Ch. 3: Love is a Four Letter Word

The Starlets- [Discontinued, but working on Epilogue]

 

The Starlets sat around the living room of the dorm silently, listening intently as they overheard the conversation that was going on over Minho’s phone on loudspeaker. Jaemi and Minyeon sat on either side of him, heads cocked in the direction of the phone.

“You’re joking, right?” asked Minho in an even tone. “These women are scheduled to start recording their songs in less than a week. You can’t just decide to have them re-write a third of the songs.”

“We’ve taken that into consideration, Mr. Ahn,” the voice on the other end of the line replied. “We are rescheduling the recording session. We’re going to work in vocal lessons as part of the show. In the meantime, we want the debut song changed. We have some requirements that we would like them to follow in regards to the other songs.”

“Such as?” Jaemi asked, leaning closer to the phone.

“Well, Miss Jung, we will be sending you an email shortly with our specifications. However, I will inform you now that you will be required to collaborate with Super Junior to write at least one of your songs. This will be filmed so that we can add segments of it to the show.” The person on the other line cleared his throat. “And speaking of requirements, I feel the need to re-emphasize the need for all of you to maintain an upright standing in society.”

Minho rolled his eyes, shaking his head gently.

“No scandals. No wild parties.”

Byulhee fidgeted slightly with her hands, glancing about at the other members. None of the other women seemed to notice her discomfiture as their eyes stayed glued to the phone.

“No men in your dorm excepting your manager and Super Junior members when filming,” the representative from SM continued. “Nothing that will bring any sort of reproach on SM. We’ll send you an itinerary for the week for all of your schedules via email within the next few minutes. I’ve got to be going. Have another conference call. If you have questions, shoot me an email later. Good-bye.” The line went dead.

Minho let out a sigh, pulling out his laptop. “Guess we’d better see what the plan is,” he muttered, typing in his password. As he waited for the screen to load, he glanced at Jaemi. “Well, should we tell them our plan now?”

Jaemi nodded.

Minho glanced about at the women around him. “So, as your managers, we have come to a decision. We knew that SM would place restrictions on you.” He scoffed. “You are all grown women. If you want to date, that’s fine. Go ahead. Just be discreet about it.” He sent a smile to Nell, glancing at the couple ring that adorned her left hand.

“Also,” Jaemi began. “We know that most of you have given up your homes to move into the dorm. It will be kinda hard for you to have some time to yourself or men over here, so Minho and I talked it over…” She trailed off, shrugging her shoulders slightly. “I’m leaving my apartment key here for whoever wants to use my apartment for a chance to get away, have a date night, or anything else. It’s easy to get to. The room is by the staircase, which no one really uses, so less chance of being seen. You’re all free to use whatever you want in there with the exception of anything in my room. My room is off limits. Other than that, you’re free to use anything else.” Her face flushed slightly. “Even the guest room if you want. Just—” She clicked her tongue. “—text me that you’re staying overnight. I don’t want to accidently walk in on you.”

Byulhee chuckled.

Jaemi shot her a look and then continued. “And I don’t want any sort of evidence laying around that you were there. If you use my kitchen to cook, clean it up. If you decide to make a fort in the living room--" She chuckled. "--put everything away when you’re done.” She took her spare key from her pocket. “The key will be hanging on shelf by the door.” She glanced at Minho’s laptop as he pulled up his new emails. “Though I think I’ll be keeping it for tonight.” Her eyes darted between Minyeon and Byulhee. “We’ve got to get started on writing the new songs.”

Minho nodded. “I’m going to forward these emails to all of you so you know the schedules.” He typed and clicked away at the laptop. “There.” He looked up from the laptop. “Also, I wanted to add something to the whole dating subject.” He glanced between all the women. “Be discreet as possible. However, if any of you are ever in a serious relationship and want to go public, let me know. We’ll find a way to make it happen as smoothly as possible without upsetting SM too much, but I’m sure we can do it.” He smiled. “JJE doesn’t want their idols to have to completely sacrifice their normal lives.” He let out a breath. “Well—” He rubbed his hands together and turned to Minyeon. “Did you have anything you want to add?”

“Not at the moment,” she replied calmly. “I think you covered everything.”

He glanced at Jaemi. “Anything else?”

Jaemi shook her head gently. “Nope.” She glanced down at her phone as it vibrated, indicating that she had just received the forwarded emails. “Well, guess we better get started.” She turned to Minyeon and Byulhee. “Ready?”

“Yeah,” Minyeon replied, standing up with Byulhee following suit.

“See ya later!” called Byulhee, waving a hand as the three left through the door.

Minho looked at the remaining members. “As for the rest of you, look over the schedule and try to get some rest tonight. Photoshoots are tomorrow.” He put his laptop in his knapsack and stood up. “I’ve gotta go. Got a date tonight.” He sent them a wink. “See you tomorrow!”

“See ya!” the four women called back as he left the dorms.

As the door shut behind him, Lìxúe turned to the other members. “Is anyone hungry? I’m going to make dinner.”

“Yes, thank you,” replied Nell politely with a smile, taking out her phone to look over their upcoming schedules.

“Thanks, but I have to be going myself,” said Aeyeong as she stood up. “I have a cat who’s probably missing me by now.” She smiled as she gathered up her purse. “Get some rest. See you tomorrow!”

“Bye!” the last three members called as Aeyeong made her exit.

Sijin sat back into the sofa cushions, her blonde hair falling over her shoulders. She let out a sigh as she thought about the photoshoot the next day. She was not looking forward to it to say the least. She glanced down at her rather loose and comfy T-shirt with Mickey Mouse printed on it. She was not comfortable with wearing dresses or skirts without wearing a pair of shoots underneath; how much more uncomfortable would she be wearing tiny little outfits? Her thoughts drifted to all the things her mother used to say about her figure. She bit her fingernails, wondering what sort of outfits they would have to wear on the morrow.

As she sat thinking, her mind drifted to the conversation that had occurred just minutes before. She did not have a boyfriend anymore so she did not have to worry about that for the time being. Her lips contorted into a small frown, remembering her former boyfriend. He had been unfaithful to her. She felt her chest tighten slightly as the image of him kissing that other women appeared in her mind. Her chest rose and fell gently as she let out a sigh and picked up a book nearby. She was not going to focus on that any more.

She opened up her book to where her bookmark was placed and began to settle down comfortably on the couch to immerse herself in another world and time.

Nell's phone vibrated in her hand, indicating that she had just received a text message. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips when she saw the name of the sender. She sent a text back quickly, making plans to see each other amidst their schedules. She pocketed her phone, the Captain America insignia on the case sending another smile to her face as she remembered when her boyfriend dressed up as the character for a Super Show.

Her eyes fell on her ring. She was thankful that the others were alright with her dating; however, no one knew whom she was dating—let alone that he was a member of Super Junior. How would they feel if they found out that she and Siwon were dating? It was one thing to be dating a “normal” person, but someone whom the other members might view as an enemy? She was not sure.

In the meantime, she would keep her romance with Siwon a secret. She believed that when the time was right, all would be revealed in due course.

****

Notebooks, composition sheets, and writing utensils littered the coffee table in Jaemi’s apartment. Minyeon sat on the armchair, a notebook and pen in hand. Her mp3 laid next to her on the armrest. Byulhee and Jaemi sat on the sofa, with notebooks and pens as well. An electric keyboard stood to the side at the ready for whenever they wanted to try a few notes to fit with the lyrics.

They had been working at the lyrics and music for a few hours and they had come up a rather solid set of piece of work that just required a few edits and be set to a proper set of instruments.

Minyeon looked over the lyrics on her sheet, her eyes falling over the words. They had been easy to write. In fact, between the three of them, the words seemed to just float right onto the page. Minyeon’s eyes darted to the other two women, wondering if perhaps they too had been unlucky in love. “Ready?” she asked as her fingers hovered over her mp3 player to play the music they had recorded earlier on the keyboard.

“Mmhmm,” Byulhee hummed.

Minyeon pressed the “play” button and keyboard chords began to spill from the speakers. “You don’t love me,” she sang in English. More chords played as she awaited the next cue. “Today I’m ready.”

“You don’t love me,” sang Jaemi and Byulhee together in English.

“It’s time to say everything,” Minyeon continued.

“You don’t love me.”

“In the end, it’s a simple story.”

“You don’t love me.”

Minyeon's mind flickered to her own failed love story. “You don’t love me.”

“You don’t love me,” chimed the other two.

“Your eyes that pretended to be surprised—” Jaemi took the lead as Minyeon recalled the trainee days at SM, when she was dating in secret.

It had been difficult to say the least and put strain upon their relationship. They quarreled and grew angry with each other.

“You don’t love me,” sang Minyeon and Byulhee together.

“It’s time to say everything,” Jaemi continued.

It was ultimately their secrecy that severed the romance.

“You don’t love me.”

“It’s obvious like last night’s drama,” sang Jaemi.

It was their secrecy that drove the two apart; however, it was painful for both when they did end the relationship.

“You don’t love me.”

“Deceiving me any further is too much,” Jaemi sang.

It was still painful actually.

“You don’t love me,” Minyeon and Byulhee continued to sing.

It hurt when she discovered that he was marrying.

“You don’t love me,” Jaemi continued.

Now he was married... 

“For all this time,” Minyeon began, taking the lead again. “I only looked at you and held it in. How could you do this to me?”

...and she still loved him.

All three sang, “You don’t love me.”

“I’m a girl who is different from you,” Byulhee sang, claiming the lead.

“You don’t love me,” Minyeon and Jaemi sang in sync.

“Who is crazy when it comes to love,” continued Byulhee.

“You don’t love me.”

“Calculating and measuring every little thing—”

“You don’t love—”

“Is that what you call love?”

As the three women continued to sing the lyrics, their voices strong and controlled, it became apparent that this would be their official debut song. They continued to work hard into the late hours of the night before finally turning in, completely satisfied with their work.

****

Sunlight streamed through the bedroom curtains, gently waking the sleeping figures in the bed. Aeyeong blinked her eyes a couple times, her eyes adjusting to the light. She picked up her phone from the nightstand and turned it over to look at the time. She still had a few minutes before her alarm would sound. She slid her fingers across the screen, turning the alarm off. She sat up, brushing her long, wavy hair back with her fingers. She looked down at the sleeping figure beside her, his chest rising and falling with his even breathing. A smile played across her face as she watched Donghae’s nose scrunch up in his sleep.  He looked so childish when he slept; it was rather adorable. She leaned over, kissing his forehead gently. “Dong-hae!” she called in a sing-song voice. “Hae, it’s time to wake up.”

His face broke out into a goofy smile as his eyelids scrunched up playfully.

“Come on,” she sang. “Time to—”

Donghae turned over on his side, wrapping his strong arms around Aeyeong and pulling her down next to him. He tightened his grip around her, burying his head between her shoulder and her neck.

“Hae…” she cooed, trying to nudge his arms off of her. “We have to get up. We have schedules.”

Donghae smiled goofily, his eyes still closed. “Don’t wake me up,” he began singing softly.

Aeyeong scoffed quietly as he continued to sing the song that he wrote and composed with their morning routine in mind.

“Don’t wake me u-u-up,” he sang softly, his voice fading to a whisper.

There was a moment of silence and Aeyeong was beginning to wonder if he had fallen asleep again. However, that idea quickly disappeared when she felt his lips against her neck. She was about to protest and remind him that they had to get ready for schedules when Donghae suddenly bolted up.

“Hey!” he cried out as Berlioz, her cat, bounded up from beneath the covers.

Berlioz hissed at Donghae and then nuzzled himself up to Aeyeong.

“That cat hates me,” Donghae muttered as he sat up against the headboard, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

“Well, you are a fish after all,” Aeyeong replied with a chuckle, detaching Berlioz’s paws from her shoulder as he began to knead at her pajama shirt in affection. She held the cat in her arms as she stood up to get ready. She glanced at Donghae.

He still sat, examining his hand where a tiny cut was, presumably from where Berlioz had just scratched him. Donghae sent her a pouty look.

Aeyeong giggled quietly. “Come on Hae. Schedules!” She set down Berlioz and stepped into the washroom to shower for the day. After showering, when she was drying her hair, her mind wandered to the day ahead. It was exciting that she would be working with Hae so much; however, she was a little nervous about him not being able to keep their secret long with them being in such close company in public. Though he had kept their relationship a secret for ten years, she knew him and he was not exactly the most discreet person. A wry smile crossed her face. It was actually a little surprising that he had kept it a secret this long.

Her phone began to ring, vibrating against the counter. She picked up the phone, glancing at the caller ID. She felt a twinge of guilt. It was her best friend, Jaemi.

Even though Jaemi was her best friend, she had never told her about her relationship with Donghae. She knew how Jaemi felt about Super Junior. It was safer this way; her not knowing.

She answered the call. “Hey, Jaemi. What’s up?”

“Hey! Minyeon, Byul, and I were just about to leave. Want me to pick you up so you don’t have to drive? It’s on the way.”

“Oh, no thanks. I’m running a little late today.”

“You? Running late?” Aeyeong could hear Jaemi chuckle on the other end of the line. “Since when are you ever late?”

Aeyeong laughed. “You know what I mean. I’m just a little slow today. I’ll still be there early.”

Jaemi chuckled. “You sure you don’t want a ride?”

“No. Thanks anyway. So, how did it go last night?”

“Good. Our debut song is done.”

“Wait. How do you know it will be the debut song?”

“We’ve got a good feeling about this one.”

Aeyeong chuckled. “Alright. Well, I have to finish getting ready. I’ll see you in a bit.”

“Alright. Bye!”

Aeyeong hung up the phone with a sigh.

She always hated the fact that she had to be dishonest with Jaemi in regards to her love life, but she had no other choice.

****

The Starlets stood outside the studio being used for the photoshoot. Cameras, microphones, and all sorts of crew members and equipment surrounded them from both SME and JJE as they waited for Super Junior to arrive. The plan was that once Super Junior arrived, the filming would begin. Both groups would introduce themselves and Super Junior would begin their role as mentors and give the women tips for the upcoming magazine photoshoots.

The women stood silently, shuffling their feet and twiddling on their phones as the minutes passed.

“Attention everyone!” the Program Director called. “Super Junior is only two blocks away. Everyone look alive.”

The Starlets lined up, waiting for the arrival of the vans. Cameras rolled. The crew awaited silently with anticipation.

Several black vans passed through the security check, rolling towards them.

A couple of The Starlets members took deep breaths to calm their unsteady nerves.

The vans came to a stop and the doors opened. Leeteuk stepped out of the van, waving. “Hello everyone!” As the rest of the other members gathered around he took a bow, the other members soon following suit. They raised their heads once more. “We are Super Juni—”

“—ior!” the rest of the members chimed in, hands outstretched in the classic “five” shape.

“And welcome to our new show: Super Junior’s Hindsight!” Leeteuk said, his eyes bright with enthusiasm.

Jaemi refrained from rolling her eyes. Everyone knew it was a cheesy title, but SME was not known for being the most creative company.

“In the past, we have had a lot of shows like the Super Junior Show and Super Junior Full House,” continued Leeteuk in a calmer voice. “One of our shows was called Super Junior Foresight, where we had our sunbaes teach us and give us advice. Now it’s our turn.”

“This will be a little different though from Super Junior Foresight,” Eunhyuk chimed in, stepping forward. “This time we’re helping a new rookie group through the whole process of debuting. We would like to introduce you to them.” He gestured a hand toward where The Starlets were all aligned. “The Starlets!”

“Thank you!” said Minyeon with a smile. “Please take care of us!” She and the rest of the women bowed. After a few seconds they straightened up.

“Cut!” cried the Production Director. “Very good. Let’s move the equipment inside and then we’ll get started with the next part and the photoshoot.

****

Lìxúe stood off to the side, watching as several of the Super Junior members were instructing Sijin, Aeyeong, and Byulhee on how to be relaxed and have fun during a photoshoot. Super Junior’s music was playing in the background to make the atmosphere more relaxed and inviting. She, Minyeon, Jaemi, and Nell had all had experience in photoshoots in one form or another so had not needed the instruction and had gotten through their shoots with little trouble. The Program Director decided to focus on the progress of Aeyeong, Byulhee, and Sijin since they were the least familiar in this area.

She felt a presence come up next to her.

“Having fun?” whispered a familiar voice.

She smiled, turning to see the all too familiar tall and lanky figure by her side. “Hey, Zhoumi. How are you doing?” she asked.

“Good,” he replied with a grin, his eyes crinkling slightly in the corners.

“Hey!” cried Kangin, causing both Lìxúe and Zhoumi to look in his direction. Kangin was glaring at Yesung as Yesung danced one of his crazy “octopus” dances. Judging by the look on Kangin’s face, Yesung probably hit him in the process of “dancing”.

Lìxúe giggled quietly. “And we’re supposed to learn from you guys?” she asked teasingly.

Zhoumi laughed softly, covering his mouth so as not to be too loud. “As long as Yesung doesn’t teach you how to dance, I think it will be alright.”

She giggled softly. “I think maybe you shouldn’t try teaching either,” she joked.

Zhoumi looked at her in mock shock. He flipped his hair dramatically. “Well!”

They both broke out in laughter, turning away so as not to be disturb the recording. When their laughter had died away, they both glanced at each other, eyes bright and smiles wide.

It was going to be fun working so closely together.

 

Author's Note
Hey everyone! Sorry about the late update! I apologize if there are any errors. I'm sick and my mind is kinda foggy right now, so my editing probably wasn't the best. So, I'm really sorry if anything doesn't make sense or if there are errors or anything!

Just FYI, the lyrics to SPICA's "You Don't Love Me" were in English. I did not translate it. I found it on the internet. I do not take credit in translating. Nor do I own SPICA or any of their songs. (Nor do I own Super Junior or any of their songs. Though I wouldn't mind having one of those boys all to myself. lol. jk.) 

Thank you for reading! 

If you do not not I am portraying your character correctly, please send me a PM and we'll talk. :) 

Thank you again for reading! Have a good day!