ELEVEN.

Runaway You

“I’m going to find where he is this morning.” You walked back and forth behind the counter. Everyone were obviously staring at you strangely, but you didn’t notice at all.

You tapped your chin, as if you were using your brain hardly, “But, where could he be? He didn’t say he went out of the town.” You mumbled to yourself.

“Ugh, why did he have to hide it from me?” You scratched the top of your head frustratingly.

“Does he go to work, calls his parents, meet with friends, plans to leave Daegu, soon? Just why didn’t he tell me—Uwah!” Suddenly your senior appeared in front of you, her hands were on her hips, staring at you in bewilderment. Your train of thought dispersed right away.

“Don’t just walking back and forth like an iron. Go buy ingredients on the notes, immediately!” She insisted bossily.

You slightly bowed before you apologized, “Yes, sunbae.”

“Here. Use this money. Pick the fresh only.” She uttered firmly. Without much talking you went outside.

The sky aren’t too friendly this afternoon. The clouds grumble above the sky as the wind blow pretty fast, unfortunately you only wear sweater and a pair of jeans, not much to cover your skin from the cold breeze. You wish you wore your coat or at least borrow Yunmi’s, so you wouldn’t suffer this much. But you have no choice.

You walked straight to the market and read the list of necessities slowly before you sorted out everything and finished your shopping session. Since the market is indoor, you didn’t notice it was raining outside.

“Please no.” You rued regretfully. You knew how stupid you were, doing something unprepared.

“Actually, it’s just heavy drizzle. Maybe it’d subsided as I ran.” You tapped your chin in smarty way, “Or…should I wait until the rain stop?”

It took ten seconds before you set your hand above your head and hoofed little pools on the ground, “There’s nothing to lose, now or never.” You braced yourself as you ran across the falling drops.

Unluckily the sky didn’t take more than ten minutes to rain heavier. You gave up running in the middle of your way back to the restaurant, but you have already soaked in water. Your hair are in no shape and all of your body started to get cold.

You only pouted your mouth and hugged yourself, “Damn you rain.”

“Eunhee? You are Eunhee right?”

Unexpectedly, a deep manly voice echoed in your ears. You recognized the voice instantly. Yes, how could you not? Vernon and you just met yesterday, in such a wonderful encounter.

“Vernon?” You asked in courtesy.

“Wow, I didn’t expect our meeting will be this quick.” He grinned cheekily. His fingers became slippery under the umbrella.

“Anyway, where are you heading up to?” You said curiously.

“Hotel. That one.” He slanted his head towards multi-story building at the end of the block.

You frowned at him, getting more curious, “So, you don’t live here?”

He shook his head in response, “I and my 2 friends are here to help our friend who were in trouble. He was missing like over two weeks. So, we stayed here for couple of days then go back to Seoul.”

*Missing more than two weeks. Just exactly the same as when Seungcheol came to my house.*

“Isn’t it uncomfortable wearing soaked outfit like that?” Vernon suddenly changed the topic, while scanning you from head to toe wonderingly.

“Yeah, I was supposed to go back to work in the restaurant, but I was trapped here.” You chuckled awkwardly, showing him how bumbling you are. In the other hand, Vernon offered you a lift under an umbrella. You thought he will you back to the restaurant, but he went otherwise.

“Let’s stop by my hotel, I think I have a pair of clothes you can wear instead of wearing that, you could catch flu.” He stated in friendliest way.

“What?! Your hotel, clothes? Wow that’s sweet of you, Vernon. But we just met and…” You paused, let him interpreting the rest by himself. Good thing, Vernon was smart—you think it was romantic.

“No. I usually do that too to people I barely met. We are friends anyway, right?”

You shouldn’t have had negative thinking toward him in the first place. He is already nice and friendly. But to be a guess in his hotel, isn’t that too much for a boy and girl like you and him who just met twice, moreover he came from another city. He was completely stranger to you. Suddenly, you can’t decide what’s best for you. You want to be friended with him as well.

“Are you sure, Vernon?” Instead of spun out time, you have many things to do in the restaurant, you reassured him once again.

“Of course. You can return it or not, that’s optional. But we have to meet again before I go back to Seoul in return, deal?” He offered a friendly promise. You positively accepted.

Vernon unlocked the door of his room before letting you in his room first like a gentleman. That small gesture was more than enough to swoon your heart away. As you entered you were astonished by the interior of the room. During your lifetime you have never been into a hotel room before. There is 3 single beds in the room and a set of sofa near the large panoramic window. You don’t know there’s such a luxury place in your town.

“You came with your friends too? Where are they now?” You noticed there are 3 unoccupied beds in a room.

“Yes, there is two other guys they are out to handle our friend. He lost everything after he was robbed when he stayed here.” Vernon stated casually. Suddenly his sentences pang your head hearing the same story like what happened to Seungcheol.

“Sorry Vernon. May I know who your friend name is?”

“His name is S.Coups. Why do you ask, perhaps you know him?”

You shook your head in disapproval, “No, I don’t know him. But I met someone who experienced the same.”

“Wow, there are quite a lot of criminal here.” He said then took a hoodie from his case and gave it to you. “Change into this, first. You’d feel better.”

You went to the bathroom that isn’t less luxurious than the main room. There are a standing shower room and porcelain cabinet with large mirror covered the wall. You took at least fifteen seconds to admire this three times larger room than yours at home.

When you finished, Vernon was already waiting on the living room, watching TV. Before you disturbed him, you took a look at loosen yellow hoodie on your body. It was warmer and more comfortable. You also dried your hair.

“I don’t look funny right?” You questioned out of the blue, made him turned his attention to you, he looked satisfied.

“Nope. You look fine.” He complimented. You smiled sheepishly.

Through the large window, you knew it is still raining outside. You talked to Vernon about your work, but he insisted you to wait until the rain stops. You finally agreed and joined him on the couch. He offered you a hot chocolate, since you’re hungry you said yes.

While you and Vernon were watching TV. Someone knocked on the door. Vernon stood up to open the door.

“I think it is them, wait here okay.” He said calmly as you looked slightly scared.

From the big room, you could hear small chit chats in front of the door. You couldn’t stop looking towards the hallway. You were nervous and your hands were as cold as ice blocks. What if they look scary or they don’t like you?

Your eyes are rounded when Vernon came back to the room, with one among his three friends is, “Seungcheol…?”