Absent

Reading your lips

One year after

 

Eunji woke up and sat on her empty bed. She doesn't remember to fall asleep, yet she did in the horrible state she was in. Her moomin plushie that YongGuk gave her years ago for her birthday was staring at her with blank eyes. Feeling moody she threw it out of the bed.She felt puffy, tired and still sad. She still had this stupid outfit on. With anger, she got rid of the dress she took time to chose.An elegant red dress, in silk fabric. She wanted to be in YongGuk color. She pushed back her brand new heels she bought for the occasion in the foruniture. Eunji removed all trace of make up she had and went to the shower. She was still angry at his father. So much.

 

She went to the university hours before classes to study. She hated wasting time and yesterday she wasted her time. She threw her books on the table and started to study. The young girl didn't care if today was Sunday, the library was always open anyways and she needed to study, some distraction.When it closed, she went out and get back to their flat. Empty as always. She sighed and soon exited the flat. She can't do this anymore. She went back to her father's house and let him comfort her the best he could. Eunji slept in her old room, feeling more at peace here that at the empty flat full of his abscence.

 

She went to class normally, eyes towards the person signing the class for her.  After her few classes, Eunji studied back to the library and soon her trnaquility was disturbed. She had a little smile seeing one of her news friend, Vivian. The girl smiled at her. She knew Vivian from before, from her deaf/HoH school and it was nice finding back each other here.

 

“So how was your week end with your boyfriend ?” The girl .

 

Eunji shrugged and went back to her manual. Vivian got annoyed and poked her arm, making Eunji raise her eyes on the girl.

 

“Ahhhh come on don't be shy. It'd been four months that you didn't see each other, I bet he dragged him to the bed right after seeing you." Vivian said

 

Eunji stayed silent.

 

“Aigoo, you didn't even reach the bed ? Oh my god, I understand better your dark circles.” Vivian signed, before laughing.

 

Eunji bite her bottom lip and suddenly bursted in tears, under Vivian surprised eyes. “Oh god what happened ?”

 

The young hard of hearing girl  signed  between her sobbs. “He wasn't allowed to see me.”

 

“WHAT ?!!” Vivian said, shsocked of her answer.

 

“Because … he didn't get permission. He got punished unfairly by his father.”

 

Vivian hugged the girl and soon she started to feel more calm.

*

She looked at her with a smile. It was friday night. YongGuk got dismiss from the military service for this weekend in Busan. She prepared everything so this week end will be amazing. A nice hotel room in Busan. She took time to buy an elegant outfit and even decided herself to wear heels for the first time. She put on make up, lipstick, had curled her hair and felt really dolly and beautiful.

She wanted to feel beautiful to see her boyfriend. YongGuk was servicing his country and she had no other choice than seeing him once in a while, depending if the navy was accosting Korea or not. She sighed, it's been four months now. She was dying of impatience to get to him.

She adored skinship and being away from him, she missed those intimate moments where she would run her fingers on his skin, his easy smiles and laughs and more than all his kisses.

 

She missed the whole afternoon, firstly 3  hours on the bus to actually get to Busan and arrived at the hotel room she reserved, she started to  pamper herself. After a last check in the mirror, she walked to the meeting location. She saw a few girls waiting there and waved shyly. They were all waiting for their boyfriend, brother, husband, something along these lines. Eunji looked at the first ones get out of the boat and hug their girlfriend.

 

It was an heartwarming view. Boys in uniforms hugging their girlfriends. YongJoon waved briefly to her before hopping in a taxi and leaving. 'It's kind of weird YongGuk wasn't with him. They are always together ...' Eunji thought, getting worried about her boyfriend, however she decided to not make a big deal out of this. 'Well, even twins must get tired of each others'

Soon, she was the only on left and YongGuk was still not there. She walked timidly to the boat.

“Hmm, are you waiting for someone young lady ? Everyone that got vacation already registered.” The man said to her. Eunji looked at him quite lost and  frowned, she explained her situation :

“Hmm, my boyfriend was supposed to get this weekend too.”

 

The person frowned. “Name ?”

 

“Bang YongGuk.” She informed , The guy widened his eyes in stupefaction. “Oh. His weekend got cancelled.”

 

Eunji smile faded. Did she just read the word 'cancelled' on that guy lips ? Considering his apologetic expression, this seemed true.“Really ? Why ? He's one of the most ethical and obedient people out there !!!”

 

“Apparently, he stole some chocolate in the Captain room.”

 

The young girl didn't get what he was saying and felt bad that she couldn't get what was happening.

 

“Oh. Captain!” The person bowed to the captain, while Eunji stayed still, staring hard at him before greeting him.

“Hey, father in law, could you explain to me why YongGuk weekend got cancelled ?”

 

“Well, he got in my office and stole chocolate.” His father explained calmly. Looking at her lost expression, he repeated herself and got finnaly a expression out of her.

 

Eunji laughed. “You know that YongGuk doesn't eat candy right ?”

 

He looked at her with a weird look.

