Week 2: Battle Buddies

Nana's Private War
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

How could she solve the problem of the new recruits?   For the past week, Lee Seunghyun became her biggest problem.  He snuck out every night and the other members of the Big Bang would cover up for him especially her crush Choi Seunghyun.  He told her last night that he was out on patrol and that he was attacked by a racoon.  

Nana walked a thin line, but she convinced herself that she needed to stay strong despite the circumstances.   She wanted to gain the respect of her squad and even though she wanted to shun Choi Senghyun for never acknowledging her, she still secretly longed for his piercing  gaze.   She thought of placing her personal feelings aside as she watched the new recruits posing for their squad photos dressed in their olive green uniforms. 

Nana called upon drill sergeant Ma.  

“I want you to resort to strict measures.  We need to turn these boys into real men.”

“Yes, second lieutenant.  I will follow your orders.”  

The drill sargeant closely inspected their shirts making sure that no wrinkles showed and that their pant hems matched even.  

“Recruit Choi Seunghyun.”  He saluted her.  

“Do you play an instrument?” 

“Yes, the harmonica,”  he answered as his cheeks sunk.  

“That’s not an instrument, but a toy,”  the drill sergeant said.  “Do you know left from right?”

“Yes, ma’am.  I know right from left.  You taught me how to march,”  he responded back with a sly smile.  

“Your tag is on the left side.  All of the other recruits dressed correctly for their group photo, but you seem to have broken the squad rules.”  

“At least, I’m wearing boots and not sneakers,”  he grimaced.  

Second Lieutenant Im Ji-nah  raised her swagger stick.  She waved it in the air.  Choi Seunghyun stared at her.  How dare he not lower his gaze in front of his second lieutenant!

“Recruit Choi Seunghyun.  Ten laps up the hill.  Now!”  

Choi Seunghyun followed without questioning.  He huffed as he caught his breath up hill.  

“Make sure they publicize it,”  she told the drill sargeant.  

“Weo?”

“He took punishment for wearing his tag on the wrong side.  Netizens are not kind beings. He’ll be criticized on Naver.  They need to know that he has made a right from a wrong.”  

She found herself suddenly being overprotective of Choi Seunghyun.  Why did she still like him?  It wasn’t like her to pursue a married man.  Nana straightened her beret.  She needed to stay strong and keep her mind off him.  

“Recruit Park Chanyeol.”

“Yes, ma’am,”  he answered.  Her donsaeng officially saluted her.   Had he attended military school?  He knew exactly how to carry out each maneuver.  

“You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter