On a Fine Day

Your Heart's Desire

The sun glistened off the gold lettering on the large glass window of the shop. Through the sparkling glass you could see the shop owner moving slowly from one display case to another, offering the customer a better view of the tiny locket he'd just brought out. The smile on the face of the shop owner was a dim shadow of the look of wonder and joy shining from the face of the customer. The shopper reached out a tentative hand to touch the offered jewelry, as if afraid it would disappear. The young shopper nodded his head at whatever the other man had said and wiped away a few escaping tears as the shopkeeper placed the locket in a tiny velvet box.

Jongdae took in the scene as he pushed open the front door. He's here to do a job, not be moved by emotion.

The shopkeeper glanced over in Jongdae's direction at the sound of the door chime. "Good morning sir! I'll be with you in just a moment,” The man called as he finished up with his current customer.

"I'm sure she'll love it. Remember 100% satisfaction or you get double your money back." Jongdae scoffed to himself when he heard the owner's words. What proper business offered something like that? This should be a piece of cake.

The customer opened the jeweler's box to look at the locket and Jongdae once more saw tears threatening. "It's perfect," the man whispered more to himself than anyone else. As he passed, Jongdae was shocked to see the very familiar face of an extremely rich CEO, who was one of the biggest rivals to the company Jongdae represented.

The shock still hadn't fully worn off when Jongdae started walking towards the counter where the store's owner was writing something in a log book.

"Sorry, I hate computers. Just one more second." The man stooped down to pull a small box from the display case he'd been standing in front of. Jongdae half expected it to be another copy of the "perfect" locket but instead the velvet box held a pair of silver wedding bands that were very simple yet elegant and obviously sized to fit on men's hands. To say Jongdae was stunned would be an understatement.

"Aren't they beautiful?" The man's dimpled smile and kind eyes made Jongdae forget for a second that he was a hardened negotiator and he wasn't going to start crying like a baby. A nod was all he managed. "Try one on. I think they are what you were looking for. My name is Yixing by the way." The dimpled smile was now paired with a distinct eye twinkle and if he wasn't a tough businessman, Jongdae might have called it magic. "Don't worry, he'll say ‘yes’. He's probably wondering when you'd get over your cold feet!" Yixing chuckled softly.

"I don't have cold feet! I was waiting for the right time!" Jongdae squawked without thinking. Yixing simply raised an eyebrow and smiled. "Fine! I'll take them. How much?" Yixing quoted a price much lower than Jongdae expected, so he quickly paid the bill and made a hasty exit.

Jongdae had a very unhappy and slightly disbelieving boss to report back to that afternoon.

 



The next morning a new visitor paid a call on the little shop.

"Good morning, Yixing, right? Let's get right down to business, shall we? I have a very fair offer from my boss to purchase your shop. So if you would just sign where the x's indicate, we can save each other a great deal of time, okay?" Baekhyun said, not giving Yixing a single chance to speak.

Yixing smiled brightly before turning and placing the guitar that he'd been tinkering with on the counter between himself and Baekhyun, right on top of the contracts that if he'd signed would mean the end of the neighborhood as it was now known.

"I'll look at your offer as long as you don't mind holding this for me." Yixing handed the guitar to a speechless Baekhyun. On one hand, he'd get Yixing to look at the offer Kris was making and on the other hand, he was holding the very guitar Chanyeol had been dreaming about for.... well forever. "Hmmm..... I see.... Mmhm...... No thank you." Yixing said as he slid the papers back towards Baekhyun while moving his reading glasses to the end of his nose.

"What do you mean 'no thank you'? It's a very good offer!" Baekhyun asked, only partially paying attention to what Yixing was saying while wondering if he could buy the guitar for Chanyeol and still keep his job. Kris was a little upset with Jongdae the day before.

"Exactly what I said. I'm not selling. At any price, but that guitar would make someone, or should I say two someones, VERY happy." Yixing smiled devilishly, complete with eyebrow waggles.

"Fine! Give it to me but if I'm out of a job, you'd better be willing to find me a new one." Baekhyun tried to look angry but failed due to his excitement at finding Chanyeol's dream guitar.

When Baekhyun tip toed back into the office, Kris was quick to catch the guilty expression on his trusted employee's face and the unsigned contracts he was trying to hide. "LUHAN! Tomorrow and DON'T even think about coming back here without that signed contract!" Why didn't he just send Luhan in the first place? No one can say "no" to the baby faced deer boy, Kris thought before slamming the door to his office.

 



When no one arrived at Yixing's shop by lunch time asking for him to sell his beloved store, Yixing hoped that would be the end of the matter. When he heard the chime on his door ring, just as he was warming up his lunch, he knew it wasn't. His usual sunny smile was met with an equally bright, if not slightly mischievous, one in return.

"Hello." Yixing greeted, taking note of the not-so-contract-shaped bag the other man was carrying.

" 你好" The stranger said as he placed the bag he was carrying on the counter near Yixing.

The scents coming from the package only made Yixing more suspicious. He raised an eyebrow, not responding to the greeting in his native language and instead waiting to see what move the stranger chose next.

The next move was for the stranger to make himself at home by opening the bag and revealing some hard to find Chinese desserts. "Mind if I join you for lunch?" Luhan asked, not really expecting a "no" if the way Yixing was almost drooling was any indication.

"I suppose we could share." Yixing agreed, thinking what a nice change it would be to have someone to chat with while he ate his lunch.

The lunch turned into an entire afternoon of chatting and sharing stories of their lives. Luhan admitted that he'd had a huge crush on Minseok, Jongdae's boyfriend, before he'd started dating Jongdae. Yixing in turn told Luhan how his shop and the entire neighborhood are a home to him. After leaving China, he had to move around a lot until he found this special place. As he was talking, Yixing was fidgeting with his phone absentmindedly. Finally Yixing whispered, "Do you want to know a secret? There's magic here." At Luhan's look of disbelief Yixing continued. "There is! I can see your heart's desire and if your wish is pure it will be granted."

Luhan still wasn't completely convinced but as they continued to talk the door chime rang and in walked a tall, broad shouldered young man with blonde hair and a guarded expression which transformed when he saw the pair seated together chatting like long lost friends.

"Ohhhhh you are good!" Luhan told Yixing when he saw the newcomer.

A smug smile and a shrug were the only response he received.

When Luhan returned to the office without the signed contracts, Kris knew it was time to take matters into his own hands. "How can you guys show up here without that contract? This isn't just any old redevelopment project! I have a suite in the new high rise hotel reserved for my mom! How can you people do this to my mother?" Kris knew he was being unreasonable and his employees knew it too.

"Clear my schedule for Monday. It's time this guy meets with the Wu behind the Wu Corporation ,” Kris said with a determined smile.
 



The early morning light of the dreaded Monday found Kris Wu, founder and president of the famous Wu Corporation, pacing down the block from the store marked "Heart's Desire". Thankfully there was no one nearby to witness his attack of nerves. There was really no good reason he should be as nervous as he was. Each employee that he'd sent to the store had come back happier than he'd ever seen them before, so what did he have to fear?

After a few deep breaths Kris gathered enough courage to pull open the door to the shop with only slightly trembling hands.

"Good morning! Welcome to Heart's De-" Yixing automatically started to say as he straightened from his position behind one of the display cases, only to stop abruptly when his eyes met Kris'. "My answer is still ‘no’, so thanks for stopping by. Let's chat more next time, okay? Bye-bye now!" Yixing makes his way over to the tall man standing frozen in the doorway, stretched up to peck the giant on the lips, spun him around and practically threw him out the door before he locked it and turned the sign to ‘closed’.

Kris made his way slowly back to the office, his mind spinning with everything that had just happened. Had it just happened? Was it just a stress induced dream and he'd wake soon to discover he was still at home in his favorite unicorn pajamas? He was still lost in his thoughts when he reached the conference room of his office.

He was just in time to hear Baekhyun say "nice hickey" while Luhan squirmed to cover his neck from his friend's curious gazes.

"You have no room to talk! You've been limping for days!" Luhan sassed back.

The smile on Baekhyun's face only got bigger. "Chanyeol reeaaallllyyyy liked his guitar." Luhan wrinkled his nose at his friend's reply.

Both boys realized how unusually quiet Jongdae was being. Instead of a clever comment he just kept staring at the silver ring on his finger.

"So he said ‘yes’." Baekhyun guessed.

"Hmmmmm....." Jongdae tore his eyes away from his ring long enough to beam his friends a dazzling smile. "Yeah! Can you believe it?"

Luhan expected at least a little jealousy but there wasn't any. Instead he thought of Sehun's smile whenever he was with his 'Hannie'. What Luhan felt for Sehun was like getting free ice cream on a sunny day with free time after a stress filled work week. What he'd felt for Minseok had been nice but what he had with Sehun was amazing and wonderful and precious and simply beautiful. "I'm happy for you both." Luhan said with a warm smile and as he did he heard Baekhyun release the breath he'd been holding. Maybe he hadn't been as subtle as he thought he'd been.

A sound at the doorway brought the group's attention to Kris. Three pairs of eyes staring at him finally broke Kris out of his stupor. "Okay guys, we're calling it a day. Come back tomorrow with fresh ideas." The trio continued to stare in confusion at their boss who in the past would never have suggested that they chould go home early.

"Ahhhhhh..... Kris are you feeling okay?" Baekhyun ventured to ask.

"Of course, I'm fine! Why wouldn't I be fine? It's not like I had my world turned upside down or anything! Now get out!" Kris growled.

The trio knew when it was time to stop asking questions and when to quietly retreat.

"Luhan, you are closest to Yixing. You should be the one to find out what rattled Kris so much." Baekhyun suggested. Jongdae nodded in silent agreement.

"But Sehun and I-" Luhan tried to protest.

"He told us to go home early~" Baekhyun and Jongdae pointed out at the same time.

"Fine, but how am I going to explain this to Sehun. He won't understand that Kris is a workaholic." Luhan pouted.

"You could always take him with you. He's Yixing's friend too." Baekhyun offered.

"Than I'd get to hear him speak Mandarin and that could make things..... awkward." Luhan said. "It's really.....um...... distracting." He finished blushing scarlet.

"Gross!"

"TMI!" His friends cried.

After several texts, Luhan was able to convince Yixing to meet him later that day at a quiet coffee shop located near the store.

As Yixing entered to cafe, Luhan wasn't entirely prepared for the almost haunted look in his friend's eyes.

"What in the world happened between you and Kris?" Luhan blurted out.

"So much for subtlety. " Sehun whispered in his boyfriend's ear.

"I didn't mean to worry anyone." Yixing said as he slid into a seat next to Luhan. "I needed some time and a chance to call my grandmother." He took a deep breath and released it slowly, refusing to meet his friend's concerned gazes. "You both know about my gift, right? I can sometimes see visions of what someone wants. Sometimes it's as simple as an ice cream cone for a child or it could be more challenging like finding the cute guy you literally ran into at a coffee shop." Yixing glanced up at a blushing Sehun. "But never has it been involving me. I called my grandmother and she'd never heard of this happening to anyone before either. The gift runs in the family but not everyone is blessed with it." Yixing paused again to collect his thoughts before continuing. "When Kris came to the shop I saw us basically married with children. Growing old together! I kinda freaked out! I think Kris shared the vision too which also never happens."

"So your plan was to run away? Just avoid Kris and your possible future lives of domestic bliss?" Luhan asked in a much louder voice than was typically acceptable in the quiet cafe.

"According to what my grandmother said it could be very bad to ignore the message but it seems selfish for me to follow up on the vision." Yixing sighed as he stirred his cooling cup of tea distractedly.

"Could the vision just be Kris' wish and you happen to be his destined love?" Sehun asked in a hushed tone, hoping to not add more stress to his already overloaded friend.

"But why did we both see it? Why was it so detailed? We were on a date in a park, a second later we were watching a fireworks show on New Year's Eve and in less than a blink I saw us sitting on a porch sipping coffee as our kids played in the yard!" Yixing wailed quietly, mindful of their surroundings. "I may have accidently kissed him, too." He whispers hoping his friends might not hear that part.

"YOU WHAT?" Luhan shrieked as he choked on his tea in shock.

He should have known nothing slipped past Luhan. "It was an accident!" Yixing whined. "I was trying to get him out the door and the feelings from the vision were so vivid, it just happened!"

Luhan looked to Sehun for help, but the man was just nodding understandingly like 'accidentally' kissing someone was an everyday occurrence.

"No wonder Kris was so weird when he got back to the office. He probably hasn't been kissed by anyone since the dinosaurs roamed the earth." Luhan mumbled, earning him a nudge in his ribs from his boyfriend.

"What?" Luhan mouths silently, giving Sehun the full effect of his deer eyes.

"Be nice." Sehun whispers back, not seeming to be fazed by the innocent baby face.

"It's the truth! Kris is all work, work, work with no time for a personal life ever since I've known him and we've worked together from the first day he opened Wu Corp." Luhan said in his version of a whisper.

Sehun's solution for silencing his boyfriend was to kiss the slight pout of Luhan's lips.

It worked like magic. Luhan was left speechless by the sneak attack.

Sehun turned his attention calmly back to Yixing while Luhan blinked mutely at his boyfriend.  

"What are you going to do now?" Sehun prompted when Yixing remained silent.

"Well I can't run away even though that was my first impulse." Yixing admitted. "I'm not going to attach myself to a stranger though either. So I will leave the next move up to Kris."

"What! No, no, no, no, nooooo!" Luhan said finally coming back to earth. "If you wait for Kris to make a move you'll both end up being single as seniors!" He wailed as he slapped a hand over Sehun's mouth to stop another sneak attack. Sehun chuckled at his love's enthusiasm.

"If we are meant to be together than it will happen." Yixing said, seeming calmer as he spoke and coming to accept what couldn't be changed.

Needless to say, Kris wasn't ready or willing to give in to his destiny. He tried to pretend Yixing and the entire redevelopment project didn't exist. But his employees, good friends that they are, wouldn't let it go.

Quite by accident the three top executives of the Wu Corporation discovered their boss wasn't as disinterested as he liked to pretend. One day, Jongdae asked Luhan if he and Sehun would be going to Yixing's party and suddenly the unmistakable blonde head of their boss come to a stop right outside Luhan's office door.

It happened again when Yixing' s name came up in conversation and the CEO suddenly needed to tie his shoe lace (he was wearing boots). And again when the guys were chatting, Kris urgently needed a file he was sure he'd left in Jongdae's office (he basically stood around occasionally rustling papers until the others went back to work).

Baekhyun being Baekhyun decided to have some fun one day. "Jongdae, are you going to 'Heart's Desire' for Min's birthday present?" He asked in a louder than normal voice while they were enjoying lunch in the break room. Sure enough, a tall blonde suddenly found the painting of an egg that had been hanging in the same space  forever, but was located right outside the break area, extremely fascinating.

Jongdae was busy heating his lunch, so he simply hummed in agreement but Luhan quickly caught on to what was happening and chimed in with his version of mischief.

"Have you guys heard about that really hot guy that's been visiting the shop a lot recently? His name is Suho, I think, and he keeps taking Yixing out for tea and what not." Luhan asked innocently, while hiding his devilish grin behind his sandwich. "He even took him to the posh spot ‘2ne1’, where you need reservations years ahead of time or you have to know the right people."

Luhan glanced over at the door to see Kris' upper body leaning closer to the open doorway while his feet were still planted in front of the “artwork”.

"But Yixing said he was just hanging out with Suho as a friend. Apparently Suho has a boyfriend who's currently on tour in China. I think he said his name is Chen. You know the angelic singer with the killer cheekbones and razor-sharp jawline." Jongdae said as he poked at his steaming plate of lasagna.

"Ummm. He's all lean muscle." Baekhyun mumbled as he paused in his chewing, staring off into space. "What?" He asked, snapping out of his daze when he realized all eyes were glued on him.

Jongdae and Luhan just gave him the raised brow of disbelief.

"Whatever. Chanyeol is hotter anyway." Baekhyun mumbled, discreetly blotting his mouth with his napkin.

"But there was that other guy who seemed quite smitten with our favorite shop owner." Jongdae finally caught on to what was going on from all Luhan's head nods and finger points at the doorway. "He has tattoos apparently and Yixing thinks body art is 'y'" He said with a wrinkled nose.

During his intense art appreciation, Kris may have leaned so far towards the break room that his feet were at a 45°angle from his body. No one in the room commented on their boss' odd behavior but they did exchange amused glances.

After lunch Kris made a mental more to get a tattoo. Something tasteful like a dragon, somewhere where it wouldn't show at work but could be displayed while shopping or hanging out with friends. Of course he'd been planning on getting one since forever. It had nothing to do with anything he'd accidentally overheard in the break room.