Chapter 12

Creeping In Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER TWELVE; THE ELEMENTS.

Among the noises coming from behind her, Lee could hear her feet splashing in the mud that rose to cover her body and her heavy breathing came out in pants that exuded pure panic. It wasn't the first time Lee had fallen when a vine wrapped around her ankle and took her down. She screamed and mud seeped into her clothing even more as she closed her eyes, hoping this fall wouldn't hurt. There was a loud swoop that made Lee roll away, she opened her eyes in bewilderment to see the Knave of Hearts aiming to swing his sword at her again. Horses closed in on her, the men controlling them trying to form a barrier around her as she scampered back from the Knaves attacks.

"I won't let you get away!" The Knave bellowed, swooping at her again. The silk tied to her waist weighed Lee down when she was finally able to scramble to her feet and though she was terrified of the possible harm it may cause her, she forced her way between two horses and out of the reach of the Knave of Hearts with his sword unseethed and swinging through the cold bitterness of the night air. With the trees thinning out above her, Lee would have hoped for the moon to help her see, but she still slipped and stumbled over rocks and tree stumps as she made her escape.

"Get her!" The order was barked and despite her limbs wanting to give up, she defied them and ran faster using the adrenaline that was pulsing through her. As if she were taking sharp turns in a maze, Lee zipped and weaved, trying to lose those gaining on her. Nothing was working. She could still hear them behind her, getting to close for comfort when she heard the growlingly familiar swoosh of a sword taking a jab at her. Lee cried out, the sword cut through the back in her clothing, drawing blood and exposing her skin to the frosted air and her legs shook underneath her as she tried to push on.

"Move faster! She cannot run forever!" But she tried her best to do just that. She willed herself to keep running, until she fell again, collapsing as the levels in the earth beneath her changed and she went downhill. She tumbled over sharp protruding rocks and smacked into the trunks of trees. Even as the plants snatched and whipped in her direction in attempt to grab her, it couldn't slow down the motion of her body falling. Lee closed her eyes and hoped for the best, she bit her lip so that she wouldn't cry out in pain, but found that was a mistake of its own when her head bounced away from the mud and her clamped down too hard on the piece of flesh, drawing blood and adding to her growing list of injuries. Lee didn't move immediately when her body came to a stop at the end of the fall. She didn't want to open her eyes as her whole body pulsed in an indescribable pain, only hurting more when her body shook in protest of the cold. Dread was lying over her like a thick winter blanket. She could hear that her chasers had somehow made it down in a safer manner than she had but she still couldn't' move, feeling pathetic when she opened her eyes, trying to push herself up on arms that shook under her own weight.

"The girl!" Cracks of lightning broke out around her, as if she were being protected and Lee looked up with quivering lips to find Chen standing over her, his back to her as his hands worked to manipulate the bolts of lightning around them. There were cries all around her, Lee brought up her arm to cover her eyes as Baekhyun took pillar behind Chen, covering his back and warding off any attacks that came from that way.

"Let's get you on your feet Lee" Lay appeared before her and the girl gaped at him, feeling the warm touch of the one that they had come looking for to begin with.

"Lay" She gasped out as his warmth spread over her and the pain that kept her on the ground was suddenly disappearing.

"We have to get out of here" His eyes werent as glazed as Lee remembered them to normally be and she stood up on a pair of legs that shook now because of the overwhelming fear that Lay's gift couldn't take away.

"Roll out!" Bakehyun shrilled over the sound of panicked horses and angry men. There were the snarls of a beast on their heels, nipping at them and chasing them through the woods as they all made their next attempt at an escape.

"Scram mutt!" Chen commanding for bolts of lightning to shoot towards the animal. With a yelp, the dog threw itself away, the large body of the hound sliding through the mud as it let out strangled growls.

"Keep moving!" Lay had a tight grip on Lee's hand, tugging her along as he seemingly memorized the safest route to take, ducking under tree branches and avoiding the roots and rocks on the ground. Lee's throat burnt and she didn't know how long she had been following him before she was being thrown to the ground once again.

"I can't hear them anymore" Baekhyun panted as they slowed down.

"We've lost them for now" Chen agreed as they all stood panting, their breaths forming in front of them as they all looked around with alert eyes and ears.

"What were you even doing coming out here Lay?" Lee asked the missing boy as they all huffed and all eyes turned to him as he tried to form an answer.

"DUCK!" Chen was suddenly blustering and Lee was throwing herself into the mud without a second thought. A flame flew over them and they all watched as it collided with an unfortunate tree and spread itself to the ones in reach.

"RUN!" Baekhyun yipped and they were back on their feet and sprinting away from the mess of fire behind them.

"Ack!" Lay squawked, skidding to a stop only for Lee to bump into the person he was trying to dodge.

"Lee!"

"Chanyeol!" The confused girl exclaimed when the fire controller grabbed onto her with roast temperature hands.

"Park Chanyeol!" Baekhyun quipped, he was breathing heavily and pointing at the fiery male and then behind him.

"Fix it!" He barked and Chanyeol looked at the burning trees behind him sadly.

"Down!" Lay pushed Lee and the pair dropped to the floor of the earth again as Chanyeol rose his hand and all of the flames flew towards him, almost burning the pair to a crisp.

"Whew, that was close" Chanyeol patted his hands against his muddy clothes when the flames were gone and Lay got up, pulling Lee up with him.

"You don't say" Lee grumbled.

"Yo, you seen the others?" Chen asked Chanyeol who shook his head.

"I've been running from some guy on a horse! I'm going to have nightmares!" Chanyeol exclaimed, his hands reaching up to tug at his hair and Lee made sure to bring his hands away from his head so that he couldn't bring any more damage to himself.

"Well, we've found Lay and we've found each other, now we just have to find the others" Baekhyun proclaimed, putting one foot before the other, marching off in a random direction.

"And a way out" Chen followed his friend and Lay took Lee's hand again.

"I don't think we should lose them" He muttered.

"Stick close Chanyeol" Lee made sure the male was following them, turning back to watch where she was going once she was satisfied with knowing he was close behind them.

"Things would probably be easier if we could find Kai" Baekhyun and Chen were doing their usual chatter at the head of the group, a strange sense of calm overcoming them all as they tried to move quickly so that they could find the others sooner.

"Everything in here looks the same, so on the other hand, how much help would his gift be?" Chen refuted and Baekhyun shook his head, casually making an incoming Venus flytrap hiss and avoid his bright beam of light.

"Who do you think we'll find next?" Lee asked Lay, striking up a conversation with the boy that was still holding her hand, she could feel Chanyeol bumping her shoulder as he walked closer to her other side.

"Hmm, I just want to find everyone and go home"

"That sounds nice right about now, going home with everyone" Lee nodded.

"I want to find Suho," Chanyeol told the pair and they both looked at him, awaiting a further explanation for why the water boy should be seen next.

"He's calm and rational, he'll know what to do" Chanyeol nodded to show he was certain of his choice.

"I think we should curve a bit"

"Nonsense, just keep walking this way" Baekhyun argued with Chen up ahead and Lee took in a deep breath, agreeing with Chanyeol.

"We could really do with some rationality right now"

------------

The wind outside was terrifying. They could all feel it and it was hard not to when it was pushing them right into the menacing open arms of the trees, followed by vines holding rocks, ready to cause destructed to their captured prey.

"Sehun must be beyond livid right now" Lay had commented at one stage. He had made a tree so relaxed and free from any pain that its grip on Chen slinked away and the tree bowed as if it had fallen asleep, Lee had the decency to listen for any snores but no sounds came from the tree, at least not over the loud whistle of the wind she was struggling to stand through.

"I don't think I can move much further!" Lee had to yell over the destruction of the wind and Chanyeol put one of his extremely warm hands in the center of her back, helping her push forward as they squinted to see where they were going.

"Keep going!" Chanyeol yelled at her, not letting up with his pushing and Lee fought on. She could feel the mud being stipped from her, leaving stains on her clothes as it flew away with the continuous gust of wind that was attacking them.

"What is Sehun doing?!" Baekhyun exclaimed and he grabbed onto a tree despite the high possibility of the tree trying to digest him.

"Grab onto something!" Lay gasped, sliding back through the mud and quickly latching onto a boulder. Lee grabbed onto Chanyeol and the two crouched behind the boulder that Lay was pressed flush against, trying to avoid the wind storm.

------------

Kai was dizzy and he was exhausted. Everything around him looked the same and he could feel himself going in circles as he flicked his head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter