006

the Huntress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Dedicated to: mysteriouslylovely for your upvote

as well as to any readers who even remember what this fic is about, it's been so long TT.TT

CHAPTER 006

The girl’s name was Amy Sirdonna. She was delicately beautiful and undeniably pleased to be seen on her Sweet Sixteen on the arm of a such a handsome man. The male fae was a different type of beautiful. A perfect face disrupted only by the half-smile that was plastered on his face as if he couldn’t convince the other corner of his mouth to move. He was bored, the look in his eyes told me how tedious he found the task, but he kept his lips sealed and back straight as Amy paraded her lovely date around the room.

I step closer to where they stand, meaning to get a closer look when every single person within a five-meter radius turns and stares at me. No, not me. Kai. I feel his warmth as he moves to slouch beside me. Women swallow as his amber eyes scan the room quickly, flitting over every detail quickly. Kai is just as beautiful as the faerie across the room, his unworldly features appealed to almost everybody in the room, regardless of ual orientation.

Sirens go off in my head. Any more eyes on us and we would attract the attention of the birthday girl and her date. Spinning on the heel of my boots, I slide a hand up the sleeve of his black dress shirt and curl my fingers over his broad shoulder. He moves in response to me without question, placing a polite hand on the small of my back and tips his head down so that my lips can reach his ears.

“Can you please keep your pheromones to yourself?” I mutter, turning gaze over his shoulder, almost pressing myself to his front. “You are attracting attention. All of it.”

Kai smiles demurely as if I’ve said something dirty and turns his head, feigning a light kiss on my temple.

“Anything for you.” His voice is teasing, but his eyes hold mine with an intensity that has all the women sighing in disappointment and turning away. This man had openly announced his affiliations to me.

“Two minutes in and your demon status is already ing with things,” I tell him, pulling away slightly. I circle a hand around his arm and lead him to the refreshment table. Our steps are quick, matching each other with an ease that scares me.

“I did not ask to be this attractive.” Kai grins as we reach the table. He picks up a single flute of bubbly pink champagne and offers it to me but I shake my head.

“I don’t drink,” I tell him, reaching for a cup of cheap looking fruit punch and set it down once I smell the tequila.

“Your work ethic is admirable, Scarlett,” Kai tells me, shooting me a playful look as he takes a small sip of the liquid. His brows furrow as he sets the pretty drink back down and reaches for my discarded fruit juice cup. He tries the punch and his face darkens.

“What?” I ask, reaching heavily frosted cupcake. “Food from the human domain not to your taste?”

Kai shakes his head, momentarily distracted. “This isn’t human food. It’s fae. And I happen to love Taco Bell.” My stomach drops with his words and I whip my gaze back to the crowd. Food from the fae realm rivaled the effect methamphetamine had on humans. It produced a sky high and devastating crash. Highly addictive, highly illegal, and mostly used by faeries back in the day to lure victims into Hell.

But it was more than that. Meth was a drug that causes panic, jitters, Fae food was caused ual tendencies in humans to rise, it caused their pain receptors to become virtually unable to acknowledge pain. And without pain, the human world becomes far more dangerous.

“Impossible.” I watch as woman drowns several flutes of the champagne and promptly passes out on a silver folding chair. Around her, several partygoers slumped back in their chairs, heads lolling back enjoying the high. “How could the HDA not notice something this massive happening? How did one fae smuggle all this food? How did Lissa not sense this?”

Kai, despite all his alleged godly powers and good looks, seemed just as surprised as me.

“I can’t imagine how-”

My eyes flickered around the room. Scanning the people who have consumed the food, then to where the Amy and her fae date had stopped to stand in the exact middle of the room. Kai turned his gaze to them, moving closer to me and gently nudged us towards a shadowy alcove. I move with him, pressing as far away from the light as possible everyone in the room turns to watch the birthday girl deliver her speech.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter