Giving and Receiving

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A relationship with Park Chanyeol is easy, comfortable, and full of surprises. Chanyeol is a sweet and attentive lover, often taking Baekhyun out on lavish and elaborate dates. The previous week, he surprised Baekhyun with a weekend getaway to a private island that his family owns, and this week, he picked Baekhyun up after work to admire Seoul’s night view on a chartered helicopter. Baekhyun never goes home after a date empty-handed as well—Chanyeol displays his affection by showering Baekhyun with gifts, ranging from luxury watches to branded apparel.

 

“I just want to make you happy,” is what Chanyeol tells Baekhyun all the time, his heart blossoming with a warm joy whenever he sees a satisfied smile on his lover’s face after a good meal at an expensive restaurant, or the unmistakable twinkle in Baekhyun’s eyes whenever Chanyeol presents him with his little tokens of affection.

 

And oh, Baekhyun is more than happy—Baekhyun feels like he’s on Cloud 9 whenever he gets to spend time with Chanyeol. Baekhyun appreciates the effort that Chanyeol puts into their relationship, and he is acutely aware of how much Chanyeol spoils him. Not that he is complaining, of course, but it does make him feel bad that he seems to be the one who is constantly taking in the relationship without giving anything in return.

 

“Don’t spoil me too much,” Baekhyun always says with a small, apologetic smile when Chanyeol springs yet another gift on him. “I don’t like how you’re always surprising me with presents and expensive dinner dates while I’m unable to reciprocate. It makes me feel bad.”

 

Chanyeol often dismisses Baekhyun’s protests with a gentle peck on the lips. He is more than happy to spend on elaborate gifts and dates if it means that Baekhyun is satisfied.

 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, shows his affection through home-cooked dinners every Friday, back-massages, and private violin recitals just for Chanyeol. Baekhyun takes note of the things that Chanyeol likes whenever they go shopping, waiting for the one day that he can comfortably purchase them for his boyfriend without having to break the bank.

 

--

However, when Chanyeol announced that he would be taking over Baekhyun’s monthly apartment rental payments, Baekhyun finally snapped in a mixture of pent-up frustration and guilt.

 

“Just because I let you spoil me doesn’t mean I’m some fragile flower that needs protecting, Chanyeol. I am a grown man and I can do things for myself. You don’t have to provide for me, you know? I am more than capable of standing on my own two feet and earning my own keep.”

 

Chanyeol blinked, surprised by Baekhyun’s sudden outburst. He stepped towards Baekhyun unsurely, his tall frame towering over a red-faced Baekhyun. Baekhyun avoided Chanyeol’s gaze, choosing to stare defiantly at his shoelaces instead. “This is hurting my pride,” Baekhyun muttered sullenly under his breath.

 

“I know, I know,” Chanyeol replied gently, placing his arms on Baekhyun’s shoulders. “I respect that you are your own person, and that is the only reason why I haven’t asked you to quit your job and move in with me. Honestly speaking, I am more than willing and capable of providing for you. I can give you anything and everything you want if you just ask for it. I only want the best for you, Baekhyun.”

 

“I know you have kind intentions, but a life of luxury is not really what I’m looking for right now,” Baekhyun sighed softly, looking at the ground as if thinking of something distant. “I love you, you silly dork, but I feel so guilty because you give and give, and yet I have nothing for you in return. I want us to be equals in this relationship, Chanyeol. I don’t want you to see me as weak and incapable of taking care of myself, because I am pretty darn independent. I can fend for myself just fine, but I let you spoil me because I love you, and I know it makes you happy to do so.”

 

Baekhyun looked up and stared at Chanyeol intensely. “I won’t deny it, I love it when you shower me with attention and take me out on lavish dates, but all of this is making me feel a kind of guilt that I never thought I’d have to feel. I want to give you presents in return when you buy me things, I want to take you out on dinner dates at five-star restaurants, but it is so frustrating that I am unable to. I want you to treat me as an equal, because I am.”

 

Chanyeol looked genuinely surprised by Baekhyun’s long speech, his eyes shining with a strange, unreadable expression. “You are an equal, Baekhyun. I’m sorry if my actions have ever made you feel otherwise. I never knew that you have been feeling and thinking this way all along. What can I do to make you feel better?”

 

Baekhyun’s sullen expression slowly morphed into a thoughtful, excited smile. “I want to be the one giving this time round,” Baekhyun said firmly. “Let me spoil you in return for the upcoming week. I will plan all our dates, so you can take a backseat and just enjoy yourself. A word of warning though, I don’t have the money to take you out to expensive restaurants or exotic locations, but I promise that I’ll make it every bit as enjoyable.”

 

Chanyeol took one look at Baekhyun’s determined face and knew that there was no room for any argument. He chuckled softly and brushed his thumb across Baekhyun’s right cheek.

 

“That sounds good, I’m really looking forward to it.”

 

--

“What are you doing?”

 

“I’m finalizing our itinerary for the coming week,” Baekhyun hummed casually, his brows furrowed in concentration at the notebook in front of him. 

 

Chanyeol bounded over towards Baekhyun excitedly, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. “Let me see.”

 

Baekhyun immediately hugged the notebook tightly to his chest and sprang up from the sofa. “Hey, no peeking! It’s meant to be a surprise.”

 

“Okay then,” Chanyeol sighed loudly, faking a disappointed pout. Baekhyun had been busy ignoring him from the moment Chanyeol stepped foot in his apartment, choosing instead to occupy himself by scribbling in the small notebook of his. Chanyeol would have died of boredom if it wasn’t so interesting to watch Baekhyun work, with his messily towel-dried hair and that intense look of concentration that made him look unbelievably y. Chanyeol wondered if Baekhyun realized that the littlest things about him drove Chanyeol crazy with desire.

 

Baekhyun was too much, really. Chanyeol knew that his heart was hopelessly and irreversibly ensnared by the shorter male. He was so in love, but sometimes his insecurities would creep up on him late at night and whisper heartbreaking lullabies in his ears.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t love you. He’s just a very good liar and actor. Baekhyun doesn’t love you. Don’t believe him when he says he loves you. Baekhyun loves your money, not you. Baekhyun will never truly love you.

 

But their relationship had been absolutely smooth-sailing thus far, and Baekhyun had never asked Chanyeol for a single cent, except for Chanyeol’s gifts which he willingly accepts. Nothing about Baekhyun’s behavior screamed ‘gold digger’, which only served to confuse Chanyeol even more. In fact, Baekhyun seemed to be as in love and as invested in their relationship as he was. What should he believe about Baekhyun? As much as he would like to believe that Baekhyun had pure intentions, his insecurities flooded him with so much self-doubt, to the point that all Chanyeol worried about was how he was going to top his previous gift for Baekhyun.

 

You need to keep him happy and satisfied. You need to give him more. Only then will he stay by your side. Only then will he love you.  

 

Keeping Baekhyun happy had become his new mantra.

 

“I’m going to pick you up at 7pm tomorrow after work. Please be ready by then. Dress in comfortable clothes,” Baekhyun announced cheerily, breaking Chanyeol out of his self-induced reverie.

 

Chanyeol’s brows shot up immediately, intrigue written all over his face. “Pick me up? Where? At my house?”

 

The idea of Baekhyun picking Chanyeol up for a date was a completely foreign concept. Chanyeol had always taken it upon himself to drive Baekhyun around in his snazzy sportscars. Now that Baekhyun was the one planning their dates, Chanyeol felt startlingly out of place. He simply didn’t know what to expect.

 

Baekhyun nodded, a smirk tugging at his lips. A confused Chanyeol was amusing to watch.

 

“Don’t you think it’s a better idea if I picked you up at your workplace instead? Why go out of the way to pick me up?” Chanyeol frowned lightly. “What are you planning to pick me up in, anyway? If you’re thinking of a cab then I would like to veto the idea. Don’t waste your money on cab rides when I am available to drive the two of us around for free.” Especially when the both of us know that cab rides are a luxury expenditure for you, Chanyeol commented in his head.

 

“A cab?” Baekhyun laughed. “I’m not picking you up in a cab. It’s something way better. Much more interesting. You’ll see tomorrow.”

 

“Okay then. Now I’m really looking forward to our date. Surprise me.”

 

“I will.”

 

--

“What on earth, Baekhyun?”

 

Chanyeol did not know whether to laugh or cry when Baekhyun appeared at his doorstep riding a tandem bicycle. However, surprise was definitely the dominant emotion coursing through his veins.

 

“Stop gawking and hop on!” Baekhyun beckoned with a huge grin. Baekhyun was panting lightly, his cheeks flushed and forehead sweaty. “I didn’t expect it to be this tiring to ride a tandem bicycle on my own. I rode it all the way from the rental shop and let me tell you, I totally got judged on the way here.”

 

Chanyeol dissolved into a violent laughing fit, collapsing to the ground and slapping his thighs in an exaggerated manner, just like he always does when he finds something extremely funny.

 

“I don’t know what to say, Baekhyun. This is a very interesting choice of transportation.”

 

“Well I’m sorry, Mr. Rich Kid, I can’t afford to pick you up in a Mercedes or Bentley. You’ll just have to make do with what peasants use to get from place to place,” Baekhyun retorted in a light, teasing tone. “The plan tonight is that we are going to cycle by the Hangang River. Low-cost and romantic.”

 

“Hmm, I like the sound of that.”

 

“You better, because we are going budget dating for the rest of the week. Maximum entertainment at minimum cost.” Baekhyun beamed, looking immensely proud of himself.

 

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun, feeling a warmth blossom in his chest. “I’m really looking forward to it,” he replied.

 

--

Baekhyun definitely delivered his promise of maximum entertainment at minimum cost. Day 1 was cycling by the Hangang River, Day 2 brought them to the free art gallery downtown, and Day 3 was volunteering at the animal shelter. Baekhyun had been initially afraid that Chanyeol would hate the idea of handling animals at the shelter, but his worries were immediately put to rest when Chanyeol let out a shout of glee upon spotting the puppy at the entrance. As it turns out, Chanyeol loved animals, and although he was clumsy and inexperienced at his assigned tasks, Chanyeol gave his 100%. At the end of the day, his designer clothes were soiled and his Nike shoes completely ruined, but the smile on his face remained bright as ever.

 

“This is the best date idea ever!”

 

“I’m glad you enjoyed cleaning up after the animals,” Baekhyun laughed, handing Chanyeol a small towel. “I thought someone as pampered as you would definitely run away from the idea of having to volunteer at an animal shelter. I must say, I’m really impressed by your performance today, Park.”

 

“Are you kidding me? I love animals!” Chanyeol exclaimed. “When I was a kid I used to have a pet ferret. But he ran away and I cried for days.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled at the forlorn expression on Chanyeol’s face. “A ferret? I didn’t know that you could keep ferrets as pets.”

 

“What? Ferrets make amazing pets!” Chanyeol immediately launched into a detailed lecture on ferrets, much to the amusement of Baekhyun. Baekhyun adored the childlike glee and excitement that radiated off Chanyeol. Under the setting sun, Chanyeol looked absolutely breathtaking, the liquid gold of the sun bringing out the lovely red hues in his hair and framing his face in an ethereal manner.

 

“You’re beautiful,” Baekhyun blurted out without thinking, interrupting Chanyeol mid-sentence.

 

“What?” Chanyeol blinked unsurely, having been caught off guard.

 

“I said,” Baekhyun tip-toed such that his lips were right beside Chanyeol’s ear. “You’re so beautiful.” Without giving Chanyeol any time to react, Baekhyun pressed his lips lightly against Chanyeol’s right cheek.

 

The place where Baekhyun’s lips met Chanyeol’s skin turned searingly hot, and Chanyeol felt his legs turning soft at the unexpected gesture of affection. “You little tease,” Chanyeol growled, running after a chuckling Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol was in so deep. So, so deep.

 

--

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter