FIFTEEN

Runaway You

It was nearly midnight and you were sitting in hospital’s waiting room in fatigue. Seungcheol was beside you, leaned his eyes uncomfortably against the wall. Since you decided to bring your grandmother to the hospital, you have no choice but to wait for doctor to observe her.

You looked at the guys next to you who were crossing his arm on his chest and dozed off. You can’t help but soften, “You should go home now.” Your voice accidentally woke him up.

His eyes are already red because of tiredness, “Huh? I just feel to close my eyes for a moment.”

“No. Go home, you can’t lie to me.” You sighed heavily.

“I’ll go to the bathroom instead.” He stood up and strolled down the hallway.

You peeked him walked away from the corner of your eyes to the darkness. You realized the hospital was already empty, people rarely passed through the hallway. Fortunately, they kept the lamps , so at least you wouldn’t think you were in a horror movie cite.

Almost fifteen passed, but you can’t see Seungcheol’s emergence. Did he really go to the bathroom or go home? You asked yourself. Your bottom is hurt in sudden, you decided to loiter around the hallway plus to cast out sleepiness. But you can’t deny that you were weary after what you have been through in a day.

Then you yawned. After few laps you surrendered and relaxed on the bench again. Slowly, your eyelids were falling without your knowledge, eventually, your vision remained dark.

Next time, you are awake on someone’s lap. Suddenly you felt a light weight brushed against your cheeks, then you realized someone had             tucked strands of your falling hair. You twitched by the touched. Your eyes rounded in shock, seeing Seungcheol’s face above yours. You jerked up your body, as your face painted pink hot.

“Finally, you are awake.” Seungcheol groaned as he stretched his hand. “You slept quiet long time, you know?”

“When did you…?” You squinted your eyes toward him.

“When you sleeping precisely.”

You blinked in confusion, “You didn’t go home last night?”

He shook his head in disapproval, “I said I went to the bathroom, didn’t I? Yeah, I took quiet long time actually but I didn’t go anywhere. When I came back you were sleeping like a drunk hippo.” He made a move to imitate silly sleeping position with his mouth agape. “Like that.” He snickered as he scoffed you.

You slapped his arm hardly made him yelped in pain. “I didn’t ask that.”

Suddenly you straighten up your back and face him, “Halmeoni…” you called in worry tone.

“I talked to the doctor when you were sleeping. He said she is exhausted and having terrible cold, overall she is fine. Want to see her?” Seungcheol explained coolly. You nodded and went to your grandmother’s room.

You entered the pale blue-green sterilized room with white curtain hangs on the ceiling, behind it there is your grandmother sleeping peacefully. A small tube tacked on your grandmother’s right arm that draws off infusion. Your eyes soften, seeing her weak.

You were about to wake her up, but Seungcheol tapped your shoulder so you paused. You looked at him, “It’s the best to not wake her up now. Doctor said she needs lots of rest now.”

You can only sighed when he told you. Then, you decided to sit next to her bed only to watch her sleeping while praying for her recovery.

“Uhm, what time is it, Seungcheol?” You discovered that there isn’t a clock in that room.

“11 a.m.” Seungcheol replied shortly, then he bent up his head to you with your eyes rounded in shock.

“I was late for work.” You mumbled and about to escape the room, but accidentally Seungcheol grabbed you by the wrist.

“I’ll coming with you, Eunhee.” He darted his eyes straightly to yours. But you looked away, unassured.

“No, Seungcheol. There must be someone to watch her here.” You argued.

But he immediately shut you up with a concerned glare, “I’m not going to leave you alone again. I’ll be with you. There are nurses to watch her here, okay?”

You didn’t have a choice since he won’t let you go if you refuse.

 

Seungcheol’s car arrived in front of the restaurant. You suddenly frightened. Your boss must be very mad at you about yesterday. When you thought it’s over for you, Seungcheol patted your shoulder.

“It’s better to tell the bitter truth than sweet lies. Explain everything to her, if you need help just call me.”

Your eyes flickered in awe, he is totally a metaphor for you today. He suddenly become a gentleman and you couldn’t get why. Does he do this because he is sorry to you or something else?

Speaking of his encouraging words, you need to face the reality now. You slowly walked to the restaurant with heavy steps. You could see business in the restaurant through the glass window. You tried to find your boss and she was behind the counter, serving a customer. You let out a big exhale before you entered the restaurant.

Your boss looked up, thinking it was a customer but just you standing awkwardly.

“Cho Eunhee.”

Before she started to nag at you, you bowed in front of her deeply, “I’m very sorry I didn’t come to work yesterday. But let me explain, mam.” You shut your eyes tightly.

“Well, let’s talk outside.” She passed your body to exit the restaurant. You confusingly obeyed her.

On the other hand, Seungcheol was watching you from the car. You were talking to your boss outside the restaurant, but Seungcheol can’t hear what you two are talking about. He can’t stop watching your face. Observing your gesture when talking to your boss. He saw your boss raised her voice when she talked to you. He furrowed and straighten his back, built his self-guard.

You and your boss are done talking. It ended rather upsetting since your face were expressionless. You walked to his car soullessly. Seungcheol got out of his car and walked up to you.

“Are you okay? What did you guys talk about?” He asked but you didn’t answer right away so he lost his patience, “You aren’t fired, right?” He muttered suspiciously.

You immediately shook your head, “She forgives me but I can’t attend to work for a week and she cut my salary.” You replied sadly.

“That’s good thing, right?” He spoke carelessly. You shot him a death glare. “I mean, you can take care of your grandmother until she recover than you can work again.” He snickered as he ruffled your hair messily made you groaned angrily.

“Stop it!” You slapped his arm off your head. “I want to go to hospital now.”

When you were about to leave, Seungcheol restrained your hoodie to stop you walking away. “Nope, not yet.”

You glare at him with questioning look.

Suddenly he snapped his fingers and beamed at you, “I have an idea. How about I treat you lunch? Then, we will go back to the hospital.”

You rolled your eyes but eventually approved his plan. Then, both of you rushed downtown.