FOURTEEN

Runaway You

“Halmeoni. I made us breakfast,” You shook your grandmother’s body gently. You have been watching her all night long that you didn’t get a chance to sleep. But your grandmother’s health is more important for you right now.

Your grandmother woke up and you sat her on the bed carefully. When you touched her hand it was really cold and weak.

“Halmeoni, drink this.” You tossed a glass of water to her, she smiled at you as she sipped the liquid in it.

“You didn’t sleep well, did you my dear?” Her voice was hoarse and shudder. You answered with a light smile and shook your head in disapproval not wanting to worry her.

“Do you want to eat something, Halmeoni?”

She nodded meekly, “What did you make today? I want to eat that.”

“I made porridge and soup.” You answered.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t help you out today, dear.” She looked at you full of guilty.

“It’s fine, Halmeoni. Your health is more important now, I don’t want you to strain your body even more. Since today, I will do everything, okay?” You pleaded with a hint of worried smile while grabbing the palm of your grandmother.

She opened her eyes bigger and aim to caress your hair slowly, “I’m so sorry to burden you so much. I never made you happy even once in your lifetime, but you always cherished me and yourself all alone while I just grow older and weaker each day. I’m so sorry, Eunhee.” Her tears are strolling on his cheeks.

You swallowed your saliva back and let it become unspoken words remain to yourself. You admit sometimes you wanted to quit life when you’re done with it. But, actually it was your grandmother who always be there for you and your only reason why you always be grateful to what you have each day, so you cannot easily give up on life.

Eventually, your first tears came out but you swept it off your cheeks, still wanted to look strong in front of your grandmother, “Please don’t say that. You are my only family and I’m grateful to have you, Halmeoni. I love you so much.”

“I wish you to be happy and I want you to know that I love you too, dear.” She sobbed. “Come here, I want to hug my precious daughter.” She waved her shaking palm to you, and you hugged her tightly.

 

 

At the time you have to look after your grandmother, you spent most of the day next to your grandmother, accompanied her who is still sick. Every time you asked her what is wrong with her, she would always answered with a light headache. Whenever you persuaded her to go to hospital, she urged to stay home instead that made you even more worried.

It almost dinner time. You were busy making your grandmother’s meals in the kitchen when suddenly she started to cough and stopped in few seconds. When you thought she just slightly choked, she started to cough again made you felt uneasy and immediately came to her room.

“Halmeoni, are you okay?” You asked holding her back to help her ease her lungs but it won’t stop. Then, your fear appeared.

Your grandmother pointed towards the glass on the cabinet, you immediately help her drink the water. Luckily, her coughs smoothen.

“Should I go buy some medicine?” You mumbled while watching your grandmother breath heavily on the bed.

“Halmeoni, I will buy some medicine, can you wait for a while?” You asked her almost whisper to her. Seeing your grandmother’s condition worsen you directly took your jacket and ran to the nearest drugstore.

 

 

You need approximately twenty minutes to walk back home. In the middle of the way you met a group of drunken guys at the side of the street. When you looked at them, some of them were already looking at you in naughty eyes.

As you scared, you looked away and fasten your pace. You took a glance towards the guys for the last time when accidentally you bumped to someone in front of you.

“Ouch!” You grunted as your kissed the hard floor. Instinctively, you looked up at the guy, you expected him to help you or at least asked you were okay. But he looked down at you in unfriendly glare.

You gulped as he was annoyed. You can smell alcoholic scents thorough his body, it was very strong that you wanted to puke.

You stood up immediately and bowed before him crept you even more. “I apologize, I should have paid attention.” You stuttered, with cautious gesture, avoiding thing to go messier than this.

He seemed annoyed by your scaredy cat behavior, “Hey. Young girl, wait.”

You ignored him when he called you. Unluckily, you saw him walked wobbly behind you. You felt your eyes tearing up in fear. There are certainly no one around the street like a dead city. As you turned to the other way someone deliberately pulled your hand towards the dark alley. In a blink of eyes, you were already trapped between the cold wall and the guy’s body. He pushed your body softly against the wall as he craned his head to the street. You unable to understand why he did that to you. The next time, he sighed in relieve.

“I think he had gone.” He said quietly, his breath brushed your ear and you just froze and lightly trembled, “What are you doing at this late?”

You calmly overhear the voice you’ve been missed all this time. The voice that always serenade you in every kind of situation. Unexpectedly, you started to sob on his board shoulder. Surrender to every mental weight on your shoulder, sorrow, fright, rage, and longing everything mixed in your tears.

Seungcheol turned to be a human statue as you tucked his shirt closed to your head and started to cry. He didn’t get what happened to you but somehow he knew it was because of him. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to leave you, Eunhee.” He hesitantly your hair and his other hand circled around your waist.

“I tried to talk to you but you weren’t in restaurant today,” He soothed you a bit with his voice and continued to your head as he landed his head on top of your head.

“Halmeoni is sick, I’m scared. I’m scared something bad will happen to her…” You said between your sob.

Seungcheol let go of his embrace to cup your cheek, made you looked at his liable eyes, “What happened to her?” He questioned, but you can’t stop from crying.

He pulled you into a tight hug but you pulled him away. He tucked your hairs behind your ear to get a better vision of you but you still hung your head down. “I understand. You should stop crying now, we need to take your grandmother to the hospital immediately.” He said calmly, “Stop crying, okay?” You finally responded with a nod.

He wiped your tears with his thumb gently and retracted the tip of your lip slightly to form a little smile. If it wasn’t because you cried you would have swoon by his manliness.