008

the Huntress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: formating this has been hell

008

“You really think the human will know anything?” Kai asks as we walk into the lobby of Sirdonna Plastics Incorporated.

“I think he’ll know something. It’s his wife and daughter,” I say striding up the front desk. Reaching into my back pocket I pulled out something that I loathed use. “My name is Scarlett Lee, I work for the HDA. I’m here to speak to Hunter Sirdonna.”

“You have a badge?” Kai asks, his interest-piquing.

“I work for the government, Kai, yes I have a badge.” I roll my eyes.

The woman at the front desk raises an eyebrow at me. “Hunter Sirdonna, the CEO of this company? I don’t suppose you have an appointment?” She asks, her bored flat voice grating on my nerves.

“Yeah, actually, I do, just give me a second,” I put my badge down on the counters, then pull out my gun and slam it on the marble. The woman jumps in surprise, her eyes shifted immediately to the weapon. “There it is, how could you let me through security?”

“Of course,” her voice grew quiet as she pressed a button on her desk that pushed the electronic gate open. “Twelfth floor. Have a wonderful rest of your day.”

“Thanks,” I say with a smile as I shove my gun and badge back into my back pocket.

“That was hot,” Kai whispers loudly.

“I will not hesitate to exorcise your , don’t piss me off,” I growl. He raises his hands in mock defeat, but it doesn’t wipe the wicked glint in his eyes as we walk through the gate.

“Do I get a badge?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re a demon. Because you don’t work for the government. Because who in their right mind would give you a badge. Take your pick.”

“You wound me, Red,” Kai coos, pressing the elevator button. “You really do.”

“I’m going to wound you with more than just my words if you keep calling me Red,” I threaten.

Kai turns to me in the elevator as if I’ve just said something promiscuous, a crooked smile slanting the corner of his lips up. “Promise?”

I want to facepalm again.

The elevator dings quite loudly as it slides to a stop on the twelfth floor. The doors slide open to display yet another desk with yet another irritable looking woman.

“We’re here to speak to Hunter Sirdonna, I’m from the HDA,” I say, flashing the damn badge again. The woman stands up, dropping her nail file, her grimace of a smile fading.

“You can’t just do that, Mr. Sirdonna does not see-” She starts.

“Please don’t make me take my gun back out,” I say, closing my eyes and praying for patience. She doesn’t say anything as we walk past her towards the only other set of doors. I try the handle. They’re locked.

“Do you have the key?” I ask, turning back to the woman.

She shakes her head. “I can’t remember the last time he’s come out of there.”

I turn to Kai. “You know how to pick locks?”

“Yeah, sure,” he says, nudging me aside. He lifts one of his legs and slams his heavy boot into the dark wood. The door creaks once, before falling backward off its hinges. “After you, Red.”

“Well , I could have done that too.” I snort, stepping past him. “I was trying to save Susie some paperwork. Jesus Christ-” I’m thrown back by the stench the second I step into the room. Raising my arm to cover my face, I glance around the dark room.

“Not quite,” Kai wrinkles his nose distastefully. “But quite close.” He flicks one of the lights on.

And there lies Hunter Sirdonna, impaled grandly on his wall by what appeared to one of the legs of his desk through the center of his torso.

“Damn,” I mutter, glancing around the room again. The blinds were drawn tightly, and his entire office was a mess. But not the mess that I expected. Other than the disfigured table, nothing was out of place. But everything was covered in a layer of filth. Wrappers of half-eaten snacks, trays of instant meals, cans of beer.

“He was living here,” I turn to see Kai prod a pile of laundry on the couch with a pencil. “Maybe that had something to do with the ty party.”

“Oh my god, Mr, Sirdonna!” We both turn at the shriek from the secretary who has found her way inside the room. She gags.

“Oh please, don’t do that here,” Kai reaches for a trash, handing it to her just in time to catch the vomit. He turns to me, pleadingly as the woman grabs his arm for support as she hacks up her lunch. I have half a mind to smile at his displeasure, but I rule against it and pull out my phone instead.

“We have human death, we have to work with the police now,” I say, dialing a number that I had on speed dial.

If it wasn’t already, Kai’s eyes narrow with contempt. “Must we?”

“Don’t worry, my contact with the North Precinct is a sweetheart, you’ll love her.”

 

“Unnie, why don’t you ever call me for normal things? Like drinks?” My younger sister Bella strode through the doors with a whole slew of police officers. She walks up to me and wraps me in a quick hug. Her men are momentarily distracted by Kai, but a quick look from Bella gets them moving again.

“Sister?” Kai asks from where he is examining the body. He prods it with his pencil.

“Who the is that?” Bella asks, pulling away, immediately ruffled at the idea of Kai touching the body. “Would you back the off my evidence?”

Kai drops his pencil. “I can see the resemblance.” He looks between us. “It’s the work of a supernatural. Strong enough to lift a man of Hunter Sirdonna’s weight. Fae becau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter