Awkward

Reading your lips

Yong Guk stared at the clock in the classroom. 7:58. He had still some time for a few pages. He kept going with his reading before closing his comic when the teacher entered the room.

She was already done with the register and had started the lesson when the door was wide opened, causing all people to look in this direction. Who could open this door this violently ?

Yong Guk looked at a small girl with brownish hair walk in the classroom without any smile. She had noticed that all eyes were on her and a light pink blush invaded her cheeks.

 

Eunji tried to talk normally and bowed. « Jung Eunji , Sorry for being that late I was lost. »

 

« We don't have any Jung Eunji in our class. » The teacher said quite bothered that she disturbed her class. The students scoffed with their teacher bluntness, yet still pissed off that their lesson was interrompted. Eunji handed her the admission paper and the teacher nodded.

 

« Nobody told me that there will be a new student today. » She said, annoyed. Eunji tried a smile, she didn't know what to do. Does this mean she's supposed to go back and wait for the new class to enter back the classroom ?

 

« Well, have a seat, Jung Eunji. » She said with an annoyed tone, having a look for the admission paper before adding more gently : « In the first row.  It will be better for you. »

 

Eunji froze at that sentence. She had already made some steps to the very back of the class. The teacher gave her an obvious smile and she sat on the empty seat in the first row. She sighed. The words « hard of hearing » were obviously writting on this stupid letter and she already hated to see how people softens learning about it.

 

She gave a little look to the person she was sharing the table with. A boy, with wide shoulders, half-moon eyes and plump lips. She bowed slightly to him while he did the same. He quickly looked the other way after this cold greeting.

 

YongGuk hided a sigh. Why me ? He thought to himself. He never knows how to behave with girls, be friendly was not a option because of his shyness. He just ignors them, does as if the girl populationn was never there. If only he could be like Yongjoon confident enough to flirt with girls. He tried to secretly push his chair far away from her.

 

'Okay, she doesn't exist. She's not sat at 50 centimeters. Okay maybe her elbow almost touching mine but … nevermind.' He thought to himself.

 

Yong Guk at the break opened his comic, making her sense that he had no intention to talk with her.

 

Eunji sighed seeing that. She arrived in a already well formed class. Everyone had their friends, yet most importantly, in this elite school nobody cared about you, gossip or things. Good marks were more important. Her first time not being in a deaf classroom in the longest time.

 

Eunji hided a sigh seeing that no one tried to ask her questions or whatsoever. She looker at what her seatmate was reading. Moomins. She had an instant smile, she didn't expect that. He looked cold and yet he was reading Moomins, she loved this comic and naturally started to read at his pace. She had fun doing that for long minutes before the teacher entered back in the class and causing YongGuk to close the comic and putting it in his bag.

 

Yong Guk clearly heard her giggle at the jokes and stuff, she was reading over his shoulder. It was unexpected. He crossed her eyes while closing his book and she looked away, losing her smile. He hided a smile, she was cute.

 

Eunji was so embarassed by the event that when he had to share his book with her so she could follow the class, she was so intimitated that she stopped to look his way, making YongGuk amused by the role reverse. He was too used being the shyer one.


*

 

On the afternoon, Yong Guk stared at her sad face and look at her sigh at what the teacher was saying. They were sit in the plain first row. He was a good student and supposedly she was too. But she didn't take any notes. Eunji tried to do as if he was not just next to her and stopped to feel threathened by his presence.

 

Soon, he looked at her remove something from her ear and put it gently in her jacket pocket. She looked relieved. He was confused. What was this thing ?

 

He cleared his throat and she didn't bulge. He felt weird about this.

 

« Eunji ? »

 

The teacher said. She acted like she didn't hear anything. She was still drawing on her notebook. Soon, he shouted it. « EUNJI »

 

She still didn't bulge, causing YongGuk to gently poke her hand. She looked at him weirdly before her eyes landed on the teacher.

 

« Would you take some notes ?  You're in the first row. IT SHOWS WHEN YOU ZONES OUT !!! »

 

She nodded shyly.

 

"You just arrived and your first impressions are bad, let me tell you." He added before starting back his lesson.

 

Yong Guk looked at the children around roll their eyes. He handed her his paper so she could copy. She took it and quickly copied. Yong Guk looked at her putting back her little thing in her ear. His eyes catched a word on his notebook. "Thanks you." He smiled, not being able to hide this smile, despite his efforts.

 

Eunji tried to  follow all the following classes yet sometimes she would zone out without even wanting. She sighed and looked at the teacher speak. What a weird feeling to hear well after all those years. She close her eyes and heard a cough from her seatmate. She crossed his eyes, he looked still confused over his a choo. She smiled and looked at him write back on his notebook.

 

Eunji admired how wide his shoulders was and his beautiful lips. She turned away before he caught her staring. That' d be a pleasure to kiss those. A pity that he's that unfriendly.

 

*

 

 

Quickly he understood that her hearing wasn't that good. She would often do that. Removing the device that supposedly made her hear.

 

He understood a lot of things just seating next to her. Her device was on the other side. The left. She doesn't have any reaction when he made noise on his side. He was pretty sure that her right ear was … dead.

 

Once, he looked at her in the canteen. She was alone. One week after her arrival, she still didn't make any friends. Maybe that's why she never wear her device here. She must hate it. She looked at it on the table and sighed. She went to threw things and the hearing aids that was in her pocket fell in the floor.

 

Yong Guk looked at the little device and pick it up. He had to give it back to her.

 

« Eunji ! »

 

She was still calmly walking. Shouting wasn't an option for obvious reason so instead he catched up her pace and put himself in front of her. She bumped into him, her head hitting lightly his chest. She raised her eyes, blushing seeing that her handsome seatmate was this close to her.

 

He was the first to take a step back, making her hide a laugh. More that unfriendly, he seemed just awkward around girls.

She waited for him to talk, and he hesitated to talk. Suddenly, she noticed that she wasn't hearing anything. She stopped to look at him all handsome that he was and started to chekc her pockets, not finding it.

 

He waved his hands in front of her eyes, startling her. She gulped, saying to him that this was unpolite to do wasn't an option for her now.

 

He opened his hand and she widened her eyes.

 

« Oh, How come it's with you ? »

 

She took it back, brushing his palm with her little cold fingers, surprising him and put it back.

She sighed out of relief. « Thanks. If I would have lost it, I would have got scolded. » She gave him a big smile making his heart flutter.

 

It's a few seconds after that she realized afterwards that he discovered her secret. She crossed his eyes with her deep brown eyes, making time stop for a second.

 

«  So you must have guessed everything, huh ? »

 

Yongguk nodded. He didn't dare to speak.

« Will you tell the others ? » She asked him, her eyes getting teary. Will she get bullied once again ? Will people make fun of her condition once more ?

Her worries vanished when her seatmate laughed. Eunji thanked god that she had put back her device. His laugh was so pretty to hear. All those weeks sat next to him, she never had a chance to hear properly his voice. He didn't talk loud. She was sat on her bad side. Suddenly, his laugh turned in a cough that he had trouble to stop. She was startled by his outburst of laughter and hided an amused smile.

 

« Do you think that they care about this ? » He told her with a grin. It was the first time she witnessed his smile and she froze for a moment, trying to hide her embarassement. His smile was really perfect.

 

She finally smiled back. That's true. Everyone was busy studying. No kingas, popular y girls, no rumors spreading. Their school was made for the smart students and smarts students had others things to do.

 

« You're right. » Eunji said, before looking his feets. She didn't dare to look at his face, too embarassing. Seeing her behaving this way, YongGuk gathered some braveness to say ;

 

« Can I ask you one question ? »

 

« Go ahead. »

 

«  Does it hurt you ? Is it why you remove it all the time with your annoyed face ? »

 

She laughed. He noticed that she was radiant doing that. « No, it's purposely made for my ear. It gets annoying when you wear it non-stop for like 12 hours or something. »

 

He got confused. She smiled. « It's just that … I just got it. I was at a school for deaf/hard of hearing people. I wasn't used to … hear well. So sometimes, I disconnect. »

 

He nodded understanding her point of view. « Feel free to copy my paper if you need to zone out in class. »

 

She widened her eyes, amazed by his kindness. « Hmm, well, thanks. »

 


Here is the first chapter !! I hope you enjoyed reading this :)

Don't be shy and leave a feedback !! And thanks to the people who already suscribed !! That's awesome !!

Have a good day !!

PS : I won't be using the name of YongGuk twin, I feel awkward doing that so yep YongJoon will be used in this story to remplace his name. Also, Natasha becomes Sasha. ^^