returned. No more thought was given to the mugging. The doctor had better things to think about.

 

Another individual was having a better day than this doctor. Wrestling with a fiery youth it was satisfying to clamp the bracelets of justice onto wrists that caused trouble, drag them into the police van, shut the doors and hop into the front seat. It was a moment to remember!

 

“Finally!” The co-workers whooped. They had been chasing the knaves for months and each time they had failed. It had been depressing. They had bore endless scoldings from superiors, and booings from the locals who learnt that the police was redundant being unable to catch a couple of thieves that became more and more ferocious with their stealing. No one could admit that it wasn’t ‘absurd.’ However the long hours of hard work had paid off and the broken pieces of pride could now heal. Throwing the hooligans behind bars was the best sensation ever for the team.

 

The police chief eyed them critically (they had had the misfortune to run into him). His small mouth was pressed so tightly that only a stern line was visible, bulging eyes judged each and every one of them individualistically and no one needed an announcement of what he may be thinking, he thought them useless.

 

“Your assistance,” he began after clearing his throat. Thinking he no longer needed to articulate further, he ended his abrupt speech by shoving a fat finger in the direction of another team. Undoubtedly, he expected them to collaborate, both shared a look of contempt. No hands were shaken, no description was given, no formalities were exchanged, not even a greeting.

 

“Some help,” coughed someone in a voice loud enough for all to hear. Although the offhand comment seemed childish and rather silly to be uttered it did rush color into the cheeks of the individuals it was directed at, while the other’s who were listening held sneaky smiles. Indeed the police station was not the most serene of places.

 

One of the young officers kept from frowning and began to examine files regarding the new case assigned to them, the color was still fresh in the cheeks. Being humiliated like this was not something this officer had ever experienced. If one were to ask of the officer's records they would say everything was perfect. The problem was that the team was not and so there were many ups and downs, mostly downs, that pulled down the resume.

 

 

Meanwhile the doctor had indeed predicted the future correctly; dragged to a nightclub full of intoxicated, sweaty people clad as scantily as possible grooving, or trying, to obnoxiously pumping music. This scene was the worst for this particular individual. The hairs were beginning to rise on the nape and goosebumps were erupting as they did anywhere music and drinks were served.

 

“I'm gonna go, got to get to work early,” remarked the doctor.

 

“You always say that! Stay for a bit, you old geezer.”

 

A laugh from the offended preceded by a wave towards the flushing friend. “See you later, yeah.”

 

Normally this was where the doctor left at the speed of light but something faltered the footsteps. The corner of the eye spied a maiden in distress due to a rather slimy looking male. Now this was not part of protocol but the doctor was drawn, back away from the safety of the exit and back into the psychedelic atmosphere, with b anger.

 

The scene was disgusting so the doctor intervened. Pushing the felon away, the doctor stared at the victim for a moment before blocking a flying fist. “Go away, else I'll kill you,” the threat came from the doctor.

 

“The hell, is wrong with you man? I was jus’ enjoyin’ time with me girl,” was the rebuttal. It followed by a scream from the fellow as the doctor twisted his wrist.

 

“Stop it!” Cried the girl pushing the doctor away. For a moment the doctor was repulsed by her and then chose to retreat from the party. This scene was not the doctor’s type of play.

 

The image flashed vivid in the mind and so did that face which seemed familiar. The doctor wrung his hands. It wasn't that person, the doctor repeated like a mantra in the mind. That person was destined for a far better future than what the doctor had seen. It was a trick of light or a hoax played by the mind. That person was somewhere oceans away from where the doctor stood.

 

At home the thought of dinner was no longer appealing. In its place sickness was felt. The expanse of time had failed to erase the thoughts of long ago. Had the doctor known how bitter things would become there would have been no first meeting. Sliding a hand into the pocket of a pair of worn jeans a tool was extracted. It should have appeared worn, lathered in rust yet it was shining just as those eyes had.

 

This reminiscing was not good for the soul, the doctor knew it. However the doctor's heart had been shaken. Never did the doctor expect to see that same face. Perhaps it truly was a conjuring. The doctor had seen what was hoped, and psychology had complied.

 

A chuckle reverberated. It was too late now. It would always be too late. There was no time to mope old feelings. There was to be a vacation, what was known as an MT, for the tired, sleep deprived students. They were to go camping. A colossal good it would do them to be away from the scent of sanitization and in the woods setting tents, singing songs,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter