Friendly

Reading your lips

She started to sing, her voice trembling and cracking, making everyone chuckle. She smiled seeing that and yet concentrated on the lyrics. Her voice starting to get warmer and used to the exercise, her singing was much better. Yong Guk stared at her, he didn't expect such a good voice.

 

She chose Taeyeon « I », a difficult song to sing yet her voice suited the song so well. She didn't look at her class mates only staring at the lyrics on the board. Holding the last high note without cracking, she was the best singer of tonight. She finished the song as beautifully as Taeyeon would have.

 

Everyone was amazed by her voice, and had to take back their spirits before clapping for her.

 

« Your voice is so beautiful !!!! »

« Really ? Yah, my voice cracked a lot. » She said, humble. They praised her a lot, enjoying how Eunji was getting redder at every compliment. Once she was really red, they stopped themselves.

"Hey she's all red let her sink in the fact that she became our official best  singer."

 

She went to sit next to YongGuk and he gave her a funny look. She was lowering her head, with her growing bang, it was impossible to spot her eyes, neither her ears. YongGuk noticed for the first time her way to put some distance between her and the other people.

 

« You. You hided this voice . » He had the braveness to lift a part of her bang to see one of her eyes.

She quickly removed his hand, letting out a nervous laugh. « It'd been so long that I sang. »

 

« Really ? »

 

She nodded. Once everything was over, Yong Guk brought her back to her home.

 

« You were hilarious singing Let It go. So unlike your tough image. » She said, still in awe of his performance.

 

« Well. Thanks !! I was so surprised by your voice !! You could be a professional singer !! »

 

« Ha ha I did get trained for that when I was younger. » She revealed.

 

« Really ? »

 

« Mom is a threater actress. So obviously ... »

 

He nodded. Suddenly getting that becoming hard of hearing came as a tragedy for Eunji and her mom.

 

« Were you sad when you stopped to train ? »

 

She shook her head vigourously. « Mom wanted me to continue. She said that tons of deaf are in the industry. I couldn't hear a damn thing, I was so relieved when Dad told her that those lessons will be over. I wasn't really fond of music you see. » She revealed this with a calm tone.

 

YongGuk nodded and they waited for the bus together. Eunji looked around at every noise that she was hearing.

 

« It's actually nosy in the city. More than I thought. »

 

« It's so nosy. »

 

She laughed. « When I don't wear my device, I don't get that noise. I can basically concentrate everywhere. »

 

« Lucky you. » He said gently. She looked at him smile and she sensed no irony at all in his sentence so she smiled back. Her bus arrived and she was ready to hop on and say goodbye, before YongGuk stood up in line too.

 

« We don't take the same bus. » She stated.

 

« I will just walk you home. It's late, it's not sure in the streets. »

 

Eunji rolled her eyes. « Kay. »

 

They sat together and YongGuk sensed that she was grumpier than earlier. « Are you not happy that I walk you home ? »

 

She widened her eyes. « Oh I didn't want to be rude but I actually despite the fact that women in 2016 still can't walk home at night without fearing being assaulted or worse. It's just my feminist side. Not against you. »

 

« True. That's a real problem. But I'll feel guilty to let you go home alone at this hour. »

 

Eunji smiled. « I guess I should thank you, my dark knight protector. »

 

He laughed. « You're welcome. »

 

They hop off the bus at her stop and Eunji suddenly heard a familiar song. Earned It. The Weeknd. She widened her eyes, before seeing YongGuk answering his phone with red cheeks.  He looked at her smirk and had to turn away to concentrate on his call. They walked calmly cside to side until her house.

"Hello, Gukkie."

 « Oh Hyung you're home. »

"Where are you ?"

"Do you miss me that much ?" When they were little, they were basically 'the twins' or ' the pair' with different personnalities but always together. Talking a secret langague between themselves, getting on the nerves of their older sister. They grew up  having different hobbies and friends, yet their time together was precious. They always had time for each others on  those seventeen years together. But Yongjoon being in a boarding school, having a clingy girlfriend made difficult to have those "twins" moments.

