Chapter 1

Mannequin

It's been three days since I came to Seoul. On the first day, I went to two of the big agencies - I visited YG in the morning and SM in the afternoon. I got rejected by both of them.

On the second day, I've been to YJP, Woollim and Cube. Still a negative answer, saying that they cannot hire me because I didn't go to university.

At all the interviews, there was always at least one stylist. When they saw the recommendation letter from my cousin they usually gasped and said something to the person that conducted the interview quietly so I wouldn't hear. At this point, I always had some hope that maybe that stylist would convince their boss that they need me.

But the answer was always the same: If you don't have a degree, we won't hire you.

I could've started begging, saying that they can call my cousin, or just give me a week and I'll prove I'm good, or even with the fact that me and my mother don't have enough money to pay for my studies.

And here we are, on the third day. I was just sitting in my hotel room, reconsidering my options. I had an appointment at TS Entertainment in the afternoon, but after the first two days I didn't think that I'd succeed anywhere.

The alarm on my phone went off, signalling that I should go. I sighed and started my long way through Seoul.

The journey took one and a half hours, and I almost got lost, but I finally found the building I was looking for - TS Entertainment. The girl at the reception was not much older than me, probably a university student doing extra work. However, she was looking at me with a pretty hostile look.

"You've probably came to the interview. Zoey Black… right? Please go to the second floor."

I bowed and went to the lift. When I went up there were already three people waiting for me.

~~

"So. Zoey Black, right?" One of the two men asked me.

"Yes. But if you're feeling uncomfortable with my name, please call me Seon Minseo." I realized on the first day that Korean people cannot pronounce my name properly.

The man nodded, but continued without saying anything about it.

"You're trying to get into our company without a degree. How do you think you could do it?"

"Well," I started carefully, "I went to a fashion-specialized high school and I always got the best scores. Here, I have a letter of recommendation, please look at it." I handed them the letter. The man gave it to the only woman without looking at it.

When I saw the surprise on her face, I was sure that she was a stylist. Not so much later I found out that she truly was one. As I got used to it before, she whispered something to the men, but I couldn't hear it properly.

"We'd like to consider. Could you please leave the room for a couple of minutes?" the first man talking to me said. Surprisingly, the other man hasn't said a word yet. However, I got up, bowed and left the room.

~~

About an hour passed. Finally, when the woman looked at me, saying that I can go in, I thought I'll have a heart attack. That was also the moment when I realised that she had a baby bump.

When I went in, all the three were smiling, but only the woman was smiling in the eyes. A ray of hope touched me when the man (who was talking before) handed me a contract.

"Let me explain this in a nutshell. You will work here for a month. If we still think you're able to work at our company, you're hired. In the first month, we won't give you any money. You will eat here, in the company. You will have to work as hard as you can. But if you mess it up, we can kick you out during the first month also. Any questions?"

Tears of joy threatened to fall, but I didn't let them. I realised that I have no place to live, so I started really carefully and as polite as I could.

"Well, I arrived here only three days age and I'm currently staying at a hotel. I've already chosen a flat to rent, the price is really low. I would like to ask you to pay the first two months when I won't have money. Of course if you think I'm not good enough and you're kicking me out, you don't have to pay it…"

When I finished it, I lowered my gaze, not bearing to look at them. However, from the corner of my eye, I saw that the silent man nodded. They printed a new version of the contract, and I signed it gladly.

I left the room, and a secretary rented the flat for me. The contract came on fax, and I signed that also.

Leaving the company, there were still tears in my eyes, but I didn't let them fall until I packed my suitcase in the hotel and moved to my new home.

There, I threw myself in the bed and starting crying and laughing at the same time. I might have sound pretty hysterically, but I just couldn't care somehow.


Author's note: Long chapter yaaay :3

This week is grandparents' time, so after I've humiliated myself with the bicycle (haven't been cycling for 7 years, but I went like a lightning - in a zig zag), I've been well fed and slept, so inspiration hit me like a truck. We'll see how the villagewifi works :D