 

“Come on. YongGuk doesn't like sweets. He like those old fashioned korean desserts !!!!”

 

The father looked at her as if she was crazy. “I buy chocolate each time I come back home for him. And red bean stuffs for YongJoon. I know my son.”

 

Eunji nodded, realizing how their father knew them so poorly and felt bad for them. They usually switched. YongJoon isn't fond of red beans. YongGuk isn't fond of chocolate. YongJoon however loves chocolate and she could really picture him sneak into his father room for it. With YongGuk's nametag. This was one of the things YongGuk said to her amused. That his brother will always switched their nametag. Sometimes, she would burst in laugh when in videocalls, she would read "YongJoon" nametag on the uniform YongGuk was wearing.

Eunji started to get the seriousness of situation. “It's unfair !! YongGuk would never do that !! He would never steal and surely not chocolate !!! It's YongJoon, I'm 100% sur-”

YongGuk father interupted her : “Stop yelling at me, I'm a captain !!”

 

Eunji scoffed, seeing him getting angry. YongGuk father looked at her now embarassed to be remembered of her delicate hearing. He took a quiet breath. Eunji smiled to him and he realized that she wasn't trying to communicate with him not anymore.

“You're a dumb person. You might be one of the best captains of the Navy but you as a father, you can't even rememer basic things about them. Now, I understand why the boys never correct you about them, it's useless. You'll stay that person that is confused about them anyways.”

 

She smiled victorious before adding : “If they can't open their mouth around you, believe me I don't ing care about your captain status.” Eunji said with a smirck. The captain frowned.

 

“Insolence towards high graded is prohibited.”

 

“I don't hear you.” Eunji said before going out.

 

She walked out of the boat with elegance. Song Jun had to admit no one talked to him like that. Not even his senior. Usually, his boys in the navy were obedient and now here she was telling him he was a bad father. He groaned and really loathed her at this precise moment.

 

Eunji stepped out of the boat and walked a little bit on the docks. She sat on a bench and realized her mistake. She should have begged to see YongGuk, apologized, kneeled.

 

But her pride kept her from doing that. She only have her eyes left to cry.

*

 

Her friend started to hug her, and Eunji stopped to cry as the girl rocked her in her arms. No words were needed here. Eunji stayed in her embrace until she felt at ease.

4 months. It's a ing long time.

It's already been 1 year that he's enrolled for his military service and he got vacation very irregulary. Sometimes; he comes to surprise her without any warning. When he has vacation, she usually still have classes, so he comes with her. They stay together every second of their allowed time together. Eunji looked at the empty seat next to hers . When he's there, he writes down the classes for her, with his neat writing.

She get emotionnal every time she opens her book, comes in class or gets back home. His absence is everywhere. On the forgotten toothbrush next to hers, his slippers that never bulge from the door. The forgotten books on the table, with  his beloved moomin bookmark in it. It was hard. This situation. One of the reason, she didn't go back to the flat.

 

When they could, they videocalled. This was so nice, to being able to talk like that. YongGuk would get somewhere quiet at night at they would videocall for hours, laughing and enjoying being connected. Laughing together, YongGuk felt so grateful that no one understood their language. If his brother was the other entity of him, Eunji was his soulmate.

But she didn't contact him after this failed weekend, feeling that it wouldn't help. She felt like he would endlessly apologize even if it wans't his fault at all. She didn't want that. She simply left a message for him that she was disappointed by his father but not by him. She read his long answer, not bothering to answer it.

 

Eunji was walking out of the university quietly after a full day of courses. She couldn't believe she started to cry at the library. So embarrasing of her. She sighed. 'What a bad way to start the week'  She was tired and couldn't wait to go back to home. She studied until the library closed. It was midnight.

“Gosh you surely take your time to go out.” YongJoon said looking at her. She didn't even glance at him. He sighed. All this wait for her to not even notice him. He tapped on her shoulder and she stopped her track to turn herself to him.

She looked at YongJoon with widened eyes. YongJoon looked at her different steps of reaction. First she was just surprised, then she looked away from his face. She simply looked at his shoes. He sighed. What a problematic girl.

 

“Why are you here ?” She asked.

 

“I'm sorry. I didn't think that my actions would have lead to what happened this weekend.” YongJoon revealed.

 

Eunji bite her lips. And sighed deeply. “ Why didn't you tell him ? That it was you and not YongGuk ?”

 

“The nametag. I had YongGuk nametag.” YongJoon said, with a guilty tone.

 

Eunji catched the word 'nametag' and scoffed. “You could have explain to him that you were fooling around with YongGuk nametag.”

 

Eunji looked at him try to justify himself and walked away. He ran to catch her pace and she gave him a dark look. “Listen to me !”

 

Eunji laughed. “Oh gosh no. You try to justify yourself. I don't need that. I needed to see my boyfriend.”

 

The bus arrived and Eunji hopped on. She sat and suddenly groaned when she saw YongJoon sit next to her. Gosh. He was so troublesome. YongJoon contasted that she wasn't heading to the flat she was sharing with YongGuk. He wondered about her destination, it's been a while they are sat next to each other silently. Eunji looked very tired.

