Ch. 2: The Stage is Set

The Starlets- [Discontinued, but working on Epilogue]
 

"You can't be serious," Jaemi said, looking down at the packet in front of her. "A TV show? What do we look like, The Brady Bunch?" She scoffed quietly before glancing about the rectangular table at which she sat. On her left was a lawyer from JJ Entertainment, Oh Miyoung, and on her right sat the head manager of The Starlets, Ahn Minho. At the head and end of the table sat the executives of SM. Scattered in the other seats were the members of Super Junior, with Leeteuk sitting right across the table from her.  

This had not been her day.

To start the meeting off, her old contract from her trainee days was brought to the table. Literally.

According to the contract, neither she nor any of the other members had clearance to sing solo or in a group for a total of twelve years after the disbandment. SM claimed rights for their "artistic vocals" and license for any songs they may produce within that "probation period".

The whole thing gave Jaemi a headache. 

In other words, for The Starlets to debut, SM had to claim partial ownership of the group, which meant that they would have to bend to SM's wishes and direction in matters. And it was clear to Jaemi that SM had their own agenda: to promote Super Junior. Despite their international fame, it was no shock to learn that their popularity had declined over the years with the emergence of newer, younger groups , but she was a bit surprised to find how desperate SM seeme to keep them going. 

It was a shame they could not have been like that with her group all those years ago... 

Jaemi glanced down at the various papers in front her. There were plans for live performances, public appearances, and even a TV show. She shook her head gently at the absurdity of the matter. 

What would happen though when the twelve year period ended?

She glanced up, her eyes catching Leeteuk's for a brief moment. He was leaning forward slightly as if awaiting a response. She turned her head to regard the suit at the head of the table. "Excuse me," she said, addressing him politely as she put down the packet and picked up the contract. "If we collaborate on this and do not violate our contract, then once the twelve year 'probabtion' period ends, are The Starlets relinquished of SM and then fully under the control over JJ Entertainment?"

The man nodded. "That is correct. Once the twelve year mark commences, then your contract will be completely terminated with us." 

"And you will no longer have any creative license over us, correct?"

"That is correct, MIss Jung." 

Oh Miyoung, the laywer from JJ Entertainment, began speaking, spewing some legal terminology and ascertaining that everything was taken down in writing. 

Jaemi resumed perusing over the different stacks of paper, making sure that she comprehended everything therein until someone spoke her name, rousing her from her task.

"Miss Jung?"

"Yes?" She looked up from the paperwork.

"Do we have an agreement?"

Jaemi smiled graciously. "I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedules to meet with us." She glanced about the table, nodding to the different executives of SM and the members of Super Junior, purposely avoiding Leeteuk's gaze as she did so. "However, I am afraid I can't give an answer just yet." She turned to the man at the head of the table. "I have to consult with the other members about this first." She stood up, prompting Oh Miyoung and Ahn Minho to stand as well. "I will give you our answer and set up another meeting within the next 24 hours." She bowed low. "Kamsahamnida." She straightened up, sending them one last gracious smile as the exectutives nodded their heads in understanding.

The man at the head of the table stood up, nodding his head in agreement. "I think that would be wise, Miss Jung. We will be awaiting your answer."

"Thank you again," she replied with a bow of her head before turning to head out the door, Miyoung and Minho following. The three proceeded to exit the building. Once they had reached the parking lot, Jaemi turned to them, pausing in her step. "What do you guys think? Think it will work?" 

Minho nodded, ing his suit jacket and putting his hands in his pockets. "I think we can use this to our advantage actually. Like it or not, Super Junior is an established group. Sure, SM will be using you to promote them, but the same works vice versa. You will benefit from their stardom. The only downside is, they'll try to push you to the sidelines," he said with a frown. "You'll have to fight to stay on top." 

Jaemi nodded, mulling over his words. She shifted her attention to Miyoung. "What do you think?" 

Miyoung sighed. "We  don't have much of a choice. The contract you signed is quite clear. If you fail to comply, then you will not be able to debut for over a year and by that time--" she broke off, clicking her tongue.

"By that time, it's less likely the public will care about us," finished Jaemi knowingly. "We have the attention now. Our chance is now," she said with a sigh. "Wait a year, we lose that." She took a breath. "Well. Guess we better meet with the others to talk about this. See you in a bit." She waved, turning to leave. As she made her way to her car, her mind wandered to her trainee days. If only she had dealt with things in a calmer manner and spoke with her whole group openly, then perhaps things would have ended differently.

****

 

Byulhee walked though the hall towards the dance practice room, a bounce in her step and a wide smile on her face. 

She felt so free. So alive. 

Life was great here.  

Growing up in Jeju City was nice, but... it was too boring. Sure, she had her parents there... She was popular in school. She even had a loving boyfriend-- a jock at that!-- named Yonghwa.

Though, what was he to her now?

Her brows suddenly furrowed at the thought. She was not sure.

Her mind turned again to Jeju. It was nice. But... something was missing there. She never felt complete there.

Then she came here.

Her smile brightened again. 

The city.

This is where life happened. 

There was so much here that the city had to offer...

Life. 

Love. 

Joy. 

Laughter. 

Fun! 

It had everything! 

She cocked her head to the side.

How long had she been here anyway? She hardly knew. Between the long hours of training and classes and going to school, she had put in a lot of work. It was hard, but now it was finally paying off! She was part of a group and they were going to debut!

Life was happening fast. 

She could feel the time ticking down towards their debut.

Her dream was rapidly approaching. 

She was excited. Ecstastic even. 

She could not wait to feel the warmth of the spotlight on her as she strutted upon stage with her other group members, rapping a set of lyrics that she helped compose...

Her eyes twinkled as she grinned even more at the thought. This is what she was born to do. She knew it. She felt it. 

However...

Things were happening a little too fast. She knew that idol life was not easy. Life would become stricter once her group debuted. She would lose that freedom she had only just recently experienced... 

It was amazing really. The city night life. 

A few weeks ago, a couple of the other trainees had asked her to go clubbing with them as they had fake IDs. Thinking it would be such fun and quite a new adventure compared to her dull life on Jeju island, Byulhee responded readily, her eyes bright and excited. Since that day, she had spent many hours basking in the lights of the Seoul nightlife. Clubbing. Drinking. Dancing. 

With her bright personality, zest for life, and that contagious laughter of hers, it was quite easy to have fun. She felt comfortable with almost anyone she met, making new friends with girls and guys alike. 

It was all so much fun. 

"Hey everyone!" Byulhee entered the practice room, grinning as her eyes darted between the other members who were there and already stretching. "Hey, unnie!" she exclaimed, slapping Jaemi on the rear as she passed her. 

"Oh hey, Byul," Jaemi replied, turning around and sending her a smile. "How are you?"

"Good!" Byulhee responded readily, her eyes squinting as she smiled. "And you?"

"Alright." Jaemi shrugged. She leaned forward, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Hey, can I talk to you after practice? Alone?"

"Alone?" Byulhee chuckled. "Sure, unnie. But I think I should warn you; I have a boyfriend." 

Jaemi facepalmed, chuckiling quietly. "Byul..."

"Just teasing." Byulhee giggled. She set down her bag and began to stretch, wondering what Jaemi needed to talk to her about.

Dance practice was fun, though Byulhee did mess up quite a few times, probably because she missed the last couple of practices...

Oops. 

She resolved not to miss the next few until she got the dance down pat. Then she could reward herself with another night out, right?

She smiled at the thought.

As the rest of the members cleared out of the room, laughing and chatting genially, Byulhee took a swig of her water to cool herself down after the long hours of rehearsal.

Jaemi made her way over to the door, closing it completely once the other members were out of earshot. She turned and walked over to Byulhee, fidgeting slightly with her hands. "Hey, Byul. Um..." She let out a sigh. "Is everything okay?"

Byulhee furrowed her brows. "What do you mean?" She tilted her head slightly, trying to read Jaemi's expression.

"You've missed a lot of practices," stated Jaemi. "I was wondering if everything was okay. I know that you've worked hard to get here and it doesn't seem like you would just suddenly miss practice now. So, if you aren't feeling well..." She shrugged. "Or something is going on..." She trailed off, expecting Byulhee to answer. 

Byulhee smiled. "You don't need to worry, unnie. I'm fine. I've just--" she paused, her face falling as a sudden twinge of guilt struck her. She did not want to exactly tell Jaemi that she had missed those practices to go out clubbing. 

Noting the somewhat troubled expression that had appeared on Byulhee's face, Jaemi's eyes softened and she placed her hands on Byulhee's shoulders. "If there's something wrong, just tell me. I want to help you."

For probably the first time ever in her life, Byulhee did not want someone's hands on her shoulders. She felt a pit in her stomach just thinking that Jaemi was worried about her while she was out having fun. She shrugged her shoulders, causing Jaemi to let go. "I'm fine. Really, unnie!" she said brightly. "I was just out."

Jaemi's brows furrowed and she pulled back, tilting her head in confusion. "What do you mean 'out'?" 

"You know. 'Out'." Byulhee shrugged. "Out at clubs and stuff. Nothing for you to worry about." She smiled genuinely, hoping that Jaemi would not worry any more. 

Jaemi's eyes flashed. "What?!" she snapped.

Byulhee's eyes widened at the sharp tone Jaemi used. 

"You've been out clubbing? Why?!" 

"I-I needed a break," Byulhee responded. "That's all. I just wanted to have a little fun before we debut. I can't really do that much after we debut, so I figured I might as well have a bit of a normal life now, you know?"

"Are you kidding me?" Jaemi exclaimed, turning away for a moment, folding her arms to her chest. "Of all the--" she muttered quietly, shaking her head. "Don't you know what that could do?" She shifted her attention back to Byulhee, a serious expression in her eyes. "To Starlet? To us?" 

"But we haven't debuted yet," Byulhee said matter-of-factly, shrugging her shoulders. "No one knows us yet." Since no one even knew who she was, how could it even harm her or her group if she was out clubbing? It was not like she was idol yet with a reputation.

"That doesn't matter!" cried Jaemi, running a hand through her hair in irritation as she turned away again. "Just because we haven't debuted yet doesn't mean that no one is watching; that our actions don't affect us!" She walked a couple of steps away, placing her hands on her hips, taking a few breaths to steady her nerves. 

A strained silence fell over the room.

Byulhee understood what Jaemi was trying to say, but a little fun couldn't hurt, right? She just wanted a little bit of a normal life now before the chaos and restrictions of idol life came into effect. What was so wrong with that?

Maybe she should just listen to Jaemi. Maybe she shouldn't go out as much.

It would not hurt to have a little fun, but--

She did have an obligation to her fellow members.

She knew she would have to do better. She could still have fun, while not missing as many rehearsals, right? 

After a few moments, Jaemi turned around, looking Byulhee squarely in the eye. "No more of this. No more clubs. No more parties. You come to practice. Do you hear me?"

Byulhee's eyes widened. No more at all? Jaemi was trying to cut her off completely from it? She couldn't just take away her freedom like that! 

She shoved her hands over her ears. "I'm not listening!"

Jaemi's face flashed. "Don't act like this."

"Still cant' hear you!" Byulhee said, sending Jaemi a glare. "I can do what I want!" She turned, taking her hands off her ears as she headed to the door.

Jaemi called after her, but Byulhee ignored her, slamming the door dramatically behind her as she exited the room.

Jaemi was not going to cut off her freedom like that!

Byulhee fumed, resolving to skip the next two practices to spite Jaemi. Jaemi needed to learn that she did not control her! Just because she was the leader did not mean that she could boss her around like that!

 

****

 

Byulhee looked over at her former leader as she, Minho, and Miyoung finished explaining what had occurred at the meeting at SM earlier that day. They were all gathered in the living room of the dorms, seated about on the sofas and the floor. Byulhee sat on one of the sofas in between Sijin and Minyeon. Excited and nervous, she strummed her fingers on her lap anxiously. 

Jaemi glanced between the other members as if gauging the reactions of her fellow colleagues. "So, what do you think? Do we sign or not?"

"Isn't it your decision, unnie?" Byulhee asked, tilting her head slightly.

Jaemi shook her head. "Nope. It's yours. If we want to succeed, we need to do this as a team. I'm not going to make the same mistakes I did before." She sent Byulhee a half smile before turning to the new leader, Minyeon.

Byulhee glanced at the woman next to her. Minyeon was a pretty woman, but she often wore a very neutral expression on her face. Even now, she sat without either a smile or a frown with her hands folded neatly in her lap. She recalled that Minyeon was not the type to get overly excited about things.  

"What do you think?" Jaemi asked. 

Minyeon's eyes wandered about the other members, taking in the expressions on their faces. "I think--" She shifted her attention back to Jaemi, sending her a faint smile. "--that it is a good idea. Like you said, we have the public eye. JJE has already released a statement that they will be debuting a new girl group and has teased some of our pictures on the website. People may not know us yet fully, but we do have the attention. I agree that if we wait, we will lose our chance." 

Jaemi turned to the rest of the members. "Well, what do you guys think?"

Nell, a beautiful woman wearing a loose, mid-thigh length dress from Chanel, smiled sweetly. "I think that this is really our golden opportunity." She brushed her long hair back with her fingers. "I mean, they're legends. They've been in the industry a long time. I'm sure they can teach us a lot."

Byulhee nodded vehemently. "I agree! They're legends and we're just rookies!" She grinned. "Besides, it will be good to see some of the guys again!" She clapped her hands together in excitement. "It's been sooooo long! Like I haven't seen Donghae or Hyukjae in like over a thosand years! And Siwon!"

Nell's eyes flashed.

Byulhee continued. "You know, I used to have practice with Siwon and he was so nice to me! He's changed so much since then! Now he's like, huge, very good-looking, and muscly..." She gestured as she spoke, flexing her muscles and emphasizing just how much Siwon had grown. "I'm going to be so intimidated!" She sat back, eyes wide and mouth agape as if that fine speciman of a man was standing right before her very eyes at that moment. She blinked, a sad look crossing her face. "Will he even remember me?" She stuck her lip out in a pout as her eyes grew wide with distress. 

Nell crossed one leg over her knee, adjusting her dress with her hand as she did so. She glanced at Byulhee cooly in a little bit of condescention. She turned with a polite smile to listen to the other members as they stated their opinions on the matter. 

As the other women agreed, Byulhee felt her heart quicken. 

This was actually going to happen! 

They were actually going to do this!

They would debut after all! 

She bounced her foot in excitement. 

Things were finally looking up!

****

 

Byulhee stared down at the ground as she trudged down the sidewalk. Her heart was heavy. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes. 

That was it.

She had been let go. Dropped from the company.

She blinked, trying to push the tears back, but only succeeding in allowing them to fall.

The manager had called her into his office not twenty minutes before and had told her the news. Because of her choices and 'lifestyle', SM had decided to let her go. They could not--would not-- allow her to continue in the company at all.  She would no longer debut with the rest of 스타레트Her dreams of being an idol were shattered.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She pulled it out and saw Jaemi's name on the screen. Tears rolled down her cheeks, unheeded, as she stared at the screen. She shoved the phone back in her pocket, ignoring the call. 

Her dreams of debuting with 스타레트 were gone.

There was nothing left for her here.

She took a deep, shaky breath.

She needed to leave the city.

She needed a break.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket again. She looked at the screen. Her boyfriend, Yonghwa, was calling her. A small smile crossed her lips as she continued to cry. At least there was someone who still cared about her...

She answered the phone, her smile growing a little wider upon hearing Yonghwa's warm voice answer in return.

As she listened to that familiar voice of his, her tears continued to fall, but her smile softened. She needed his comfort. She needed him right now.  

It was time to go home and take a break from the life she had been living here in Seoul.

She needed him. 

****

 

"Is that all you need?" asked Byulhee as she finished signing the contract. She sat in a meeting room at SM with the rest of the members and Minho and Miyoung, finalizing negotiations with SM. Super Junior was also in attendance, seated around the table and elsewhere in the room where more chairs could be seated. Byulhee imagined they had to borrow chairs from a couple other offices to seat everyone. 

Oh Miyoung nodded to Byulhee's question. "Yeah, that's it." Miyoung took the document and handed it to the SM executive sitting at the front of the table. 

The exectutive looked over the seven signatures on the bottom of the document, nodding silently. "Alright," he said, looking up from the contract. "Everything looks good. Once you all fulfill your end of the original contract your obligation to us will be absolved. Until then, you will have to cooperate with our stipulations." He set the contract down and folded his arms on the table. "Miss Boo?"

Minyeon regarded the executive with a neutral expression. "Yes, sir?"

"As leader, you will be required to introduce and represent the group in public appearances. Do you think you can handle this?"

"Of course," she replied, smiling softly.

Leeteuk raised his eyebrows, his eyes widening in surprise. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but closed it immediately.

"We have our full trust in her as our leader," added Jaemi with a genuine smile. "She and the rest of the members are ready, sir. We can handle this."

"We will not disappoint you," continued Minyeon, bowing her head respectfully.

 As the executive began to discuss things with Minyeon, Minho, Jaemi, and Miyoung, Byulhee found herself growing bored of the conversation. She turned, glancing about the room. Her eyes fell on Hyukjae--er, Eunhyuk. Her eyes widened slightly. 

It really had been a long time since she had seen him. 

She remembered how well they had gotten along at first...

...and how disappointed she was when he seemed to be ignoring her thereafter.

He was so handsome now...

She blinked, turning away. 

She would not think about it. What was the point of dwelling on such things? She had had enough with men. Yonghwa. Jinuk.

Junuk had only hindered her from reaching her dream, and she was not going to let that happen again. 

She turned her attention to the exectutive once more as he began talking to the whole table.

"So," he began. "The Starlets will continue with preparations for the album and once the recordings are near completion, we will have both groups begin dance rehearsals for the live performances. In the meantime, we will finalize plans for the show and begin filming as soon as possible." He stood up, signaling for everyone to follow suit as the meeting was adjourned. "Expect to hear from my managers soon."

Everyone bowed in return as he took his leave.

As soon as he had left, the members of The Starlets and Super Junior looked at each with a mixture of looks ranging from excitement to apprehension. The stage was set and It was an interesting cast to say the least. Every single one of them knew that this was only the beginning and no one knew what to expect from this alliance. 

What was to become of either group in this whole scheme? How would everything play out? 

Only time would tell. 

Author's Note: Hey everyone! Sorry it took me awhile to update! Sorry that not all of your characters were featured in this one, but don't worry! I will do my best to continue to highlight and showcase each and every member. And I also promise that all of your characters will have their little romances. (; 

Also for this and future chapters : If you feel that I am not representing your character accurately, please send me a PM and we can discuss it so I can better write your character. (And again, don't worry if your character wasn't featured this time. There's a ton of story ahead!) 

Also, I'm going to apologize in advance. My updates will be a little slow since I am starting a third job, but I promise that I will not abandon this fic. I can't stand not to complete a story. (Let alone let a story for a month without updating.) So do not worry if I don't update for a few weeks. At the very least, I will update at least every month and a half if not sooner. Some updates may come sooner than others, depending on my work schedule. 

Now that we've gotten through the beginning grounds, we can finally get more into the story! There won't be a lot of 'past events' as we continue the story, (mostly just for introducing each of the members of The Starlets). But after that it will all be 'present'. Anyway, now we can start getting to the good stuff! I am so excited and I will do my best to make it enjoyable for you all. :) 

Thank you for reading!