The New Year

Boys, Boys, Boys III: Boy vs. Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnKqciCz4w

Jay Park: Me Like Yuh

-----------------------------------

Yoonjung rinsed the mixing bowl and spoon and looked around the counter to see if she was missing any ingredient to make her pumpkin layered magic cake, a recipe she had come to succeed after years of practice. She was too busy counting how many eggs there were to realize Mark had siddled up behind her.

He whispered, “Are you okay?”

She smiled and nodded. “Of course.”

He didn’t look convinced. “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Yoonjung replied.

Mark rested a hand on the counter and looked around his packed apartment with a sigh. It had been Stephen’s genius idea to have a New Year’s Eve Party. All of their friends were here, including Jr. and Youngjae. Youngjae was watching sports with a few of the guys, and Jr. was talking with a small group who was in the same major he was. Oddly (but obviously) enough, Byul was in the crowd, and even if she didn’t know much about biochemistry, she still put her two cents in.

“You don’t have to make this, you know.”

“I want to.”

“There are so many people, baby. It’ll be a lot of work. I’ll go and get baked goods now. You don’t have to work so hard.”

“Your roommate wants to taste my pumpkin layered magic cake.”

“I want you to relax and have a good time. You just had your first therapy session yesterday. I don’t want you to overowork yourself…” Mark ran his fingers through his hair as his lips curled downwards in frustration.

“I’m baking, not doing army drills,” Yoonjung teased. She placed a hand on his waist and slipped a kiss on his cheek. “I’ll be fine.”

“Then let me help you.” Mark washed his hands thoroughly and asked, “What can I do?”

With her step-by-step instructions, he mixed the cake layer ingredients while she mixed the pumpkin layer ingredients. Mark watched as Yoonjung spread the pumpkin layer over the cake one. She placed the pans into the pre-heated oven and shut the door. “We need to wait about an hour. I just need to make the cream now.”

Yoonjung realized she got some batter on her fingers and headed for the sink. Mark grasped her wrist to stop her. Yoonjung looked back at him. “What…?” Her eyes bulged when he her fingers. It didn’t look exactly innocent either.

“Oh my gosh, Mark!” Yoonjung lightly slapped his shoulder while turning crimson. “What are you doing?”

“What?”

“People might see us!”

“And?”

“It’s so…naughty!”

“I’m not naughty. I’m good.” Mark flashed an innocent smile at her.

Yoonjung rolled her eyes and shook her head. She turned away as a smile started to play on her face.

Mark came behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I need to make the cream for the topping.”

“I’m not stopping you.”

Yoonjung sighed but didn’t complain any longer. He actually felt nice and cozy against her. They fit together like a puzzle.

Yoonjung finished making the cream and set it in the refrigerator. “Done?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go then.” Mark smiled and took her hand.

He guided her across the living room and outside to the patio. There was one other couple out there, but they were too immersed into each other to care. The night air was chilly but refreshing. Yoonjung rubbed her frigid hands together and blew hot air over them. Mark turned her around and made her back lean against the railing. He smiled dotingly at her as he took her hands and fit them in the pocket of his jacket.

“Oh my gosh!” Yoonjung blinked in pleasant surprise. “Heat packs?”

“Popped them right in before we came out. Knew you wouldn’t have your mittens with you.” Mark winked.

Yoonjung giggled. “You’re the best.” She huddled closer against him for warmth and rested her forehead against his neck.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Mark murmured against her ear as he nibbled the lobe a little. “I’m fine,” Yoonjung assured.

“If you need a break from the chaos, you can escape to my room,” Mark offered.

“Why, Mark Tuan, are you making an indecent suggestion?” Yoonjung teased.

Mark laughed against her ear before taking his hands out of his pockets and locking them around the back of her waist. “I wasn’t, but if you’re suggesting something indecent…” Mark pulled back and gazed down at her face as he bit his lower lip. “I wouldn’t mind at all.”

“Sorry, but no such luck. Not with such a thick crowd as this one.” Yoonjung moved closer to him and wrapped her arms under his shoulders so her hands could rest over his thin but firm shoulder bones. She pressed her lips against his left shoulder as her gaze slid towards the inside of his apartment.

Byul handed Jr. a can of beer. Jr., pleasantly surprised that she realized he had been empty, smiled like the gentleman he was and accepted it with grateful words. He turned towards her and asked her questions, which she responded to with thrill.

Yoonjung giggled, and Mark pulled back to look at her. He followed her gaze and smiled. “Guess we aren’t the only ones with chemistry tonight.”

Yoonjung rested her head against his shoulder, and Mark cradled her side to side. She didn’t want this soothing, peaceful moment to end. It was as if that Christmas night accident hadn’t happened at all.

Mark’s phone rang out of the blue. Yoonjung pulled back, and Mark reached behind him to grab his phone. He saw it was his father calling and frowned at once. She saw who it was and suggested he answer it. “Maybe he wants to say Happy New Year. You should go then.”

“No.”

“But-“

“The last time I left you behind and went to see him, you almost died.”

“Mark, that was a coincidence…”

“No. I don’t need to see him right now, and he doesn’t need me right now either. If he needs something, he can come to me. I’m done going to him.” Mark tucked his phone back into his back pocket. It kept shrilly ringing though and he cursed before turning it off.

“I hope you don’t turn your phone off like that when we argue,” Yoonjung attempted a joke to lighten the atmosphere.

Mark softened and cupped her cheek to her chin. “Of course not. We don’t argue anyways.”

“…You’re right. We never fought once. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not…” Yoonjung tilted her head slightly and looked up at the night sky.

“What? You want us to fight?” Mark raised an eyebrow.

“No!” Yoonjung laughed, “But I wonder why we never fought before…”

“Because we don’t have any disagreements with each other? Because we have no complaints about each other?” Mark guessed.

“I have complaints about you,” Yoonjung stated. Mark looked shocked. “You…do?”

“Yeah!” Yoonjung jerked away from him and poked his chest. “You’re too damn good-looking!” His jaw slung open. She poked his chest with every “complaint.” “You’re too sweet. You’re such a good kisser. You’re too smart. You’re too tall. You have an amazing body. You’re perfect! Sheesh! What am I going to do with you?” She erupted with laughter and doubled over to hug her tummy.

Mark chortled at first but started to break into laughter when she wouldn’t stop laughing. “Come on, you silly girl.” He grasped her arm and straightened her up. “You’re so…” He reached out and swept her hair out of her eyes. “Perfect that it’s unreal. How did I end up so lucky to be with a girl like you?”

Yoonjung joked, “You’re blessed, all right.”

“I am,” Mark agreed right away.

“TEN! NINE! EIGHT!”

“Oh my god! It’s almost the New Year already!” Yoonjung squealed and spun around to face the scenery. They counted down with the rest of the crowd. “FIVE! FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

Yoonjung cheered before spinning around to face her boyfriend. “Happy New Year Mark! I hope we’ll be able to finish this year strong…together.”

“We will. Happy New Year, Yoonjung.” Mark cupped her face, lowered his head, and kissed her. They pulled back and grinned at each other.

“There you guys were!” Jr. and Youngjae joined them.

Youngjae put his arms around them both and looked up at the sky. “HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

Yoonjung laughed as Jr. put an arm around her neck. “Happy New Year, you guys. It’s going to be another great year with you guys.”

“You know it.” Jr. smiled at her.

The four of them looked up the sky with serene smiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUG-_sK-tBs

Yoon Mirae: Always

-----------------------------------

Unlike last year, Yoonjung’s fathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter