Thirteen

Photograph
WHITE LILAC - Youthful Innocence, Memories
 
 
Eunjun wakes up to the sound of the alarm. She groans and turns off her phone alarm, rubbing her eyes while yawning.

 

They arrived at 1.30am at the hotel last night and Mr Kim woke her up in the cab. Once she got in her room, she jumped on the bed without changing into her pyjama.

 

Eunjun walks to the mirror and removes her last night's makeup with the removal. She gasps when she realises she hasn't pull out her contact lenses. She pulls them out and sighs in relief. She enters the bathroom and showers quickly.

 

Once she's finish, she puts on her denim jeans and a grey sweatshirt. She slips into her white converse, fixing her hair that falls perfectly on her shoulder.

 

She grabs her sling bag and her fully charged phone, walking towards Mr Kim's room which is right beside hers. She rings the bell and crosses her arms, leaning against the wall opposite the door.

 

Mr Kim opens the door with a smile, "Why hello Jun." Eunjun looks at him from top to bottom. He is wearing white basic tee with blue jeans. The tee shirt is short sleeved and it reveals the professor's fine biceps, making Eunjun slightly blushes.

 

Eunjun asks, "Where are we eating?" Junmyeon smiles, "Come on."

 

                                                                                                     

 

"And my father was really pissed when he knew I changed my course. My real mother was obsessed with music but I just can't play any instruments. There's one time I played drums but my father was still pissed because he said drums are for boys." Eunjun scoffs. She continues,

 

"I can't understand my dad! Drum is still an instrument and it doesn't say in it 'only boys allowed'. So, I quit. That's when I chose photography."

 

The professor smiles, "Why did you choose drums though? There's piano or... Guitar..." Eunjun sighs, "Because it's easy. You just have to find the right beat of a song and then you play it just like that."

 

"Why photography then?" He asks. Eunjun leans against the chair while looking down and she smiles to herself, "My grandfather gave me camera when I was... 12 I think... Yeah I was 12."

 

She pauses with a smile and looks at nothing, as if she's daydreaming, "I took pictures of my whole family. My dad, my mom, my sister... All the time!"

 

Mr Kim laughs and she continues, "They were smiling in the photos. In fact, they smile in every photo. I love seeing people smile... That's why I always take pictures."

 

Junmyeon stares at her. His lips slowly curl up into a tiny smile.

 

"Talk about music, there's a song in every image. Like how some artiste found inspiration from their surroundings, they'll eventually capture them and write a song about them." Eunjun pauses.

 

"Especially when the surroundings kept or held memories of their pasts that is important in their lives. Ideas came from a place deep down and dark inside, don't you think?" She continues.

 

Junmyeon stares at her. He looks speechless. Eunjun's expression changes to an anxious and embarrassed one, "Was I exaggerating?  Was it incorrect?"

 

He shakes his head with a slight smile, "No... No... It wasn't incorrect. People are entitled to their own opinions. Opinions are never wrong; they're basically just agreement or disagreement. However Jun..."

 

The student looks at him as he puts in the piece of bread in his mouth before continuing,

 

"Your view is impressive and I'm down with it." He smiles. 

 

                                                                                                          

 

They walk around the city and pass the street dancers. She turns to her lecturer and asks, "Is this contest held annually?"

 

Mr Kim nods, "I escorted four winners including you since the past four years."

 

It's not weird if he danced and walked around the city with the past winners too. Eunjun mentally nods to herself.

 

Suddenly, a little girl grabs Eunjun's hand, "Flowers?"

 

Eunjun smiles and take the sunflower from the little girl's hand, "How much is this?"

 

"5 Dollars."

 

"Angelique! Not that flower..." Her mother says from the flower shop. Her mother sighs, "You can't just sell a random flower to someone. You have to ask them what they want."

 

The mother smiles to Eunjun, "Would you like to take a look inside?"

 

Eunjun looks down to the girl who is still holding her hand. Eunjun nods, "I would love to."

 

Once they enter the shop, an old woman greets them and suddenly takes Eunjun's hand. The woman just now smiles, "This is my mother. She's some kind of a fortune teller."

 

The old woman stares at Eunjun's hand, "Very pretty..."

 

Eunjun and Junmyeon stare each while chuckling. The woman uses her index finger to trace the lines on Eunjun's palm.

 

"White rose." She says and the younger takes a stem of white rose, giving it to Eunjun. The woman smiles, "There are various folk cultures and traditions assign the symbolic meanings to plants. For example, red roses mean true love whilst white roses mean purity, innocence, virtue, humility... Just like what my mother saw in you."

 

Eunjun looks at Junmyeon, "This has nothing to do with my photo, right?" Junmyeon laughs, "Beautiful coincidence."

 

"You are a saviour." The old woman smiles. Eunjun nods and smiles playfully, "I saved a lot of people lately... No doubt about that."

 

The old woman's face changes, "Be careful with the dark room. I see a cage..."

 

The younger woman's eyes widen and separate Eunjun's hand from her mother, "Mom don't."

 

Her mother sighs, "I'm sorry. Young man, can I take a look at your hand?" Junmyeon hesitates but he gives his hand anyway.

 

The old woman smiles, "You are a guardian." Junmyeon smiles, "Thank you." Eunjun's eyes landed on rosemary. She walks towards the corner and takes it. The old woman's daughter walks towards her, "Rosemary. It means remembrance."

 

Eunjun smiles, "My mom loved this." The woman smiles, "Oh really? You should give this to her, then." Eunjun smiles sadly, "She's gone."

 

The woman cups , "I'm sorry..." Eunjun shakes her head, "It's alright."

 

Eunjun looks at the white rose in her hand and suddenly her index finger pricked to its thorn. She hisses softly and sighs. The woman rushes to take a tissue and wraps Eunjun's finger, "There you go. Be careful, every rose has its thorns."

 

Eunjun smiles and gives the rose back to her, "Thank you." The woman shakes her head, "You can have it. It's free."

 

Eunjun shakes her head apologetically, "Thank you, you're so nice but... We're tourists and we're going back tonight."

 

"Aww... Okay then. Have a safe flight." She smiles. Eunjun replies the smile and walks towards Junmyeon. Junmyeon smiles at her for a second before he turns around, "Let's go."

 

Eunjun follows him from behind and frowns to his weird behaviour. She literally saw his smile faded as soon as he turned around.

 

Both of them arrive at the hotel at 2pm. Eunjun packs her stuffs into her luggage and rests on the bed once she's done. She ordered lunch from the hotel and waits patiently for the food to be delivered.

 

Mr Kim texts her as the food arrives.

 

 

Mr Kim Junmyeon

Let's go for lunch.

 

To: Mr Kim Junmyeon

Actually, I've ordered food. Sorry.

 

 

Mr Kim Junmyeon

See you at the airport then.

 

Eunjun frowns, "He's going to be out for that long?" She opens the door when the bell rings.

 

A man in nice suit stands there with a smile, "Miss Kim... I'm here to deliver photos from the gala. Our photographer has taken many of your photos so do Mr Kim Junmyeon's."

 

Eunjun takes the envelope with a smile, "Thank you. By the way, Mr Kim is not in his room. He went out."

 

The man nods, "Oh... Could you give this to him then?" Eunjun smiles, "Of course. Thank you."

 

The man nods and walks away. Eunjun shuts the door and opens her envelope. She smiles when she looks at a photo of her and Junmyeon.

 

I look pretty tall. She looks at other photos with a big smile. There are so many candid photos taken by the photographer. She really likes the photos, especially the one she's spinning around, making her strings of hair stuck on her face a little.

 

Most of the photos were well taken. She won't lie; she kinda loves how she looked in the photos. Who doesn't love a good photo of themselves? It's hard to get someone taking your pictures perfectly. There are tons of her photos that had been taken when she was smiling.

 

I surely laughed a lot last night.

 

She blushes to the photo where she and Junmyeon were dancing to the slow song. His hands were wrapped around her waist, whilst her hands are wrapped around his neck. They're literally staring at each other while laughing.

 

She opens her professor's envelope and looks at photos. The photos are mostly the same as hers since they're together in every photo. Except for one, he's holding a glass of wine while looking straight ahead with his intense glare.

 

Handsome. Eunjun smiles. She puts back the photos in the envelope and puts both of the envelopes in her sling bag. She remembered the Polaroid picture that the girl took last night. She searched her bag and she couldn't find it.

 

Instead of the Polaroid picture, she found Sehun's medication. A flashback comes into her head, when Sehun gets up from the seat angrily and the bottle fell from his leather jacket. 

 

She takes her phone and snaps a photo of the bottle.

 

To: Kim Eunjin

Can you tell me what this is? [photo]

 

Her eyes widened as the red liquid falls on her shirt from her nose. "..."

 

She locks her phone and enters the bathroom. She cleans it and sighs.

 

Great, the jet lag's not even gone, yet I'm going to fly again soon.

 
Author's Notes
-
0Y0Lz4y.gif