He heard his brother laugh, making him to laugh as well.

"Yep. I'm bored. Come home soon. Bring back watermelon it's hot." Yongjoon said, making YongGuk laugh. He stopped the call and looked at Eunji humming his ringtone.

"Stop judging my ringtone." He said, narrowing his eyes.

 

She smiled and nodded. « Ithought that he couldn't get out easily. »

 

YongGuk widened his eyes. Why does she listen to everything carefully ? He shrugged. « Normally, but my brother have his ways. »

 

« Oh. Then you should go, he surely wants to see you. Thanks again for sending me home. See you !!! »

 

 

*

 

« So, exams on the first chapter next week. »

 

Eunji widened her eyes. She wasn't here. She didn't ask the notes to somebody. She was in trouble really. She quickly looked back at the first page she wrote and it was the third chapter. Gosh.

 

Yong Guk looked at Eunji. She still had her device on yet looked worried and overwhelmed by her notes.

 

« Is something wrong ? » He asked to her on the break.

 

« I wasn't there for the first chapter. »

 

He widened his eyes. He got so used to her presence that he forgot she arrived two month after everyone.« Don't worry. I'll lend you the chapter. »

 

She shook her head. « You have to study. I don't want to make you late in your revisions. »

 

« Let's study together then. Let's print everything and then if you have a question, I'll be here. »

 

She clapped in her hands « You're saving me. Can we do that at my house ? I may have some notes linked to the subject. »

He nodded and looked at her relax. He realized afterwards that she really appreciates his kindness.

 

*

 

She opened the door for him and he found a rather normal house. She got rid of her device and suddenly looked at him.

 

« Sorry. »

 

She put it back and Yong Guk felt awkward. « Hmm if you're tired of wearing it, i mean we can do that another day »

 

« NO ! I'm fine. It 's just habits. » Eunji tried to reassure him. He nodded making her sigh out of relief.

 

They entered the living room and he found a lots of CDs, a piano and a lot of foods books. A clean place. Soon, they started to study. Eunji had used her lunch break to print his notes and was now reading them. She was reading silently while nodding while YongGuk was doing sums up.

 

« You really have a pretty handwriting. That's really nice. » She stated, out of the blue.

 

« Thanks I guess. » He said embarrassed as always with compliments. She smiled and kept going with her task before sighing loudly in the living room.

 

« Let's take a break. Do you want juice ? »

 

He nodded and soon she left for the kitchen. He looked around her house really curious of the piano decorating the room. Also a thing that his brother can do better than him. He sighed. He had to stop the comparisons. Soon someone entered.

 

A man with his coat raised his eyebrow and he smiled to yong guk, this might be her father. They looked at each others awkwardly. Yong Guk stood up and bowed to him.

 

« Oh, okay, hmm, a friend of Eunji ? » The dad said, adding signs language to his talk. Yong Guk blushed but nodded.

 

Eunji came back and greeted her dad. « We've never met before. A friend of Daehyun ? »

 

Eunji considered Yong Guk all red but not daring to correct his father. She laughed. « He can hear you very well. He's not talkative but he can talk too. »

 

« A friend of your current school ? » Eunji nodded and her father smiled brightly. "Oh god finally I was losing hope !!"

 

Eunji looked at her father eyes getting teary. « Dad. Please !!! »

 

« So, you're from her high school right ? A good friend of her ? »

 

« I'm Bang Yong Guk her seatmate. I'm just helping her to catch up the earlier year classes Sir. » YongGuk answered in a stiff manner. Eunji was amused to see that, it was like YongGuk was facing a really strict father when her dad a sheep, a teary sheep.

 

Her father nodded. « Okay, okay. Hmm stay for dinner, will you ? »

 

He had no choice but agree. They got  into Eunji room with the snacks, Eunji wanting some privacy, she shook her head.

 

« You could have say no. He won't kill you. »

 

« He looked so happy that I couldn't say no. »

YongGuk had a smile thinking about his dad. He wasn't around a lot so everyone get comfortable at home. His noona started to smoke in the house, get tatoo and hair coloration and had to hide everything when he was there. They would be more detailed with the chores and stuffs while his break and as soon as he was away, the cosy life was starting back.

He chuckled. "He looks nothink like my dad."

 

« Your dad is scary ? »

 

« He's a Commandant in the Navy. Scary and authoritarian. »

 

« Whoah, that's wow. Nothing like my dad then. Thanks Lords it's YongGuk's and not mine."

"But honestly, it's my sister that he's harsher on. She have to be the perfect woman, she doesn't have the right to have a boyfriend. And she's nineteen."

Eunji laughed. "He seems to be very .... modern. Mine is just happy  I made a friend I guess that he didn't even notice that you were a boy. »

 

« It's impossible that I'm your first friend ever. You're too kind and sociable for that » YongGuk stated, making her chuckle.

 

« All of them are deaf or mute. Mom really wanted me to get that device and be able to go into a ..... normal , can I say normal ? I don't know hmm a regular high school. »

 

« Ohh so you're bearing it for your mom »

 

She blushed. « Maybe it's a little bit more complicated. »

 

Yong Guk nodded and decided to let her go with that matter.  Suddenly he got up and got closer to her bookshelf.

 

« So that's why you were reading over my shoulder with a smile. You loves Moomins too right ? »

 

Eunji laughed. « I do. »

 

They talked a lot about the comics and books. Both of them loved to read so they had tons of things to ask each other. Yong Guk loved how Eunji smiles when she talks, or her way to talk with her hand, obviously a thing she got from signing.

 

« My dad thinks I don't have enough ambition because I want to work in a bookshop. He thinks that I'm a daydreamer, hewants me to get in the navy and start a career as soon as I graduated. »

 

Eunji smiled. YongGuk on that navy uniform would look great. Great-great. Soon, she blushed and went to open her door. Her father was awkwardly standing by with some clothes.

 

« Dad, your mom never told you that eavesdropping is not polite ? »

 

« Eunji you. I was just checking if everything was fine. Dinner is ready in fifteen minutes. »

 

She smiled and closed back the door.

« Sorry for that. I think that now he realized that you were a guy. I mean he never done that because obviously before he couldn't"

 

«YongGuk shook his head. « It's fine, it's kinda cute too. »


*

 

They sat down at the table and started to eat. Yong Guk answered to all of his questions. His father, mother, sister and brother, his grades his height, basically someone would think that her father wanted to fill some officials papers with his answers.

 

« So does Eunji made a lot of friends at school ? »

 

Eunji widened her eyes and at this moment wanted to burn her father like people burnt Jeanne d'Arc. She looked at Yong Guk nod though her bang. « Yes she does. She's a real mood lifter Sir. »

 

« Oh SO that didn't change. I'm so glad she blend well with people. » Her father said before smiling to his daughter. She made a ugly look and he nodded.

 

"Okay, stop bothering him. Let him eat your food properly."

 

Eunji went to serve herself a second time. Yong Guk got surprised. She usually doesn't eat at canteen and now she was like a gluton. He chuckled."Eunji is lucky to have  a Chief as a father ."

Her dad nodded. " Right, huh ? I spoil her with my dishes."Eunji nodded and then they had a peaceful dinner. YonGguk thanked her dad for his hospitality and good meal and soon he had to go back. « My parents would get worried. »

 

« Thanks a lot for your help. I think I'll be able to study correctly with your notes. I'll repay that to you. » She said, helping him to pack his things.

 

« See you at school. » Eunji said to him walking him until the door. She opened the doors for him and smiled to him.

« Thanks for acting like my friend today ? I'm sorry that you had to do that but …. »

 

Yong guk laughed and ruffled her hair. « We're friends okay. We're not acting. And you're really a mood lifter, at least for me. »

 

He walked out on those words, leaving her confused. She stepped back in her house.

 

« Sooo, your future boyfriend ? » Her father tried to .

 

« DAD !!!! »

 


the third chapter !!

for your information, Yongguk really had Earned it as a ringtone. Did he watch Fifty Shades ? xD

Enjoy !!