What a strange girl. YongJoon often wondered how this grumpy girl makes his brother smile. She doesn't even ask how he is.

 

 “You don't care how he is doing ?”

 

She didn't look at him so didn't pay attention to him talking. He poked  her side, repeated himself and she shrugged. “What a good girlfriend.”

 

She didn't hear him anyways. She didn't look at him anyways. YongJoon looked at her push the stop button and he hopped off with her. She still had to walk several minutes to reach home.

 

He walked next to her, realizing she was going back home : her parents house. She stopped herself just in front of it.

 

Yongjoon looked at her eyes directed on his nametag. She sighed deeply before entering her house. She didn't even give him a proper look, or even a thanks. YongJoon opened the door now very angry. His brother make a fuss for him to check on her and here she was no giving a about him. He sighed deeply. He wanted to teach her some lesson and he stepped in the house determined to argue with her. He definitely lost his temper with that rude behavior. She was so …

Sobbs. YongJoon frozed hearing that and walked silently to the couch.

YongJoon got in front of the couch and  looked at the girl madly crying on the couch like a lost child. She looked heartbroken. He gulped. His little joke made her so sad. He felt bad witnessing this moment of her life. With him, Eunji was upset, silent and slightly odd. Never looking properly at him today.

He sighed at the view of this miserable girl crying. He shouldn't be the one here. He shouldn't be the one that came to check on her at the university. He gulped badly, realizing the consequences of him fooling aroung with YongGuk nametag. He felt so bad  until she realized he was there.

Eunji widened her eyes, realizing he followed her in her house. He looked puzzled and awkward. She looked away, wiping away her burning tears and he did what his brother would want him to do. He sat next to Eunji and  rested her head on his shoulder. He didn't talk to her, she cried on his shoulder for long minutes. He just patted her shoulder. Suddenly, Eunji got far away from him, wiping her tears and considered the man in front of her. He looked like the person she needed right now but wasn't that person, making her sigh heavily.

 

“I miss him.I feel like I'll be upset if you tell me he's doing fine. And I'll be sad if you tell me he's sad. So I don't want to know.” Eunji said calmly. YongJoon nodded, understanding her point of view.

 

“I guess you do. But you never contacted him after the weekend. I thought that you didn't care anymore of Gukkie.” YongJoon said, earning a little nodd of understanding from Eunji

 

She shook her head. “It's not his fault. I don't want him to feel sorry when it's not his fault. I don't even want to read that he's sorry. I'll get angry at him and I don't want that.”

 

YongJoon nodded. "i'm truly sorry too. It's my fault."

She shrugged. "Anyways. It would have help if your father wasn't that ty."

Wheen having a glimpse of their relationship, he always thought Eunji was capricious and childish. Gosh, today she proved him that she could be very mature and thoughtful of others. She had a little giggle.

 

“I guess I'm going to sleep. I feel like I had a long day.” She stood up and YongGuk looked at her stumble while doing so. He shook his head and made her sit back on the couch.

 

“I feel you didn't eat anything. Let's eat something before anything. Beside, I'm hungry too.”

 

Eunji nodded and looked at YongJoon get in the kitchen searching on her fridge. She stayed quiet during the meal. Missing her talkative YongGuk. Yet still eating because she knew that YongJoon will get tons of questions from YongGuk to find out how she is doing.

 

Her father entered the kitchen, as his work hours were over. He got surprised seeing Eunji with a man in the kitchen.

"YongGuk ?" He said, not believing his eyes. YongJoon turned himself and bowed lightly to him.

 

“Ahh so you finally got released for a few days !!! Yongguk how can you do that ?” He said joking. The twin laughed nervously.

 

Eunji  sighed, understanding that her father mistook YongJoon for YongGuK; she sighed loudly. “This is YongGuk twin. YongJoon. He came to apologize.”

“Gosh. They are really alike. How can you spot a difference with the shaved hair ?! ” Her father signed to her, making her scoff.

“Dad, they're twins you're stating the obvious.” She groaned before standing up. "Anyways I'm tired. Go back safe YongJoon."

 

He nodded and both men looked at her take the stairs before talking.

 

“She is like this since she came back from Busan. Sorry if she was rude.” Her father explained with his soft voice, YongJoon smiled and shrugged it away. He helped him with the dishes and had a pretty good conversation with her father. He was happy to see that YongGuk was in contact with such a man. Suddenly, he got envious of Eunji that finds in her dad her confident, her protector, her comforter and even more. He realized that this type of relationship father-child looks nice. He left feeling that he needed to talk to his father. Firstly, because of his brother unfair punishment and secondly to try getting closer to him.

 


No YongGuk for this chapter !! A dramatic chapter tho.

I hope you gyus are doing fine. I'm in my last month in South Korea and already sad of leaving. Even if I'm excited to go back home.

Anyways, enjoy and comment !!