Golden Boy and Girl

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Woah, look at that girl. Isn’t she beautiful?”

“That’s the heiress of the Bae family. I heard she just returned from the States.”

“Park Chanyeol is one lucky guy. He always gets the pretty ladies.”

“The two of them grew up together. There are rumors that they used to be a couple.”

Excited murmurs and whispers filled the room as Chanyeol led Irene to the dance floor. Chanyeol held Irene as if she were a delicate vase that would break any moment as the both of them swayed slowly to the sweet melody. 

“I’m so happy you’re back,” Chanyeol said softly, happiness etched all over his face.

Irene smiled back at him sweetly. “I’m really happy too.”

Baekhyun felt his heart give a painful twinge as he stared at the scene in front of him. The way Chanyeol looked at Irene, it was unlike anything Baekhyun had ever seen before. He felt awkward to be watching them, as if he were intruding on a very private moment of theirs. It was obvious that the two of them were wrapped up in their little bubble, blissfully oblivious of the crowd of curious onlookers that have gathered to watch them slow dance.

Golden boy Park Chanyeol and golden girl Irene Bae. What a beautiful pair to behold. Baekhyun would have been happy for them if he weren’t feeling so salty.

Of course, he had heard of Irene before. People call her The Jewel, a fitting nickname as her family owns a very successful jeweler business. She is the source of great pride and joy of the Bae family. Not only had she inherited her great-grandmother’s exceptional beauty, she was also a very skilled pianist, having bagged several awards from international competitions. In short, she was the type of person you would hate and love at the same time—rich, beautiful and talented.

“Now that is interesting,” Sehun commented casually. “I guess I’ll be able to have you all for myself from now on? Park Chanyeol looks like he is ready to move on to the next new thing.”

Sehun felt a sharp stab of guilt as he watched a look of hurt flash across Baekhyun’s face. Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair and let out a dry chuckle. “Yeah. That does seem to be the case.”

He had long since known that Chanyeol would eventually leave him for his next conquest, but he never thought that the day would come this soon. Not when Chanyeol had just promised that he was serious about him. Not when he had begged Baekhyun for a chance to prove his sincerity. And definitely not when Baekhyun was finally ready to open his heart to Chanyeol. Was it really going to be game over so soon?

“Are you okay? Do you want to leave?” Sehun asked, his voice tinged with concern. The sad look on Baekhyun’s face was too much for him to bear. Seeing the usually cheerful looking Baekhyun look so glum made Sehun want to wipe that sorrowful expression off of his face and replace it with a bright, happy smile.

Curse you, Park Chanyeol. This was why he had been so vehement against Baekhyun getting involved with Chanyeol from the very start.  

“Have you really fallen for him?”

Sehun was greeted by silence as Baekhyun stared blankly at his toes. Baekhyun did not know the answer to that question. He wanted to shake his head and reply with a ‘no’, but what was this awful ache that he was feeling in his chest?

“You’re a big fat idiot,” Sehun laughed mirthlessly. “What am I going to do with you?”

Suddenly, his grim expression lit up and he reached out to grab Baekhyun’s wrist. “Shall we go say our goodbyes?”

Baekhyun allowed himself to be dragged across the large room by Sehun, too emotionally drained to resist. They stopped in front of Chanyeol and Irene, who had just finished their dance and was ready to move towards the refreshments table.

“Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol seemed surprised to see Baekhyun standing in front of him, as if he had just remembered that he had invited Baekhyun to the party. His brows immediately furrowed when he noticed how Sehun was holding on to Baekhyun’s wrist. Sehun shot him a smug, knowing smile which only served to aggravate him further.

“Baek and I will be leaving now. We’d like to thank you for the wonderful hospitality. Please extend our warmest wishes to your mother.”

“What? Why are you leaving so soon? At least stay for the cake cutting ceremony! I’ll drive you home later on.” Chanyeol completely ignored Sehun and shifted such that he was only addressing Baekhyun. Baekhyun fidgeted nervously and quickly avoided his stare. He did not feel ready to face Chanyeol right now. Not when his thoughts were in a terrible mess and his heart hurt to see Chanyeol and Irene standing together.

“That won’t be necessary. I am completely capable of taking Baek home. I wouldn’t want to bother you with Baek’s affairs. After all, you seem to be pretty preoccupied right now.”

Sehun’s snarky tone and attitude irked Chanyeol. Just w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter