The Black Letter

Violet Love Sonata
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Emi POV

“This is a joke… a sick joke.” That’s what I tried to tell myself soon after reading the black letter. “No one would be capable of harming another human being just to play a game.” I reassured myself. Days passed by without anything happening, I didn’t tell anyone. I thought that this was a one-time incident, but I was completely wrong; three weeks after receiving the first one, I received another one:

“My Dearest Emilia,

It’s such a pleasure to inform you the date of selection. You must decide which of your two beloved men will die; the debt will be paid three days from now. If you try to go to the police, I will not only kill the both of them, but all of your acquaintances. To prove the seriousness of this letter I will like to, first of all, congratulate you on your wedding and second, I will enjoy watching “Descendants of the sun” exclusively through Dramafy.”

I broke into cold sweat. My heart was pounding and my hands were trembling so much that the page I was holding fell to the ground.

“Sajangnim are you okay?” Ari asked.

I opened my mouth, but I was unable to articulate a single word. “How the heck does this person knows this much?" I was totally terrified. "Only someone really close to me could know this kind of details from my life.”

“Sajangnim?” She asked again. She crouched to pick up the letter. I immediately crouched too and grabbed it before she did. She looked at me really shocked.

“You should leave!” I exclaimed as I stood up.

“But Mr. G-Dragonssi told me to stay here until he returns.” She said totally confused due to my reaction. Ji Yong had to travel to Hong Kong; he’ll be back tomorrow.

“I…I… don’t want to work today. Besides, Gahee will come in an hour to check on me.” I lied. I wanted to be alone so I could figure out why was this happening. Ari didn’t move; she stayed there like a statue. “Are you going to leave?” I asked.

“I don’t think I should… you don’t look well, Sajangnim.” She replied.

“GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?” I shouted at the top of my lungs. She flinched. I have never raised my voice to her, I really wasn’t thinking clearly but I needed to be by myself.

“I’m so sorry Sajangnim.” She said with teary eyes. It broke my heart, but it helped me to get what I want. Ari quickly left after my irrational behavior.

I’ve been following Gahee’s instructions exactly, so exactly that now I can walk and move around during the day, but I still can’t go to work to the office. I grabbed both letters and started to analyze them. It’s the same paper, the same envelope, and the same handwriting. It’s written in English. The person who wrote this probably knows that I’m not that good at reading Hangul.

“What can I do? Should I go to the police? No. That’s not an option. I need someone’s help. Who can help me with this? I can’t tell Ji Yong, he’s so stressed out due to the press conference and our 2nd wedding, letting him know of something like this would be like burying him alive. Besides, he’s in Hong Kong with Big Bang; they’re performing tonight at MAMA. I quickly thought of Soo Hyun Oppa, No! I’m tired of hurting him; I can’t go to him with something of this magnitude. Gahee wouldn’t know what to do. Who else I know? I’ve never spoke with Yang Sajangnim before… And then something lighted up in my head. Bae Uijang, KeyEast’s Chairman, I’ve met him a couple of times before, he’s really gentle and I feel comfortable around him. Maybe he can help me with this.”

I obviously didn’t have his phone number and I didn’t know anyone else besides Soo Hyun that would have it. I remembered how Soo Hyun told me that he goes every Wednesday to the office. I quickly looked at my phone’s calendar; today is Tuesday. I’ll go tomorrow to see him! I know he is the only who can help me with this.

 

The next day, I got ready at the speed of light. I dressed terribly: pants, a baggy hoodie with a cap and sunglasses. It’s not like I just could appear there dressed like a normal person. I know this is a big risk, if anyone recognizes me, I’ll be in big trouble, fans that want to see their idols always surround KeyEast’s building. I’ll just have to take the risk.

I took an Uber, which left me two blocks away. I put a facemask on and started walking towards the building. I could see a lot of fans standing outside. I was walking between them trying to reach the main gate. “Excuse me… I’m so sorry.” I said to everyone while making my way through the multitude. I crossed the street and reached the main gate, the guard looked at me like a giant looks towards an insect. “Yah! Move! You know very well that fans need to leave the building access free.” He impolitely said.

I took my sunglasses and my facemask so he could see my face. “Ajussi, please tell Bae Uijang that I need to meet him.” I begged. The guard frowned. “I’m Emilia Haro, he knows me. Please, let him now I’m here.” I begged once again. Maybe the desperation in my eyes or the fear in my voice made him do what I asked. He walked inside the guard post, a couple of minutes later he let me in. I sighed relieved. I was reaching the lobby when I heard a phone ringing; I always keep my phone in vibration mode. The ringing was coming from my clothes. I found it in my left hoodie’s pocket. It’s a phone I’ve never seen in my life. My hand started shaking. “H-Hello?” I stuttered.

“If you tell Bae Yong Joon about our game, say goodbye to Kim Soo Hyun, I’ll kill him first… slowly and painfully, and then I’ll pay a visit to Ji Yong.” A man said, he clearly was using a voice generator to hide his real voice. My heart dropped.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter