Slate

Twelve Majestic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo's POV

“What are you reading?”

I snapped my head up when I heard Jongdae talking to Hani. The flower that was growing in my hand withered and dying, turned into mere black dust before it was blown away by air. Hani looked up in surprise at Jongdae, not believing that he had talked to her. His stare fell down to the book she was holding under the sheet of paper she had scribbled something on to help Chanyeol’s speech.

“Err, nothing,” she quickly closed the small book and placed it under her leg, where no one could see the title. I tried to peek at the book from where I was sitting, but she noticed and shot me a glare, hiding it more under her thighs. I only smirked.

“Kyungsoo hyung,” I snapped my head up when I heard Kai calling me, and the taller boy sat gingerly beside me, expression glum. I gave Hani and Jongdae one more stare, realizing that the girl had called Chanyeol once again to resume their speech exercises, before looking back at Jongin with furrowed eyebrows.

“What's wrong with you? You look down,” I asked him right away, and Jongin blew on a sigh before looking down at his toes. He wasn't wearing any of the shoes Hani had bought him, which wasn't something to be worried about because Kai never was a fan of shoes that much.

“Jongdae hyung doesn't speak with me,” Kai mumbled, looking sad and distraught. I never was fond of emotions and all that sentimental crap, it made me feel weak.

“It's not something new to be honest, he had always been crap for a step-brother,” I sighed through my nose, my eyes following after Hani, who was smiling in encouragement at Chanyeol who looked beaten up for not being able to speak.

“He’s not a crappy step-brother,” Jongin protested weakly, and I turned to him with an annoyed face. “He had went through so much and I—“

“Here we go again, Jongin. Goddamn it, whatever happened in the past isn't an excuse for treating you so horribly,” I snapped, and Kai sulked even more. He curled around himself like a ing baby and I was urged to face palm. Rolling my eyes, I turned to look at Hani, a scowl on my face. “You both shared the same horrible father. It's unfair he's putting all of the weight on you when you are merely a victim.”

“You wouldn't understand…” he mumbled weakly, looking so distraught and fragile that I felt the same. I didn't like it when my friends – even Jongdae, felt so helpless and sad. Again, emotions are weaknesses I would like to kill.

“Of course I wouldn't understand, I’ve never had an older half brother who blames me for my father’s disappearance. I surely wouldn't understand,” I said sarcastically, and Kai sent me a weak glare that honestly reminded me of a drenched dog. He had always been soft.

“You’re awfully mean these days,” he commented, and I shot him a fake smile. I don't know what he was talking about.

“What do you mean? I’ve always been mean,” I replied plainly, a bitter taste of something on my tongue. I didn't know why I had reacted in that way when I knew exactly what he was talking about.

“You’d like to believe that, so you acted like it. Why? Is it because of Hani?” I sniffed at his words, squinting my eyes at him threateningly. What does Hani have to do with any of this? At my stare, Kai relented, but he still wasn't having enough of his interrogation.

“If it isn't Hani then what? You are usually mean but ever since we found you, you are meaner, and you snap a lot.”

“And you are being a chatterbox. Tell me, is that because of Hani?” I dodged the question skillfully. It wasn't because I didn't know what the cause of that was, but more that I didn't want to discuss it with anyone; because my answer depends upon my feelings and that was the only thing that had weakened me, that had made me the person I am today, and I don't think I want to connect to that part of my life anymore. It had weakened me greatly before, and I don't want that to happen again.

Jongin flushed red entirely, and he stared at me with horror clear in his eyes. His cheeks were crimson, and his eyes were widened, and I let my lips curl in the corners in a half smile. He was quick to defend his stand.

“What? N-no! That's not true. Who told you that?”

“Please,” I snorted. “It's so obvious you have feelings for the girl. I really don't care, but why Hani? She's so fragile,” I protested softly, snorting and looking at him like he was crazy. Kai looked offended, and he turned to look at the girl currently joking with Chanyeol, ruffling his hair so he wouldn't feel so bad. I stared at Jongin, noticing how his eyes gleamed in something extraordinary that I couldn't exactly decipher. Something soft, gentle and.. strong.

“She makes me feel safe,” I heard him mumble, his eyes still looking over at the girl, and when she noticed his stare she smiled at him; he lit up in heat and looked away. I couldn't snort at the ridiculous sight of him, because his words pierced something in my heart. Still, I protested again.

“She makes you feel safe? I’m surprised, because you are the one with the superpower.”

“Not that kind of safe,” he actually looked annoyed, as if he were absolutely frustrated with what I was saying; and it was my turn to be offended, but I didn't say anything. “It's a different kind of safe, the kind you wouldn't exactly understand because you like to believe you don't have feelings.”

“I do not have feelings!” I shot him a look, realizing that my eyes must’ve look so wide like saucers. He merely scoffed.

“Kyungsoo hyung, who exactly are you trying to deceive? You are the boy with the most feelings I’ve ever seen in my life, you just pretend otherwise. I remember you getting angry when someone steps on flowers or already fallen leaves, or when you see kids playing while their parents gossip around because you think they're being irresponsible.” I was stunned, because I’m not like that anymore, and I didn't think he’d remember all these things from three hundred years ago; when we were still humans.

“Exactly, Hyung. If you thought we are all believing this façade you're wearing, then you’re dead wrong.” He looked away stubbornly from me, like a child throwing tantrums. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked the other side, and I believed even I was doing the same.

Seconds later, Hani came jogging towards us and sat in front Jongin and I, patting the ground besides her so the rest would gather around. I sent her a glare because why the hell did she sit right in front of me? And she only poked her tongue out at me. So childish. Joonmyeon and Xiumin Hyung sat on one side of her, while Sehun sat on the other one. Jongdae and Lay hyung stared at one another, wondering if they should join. Hani shot them a smile in encouragement, and they slipped beside Joonmyeon and Xiumin silently, the former patting their shoulders like the leader he was.

We all looked at Baekhyun, waitin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter