ONE.

Runaway You

 

It has been two weeks since your first day working in restaurant. You’ve met the whole staffs at the place and good things that they’re all friendly toward you, they also helped you a lot to adapt in your new environment.

You had your first salary today. You were very excited since the first time you woke up. However you have new daily activities now, after helping your grandmother picked flowers from the garden, since you work for more than 7 hours each day you and your grandmother agreed that your grandmother will wait for you in neighbor’s house. The one that occupied by an old lady—probably a little younger than your grandmother—who lives with her children.

“Good morning, guys.” You cheered as you took off your coat and put it on your locker.

A girl on the same age as you greeted back, “Hello, Eunhee! I’m 5 minutes earlier than you. I win!” she jumped in excitement.

“Arasso, Yunmi, tonight is my treat, since I’ll get my first salary today!!” You joined her being happy creatures from nowhere out of the blue.

“Really?? Congratulations! I’m looking forward to it, fighting Eunhee!” she pushed her fist in the air strongly.

As the shop opened, customers gradually came and you served them from table to table, as usual, today is also another busy day for you but the difference you have extra energy to do everything since you finally approached a check point and your energy boosted up to reach it.

You were lost in work without you knowing it is finally evening, sky is going to be dark soon and your shift will end soon too. You can hardly waited for it. You leaned your back on the kitchen wall, sighed in worth exasperation and wiped your sweat on your forehead with towel damped on your shoulder.

“It’s finally done.” You mumbled in relieve.

“Uhh, Eunhee can you come for a moment?” Your senior called you from the back door.

You directly responded, “Coming, sunbae.”

“May I ask your help to throw that garbage outside, I received a call from my family in Seoul and I have to pick it up, please?” She talked in hurry while shaking her phone in her hand.

“Of course, you have to pick it up soon, sunbae. I will handle the rest,” you winked at her.

You look upon two huge trash bags next to you. You picked it up and immediately walked to the nearest landfill. For you it is the darkest place on the street, it’s like a spot where no one never come to but to throw trashes and remains dark.

You hurriedly turned after you finished business and came out the dark alley and suddenly loud bang heard behind you. You looked back and witnessed a group of black leather clothed men running towards the other direction, there’s also heard a deep voice yell. Even though the situation is a little crowded but the voice is still audible for you. You approached one of the pedestrian who also curious but they apparently didn’t know either.

Another loud voice is heard, this time like something metal has fallen from the sky followed by a gunshot. You didn’t deny but felt terrified. Was someone is assassinated? Is there crime scene over there? Suddenly an image of your grandmother inside the house alone haunted your mind. You were dead worried, but you tried to stay positive, moreover, your house is far from here. Then, you took a mental note that it might be dangerous for you to get involved to the situation. You decided to come back quickly to the restaurant.

“Eunhee! Wake up, we’re closing now.” Yunmi shook your body lightly. You opened your heavy eyelids. You mumbled something about time and looked around that is already dark. You jumped out of your chair.

“Oh my goodness, what time is it, Yunmi?” Your eyes rounded.

“9 p.m. You slept soundly, I can’t wake you up so I let you rest, sorry, Eunhee.” Her head bow while playing her fingers awkwardly.

You were in state of panic thinking about your grandmother waiting alone at home. You quickly bid goodbye to your friend and dashed to your house.

As you were straddling on a dim street of the town, your conscience can’t stay calm even if you force yourself to. You felt horror being there alone, luckily there’s still few people around, at least you feel save there are human.

Out of sudden you heard groans on your left side. Your feet suddenly be glued, the wind chills on your spine although you’re wearing coat. Seconds later another grunts was heard, this time it sounded an utter. As a brave girl with smoldering curiosity sometimes lost your conscience. You heard the voice is clearer as you stepped into the alley.

“H…he…lp…”

You gasped by the horror scene in front of your eyes. Through the dying street lamp, silhouette of a boy vanquished in horrible state, his shirt were soaked and his forehead is bleeding. Rather than ran away you thought to scream for help.

Before you could opened your mouth, someone enfolded you from behind; arrested you from screaming. Your voice was restrained by the hand. You tried to fight back but he is a lot stronger than you, he tightened his strangle until you gasped for air.  *am I going to die today?*

“Don’t scream, I will not hurt you if you do as I say, do you understand?” He panted on your ears in husky voice. You abided.

“Police is chasing after him because he is a criminal, don’t worry, he didn’t die, I accidentally smacked his head on the wall and I thought he is amnesia now.” His voice was mischievous and psychopathic. Is he a mad psychopath threatening you to death?

“I don’t know you believe me or not. However, I beat him because he attempted to rob and murder me, but I think he is the one who hurt more than I am. Aish, police will arrest me if I got caught. So, you have to help me because I’m not guilty. I just protected myself.” You listened to him carefully, not sure who is he persuades you to believe him but you can’t easily believe a drama king like him. But as you study his confession a little, he is probably saying the truth.

Your breath went normal again. Eventually he let go of his hand after you stopped fighting. As you turned around you almost yelped seeing a person’s face full of bruises. It must be hurt very much.

“Sorry for the handcuffs.” He talked while enduring so much pain on his body.

You took a few steps behind, “You stay away from me.”

“Hey, I won’t do anything to you. I just ask your help.” He reasoned, but you looked at him in disbelief, he rolled his eyes, “Okay. I surrender.”

You sighed deeply and pinched the bridge of your nose, “Why did you beat him so much? He will die you know?” you suddenly spoke up.

“He’s a burglar.” He pointed to the unconscious boy with poker face.

“No. The other reason. I want you to explain why did you have to beat him that much? You can bring him to the police instead. Now look what you have done.”

He let out an exhausted breath, “It’s been complicated. I was so angry and lost my sanity.”

“Where are your family?” you keep bombarded him with questions until you revealed all you curious about.

“In Seoul.”

As you thought.

“You failed, I can’t help you. Please move away” You stammered can’t deny that you’re scared witnessing a gory crime scene. You acted as if there’s nothing and walked pass the taller guy.

“Hey. I’m in danger right now, do you have some humanity?” he suddenly grabbed your wrist tightly.

“It is you that lost your humanity!” You exclaimed.

“I can drag you into court if you run away like that.” He threatened.

“What?!”

Then, there’s hazy sound of serine coming up. The boy’s gesture stiffened as he groaned in frustration, he fastened his hand on you.

“Fine. I will tell you everything. But you have to hide me from the police now.” He took the last glance towards the unconscious guy before bring you out of the street.

 


YOU GUYS CAN GUESS WHO IS HE, RIGHT? YUP. HE IS CHOI SEUNGCHEOL. I WILL TELL MORE ABOUT HIM AND EUNHEE ON NEXT CHAPTERS, SO STAY TUNE OKAAYY!!

SUBSCRIBES AND COMMENTS IS LOVED. THANK YOU!