004

Tomorrow (old ver.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Who hired this idiot anyway?!” Mr. Kwon, Haerin’s boss exclaims as he points angrily at her new assistant, Hyemin who has her head down, tearing up after getting a scolding from the old man, “That was one scene you had to insert in the goddamn script! What part of copying the document you didn’t understand? Now we’re getting calls from the agencies saying they didn’t have a kissing scene in their scripts!” The old man throws the script on his desk, making a loud thump that annoyed Haerin’s ears so much.

 

“Mr. Kwon, I think she gets it. She made a mistake,” Haerin speaks for the younger lady, “I’m sure Hyemin won’t do it again. She has learned from this mistake, haven’t you Hyemin?” She asks, looking at her crying assistant next to her.

 

“Of course you’re letting this slide. This is typical nice Director Kim. This isn’t her first, Ms. Kim! She should be fired now!” The old man yells.

 

“I know, Sir. But as my assistant have told you, she got the note from your secretary the night Hyemin e-mailed the script. She said she tried to call their agents about the change but she was ignored. She showed you her sent e-mails as evidence,” Haerin says as the old man shoots her a glare.

 

“So we’re now passing the blame on my secretary?”

 

“No, sir. I’m just saying the lapse wasn’t just on my assistant she doesn’t deserve to lose her job for other people’s mistake, too,” She responds.

 

The angry old man gives the young lady a glare and then looks at Haerin, “I want her fired.”

 

“If you fire her, I think it’s fair your assistant comes along, too,” Haerin says confidently, “You asked your gorgeous secretary to submit the edit by morning, my assistant got it from her right when she gave the script. If we’re firing people who made a mistake and caused this incident, everyone goes,” Haerin knows very well Mr. Kwon wouldn’t fire his secretary because she knows the affair they’re having. It’s exactly why the almost-brainless assistant is still in the office despite being miserable at her job.

 

Mr. Kwon lets out a breath and intently looks at the confident Director and her crying assistant. In one look Haerin knows the man will cave, “Fine,” He says as he darts his eyes at Hyemin, “But this is your last chance,”

 

Their boss dismisses the meeting but lets Haerin stay for a separate meeting. The old man has pretty much cooled his head down, considering that Haerin had put on a good fight for her assistant. Mr. Kwon takes a bottle of cider and offers Haerin one, which the young director gladly takes. He opens one for himself and then eyes at her.

 

“You know, if you keep fighting for your subordinates like the way you did, I don’t think they’ll ever respect me,” He jokes as Haerin chuckles.

 

“Sorry, Mr. Kwon, they’re part of my team, I can’t lose them,” Haerin responds.

 

“Good, because I have good news for you. I tried to talk to the board about the placement,” He says as Haerin furrows her brows upon hearing him. Her heart starts to race as her head prickles, “They want you to take on the upcoming drama instead of the movie,”

 

“What?” Haerin almost chokes on her drink, “Are you serious, Mr. Kwon?”

 

“Of course I am!” The old man exclaims enthusiastically as they both stand up to shake hands, “I’m so proud of you. You’re one of the best here and I’m really glad the board thinks the same. This is a really good opportunity for you. I heard the writers are already throwing in your names for potential directors in a new movie they’re having this year,” He adds as Haerin’s face falls upon realizing that taking this offer will mean more time for work and less time for her own life.

 

She sighs and looks at the old man apologetically, “I’m sorry, but I don’t think now’s a good time for me to take this offer. Filming the movie is already eating my life away and I don’t think it’s fair for me or my husband,” She adds.

 

“Director Kim, you were handpicked. It’s an offer you can’t reject. It’ll disappoint them. These writers are huge, do you really want to this pass this opportunity?”

 

Now, Haerin’s just torn and dejected. It really sounded like a good offer and she’d be more exposed in her field and be known for directing dramas too, other than films. But the thing is, she already thinks she has less time in her hands which isn’t fair to her husband that waits up for her, sleeps alone at night and most days doesn’t even see her.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. But I really can’t,”

 

“Well, what if I say the company already agreed? We already gave out our word,” He says as Haerin looks at her boss with wide eyes, “I’m sorry Director Kim, but it was a good offer we couldn’t reject. You’re expected to start in two months,”

 

“What?” She gasps, “I have a life, sir and not to mention a husband whom I need to talk to before taking offers like this. I understand it’s a good offer and many would kill to have this but I already have less time for myself,”

 

“Look. You start in two months, your current filming ends in three weeks. I’ll give you a vacation before you film the drama, how about that?”

 

“We talked about the half a year break. You granted me that. My husband and I already made plans,” Haerin says as she plops down her chair with a problematic face. Mr. Kwon apologetically looks at her. She can’t help but think just how disappointed and angry her husband would be if he finds out.

 

“Many would die for your place right now. If you look at it this way, you’ll see just how many doors this will open for you,” Mr. Kwon says with an encouraging smile. Haerin runs her hand on her hair and sighs exasperatedly, “Talk to your husband. I’m sure he’ll understand,”

 

Exactly. That’s all Sehun has been to her all these months she’s been around less than she should be. Haerin’s just way too sorry and embarrassed to be pushing her husband aside for work and she doesn’t know just how long Sehun will let it slide. She goes home with a dejected face, still haven’t figured out how to tell her husband she’s now part of a deal she didn’t even had a choice in and that their plans for her six-month break is now basically down the drain. She would enjoy getting the offer since it means she’s doing really good in her field but then again, the thought of her having lots of time for work which means lesser time for her husband just leaves a hole in her heart.

 

Haerin enters the house and meets her husband and Vivi sitting on the couch as Sehun continues to read on the files in his hands. She walks to him and silently sinks down on the space next to him. Haerin leans her head on his shoulders and wrap her arms around his arm. Somehow, Sehun is tensed and awfully quiet, not quite the mood Haerin usually catches home.

 

“I thought you’d be home by five o’clock?” Sehun asks a little too coldly.

 

“Sorry, my boss wanted to talk to me for a while,” She says softly.

 

“You were supposed to take Vivi to the vet today, did you forget?” He asks quietly, looking at the papers. Haerin curses herself in her head and mentally punches herself in the face for not making it.

 

“I’m sorry. I was going to but we had a little trouble in the office,” She says apologetically as Sehun stands up without even looking at her, “Sehun,” She calls.

 

“I got a text from Vivi’s vet that Vivi wasn’t around for the appointment and now we’ve been rescheduled to Saturday and we both know none of us are around to take care of it,” He says as he picks up Vivi and looks at Haerin.

 

“Well what do you want me to do, tell my boss I can’t go on with the meeting because I have to take my dog to his vet appointment?” Haerin asks sarcastically making Sehun shoot her a look.

 

“A text would have been nice, Hae. You could’ve told me you’re too busy to even bring our dog to his stupid vet,” He responds as she glares at him, “You know what, next time don’t offer doing something you can’t do anyway,”

 

“That’s not fair. I’m trying, okay?” Haerin says.

 

“Well so am I!” Sehun exclaims way too loudly it almost made her jump off of her spot. He looks at her and Haerin has never seen his eyes so angry and sad, “I am trying so hard to understand you all the time. We’ve been married for ten months but I feel like we don’t even live in the same house anymore! You’re not around for breakfast, you can’t make it to dinner, not even for bed and now you can’t even take the dog to the goddamn vet?”

 

She gapes at him, not believing this is coming out of her husband’s mouth. Haerin doesn’t expect him to understand all the time but what angers her is the fact that he’s right. She shouldn’t be volunteering to do things because she’s always away anyway. She’ll only end up disappointing him like this and if she chooses to stay in her career, she’s going to have to try not to give him so many disappointments, starting by not owing some responsibilities she can’t be around for.

 

“I’m sorry, okay. I really am. I really wish I could have taken Vivi to his vet appointment just as much as I wish I were around for dinner all the time or sleep next to you all the goddamn time,” Haerin says so apologetically furious her voice starts to quiver as she sees the disappointed look on her husband’s face. There’s nothing worse than seeing her husband and seeing she had failed him as a wife, “God forbids I wish I was around to be a normal wife you can come home to and not the wife you keep waiting up so late for, I really am,” She looks at him and loses count on the nights she arrived home so late she haven’t even caught him awake, mornings she had to leave before the sun rises, dinners he cooked that she didn’t get to enjoy and nights she didn’t even get to see him.

 

Sehun realizes how his words have attacked his wife emotionally. His face immediately softens as his mouth falls the moment Haerin covers her face to hide her tears. He couldn’t let out a word to comfort her, knowing he had caused the waterworks in her eyes. She excuses herself and walks upstairs. Sehun couldn’t even bring himself to stop her the moment she passed by him. He hears the door slam close as he settles Vivi down on the floor, feeling a hole in her heart.

 

He sighs, rubbing his temples and eyes at the white pup looking up at him as if rubbing on his face that he made a mistake. Sehun sighs, “Don’t look at me like that. I know it was my fault,” He tells Vivi.

 

Sehun follows his wife upstairs. He opens the door and sees his wife returning some clothes from her duffle bag, that she takes with her when she’s going away to shoot a movie, to her closet again. He hears her sniffle as she continues to pile up her clothes inside. Sehun’s heart immediately breaks seeing his wife like this. He starts to mentally murder himself, asking why he had to be such an about his issues about her being away all the time when he knows that his wife is just doing her job just like him.

 

“Hey,” He calls softly as he stands next to her but Haerin doesn’t lay her eyes on him, she just continues what she’s doing. Sehun stops her hand mid-air, from putting the shirt in the closet and takes the piece of clothing from her hands. He gently pulls her into a hug, embracing his wife tightly, but he doesn’t feel her arms around his waist, instead he feels liquid on his chest, her tears seeping through his shirt.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter