Midnight

Twelve Majestic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Junior year! I’m Sora and I’ve sent this message to all of the Juniors. At Saturday, a party reunion-sort of thing will be held at clubhouse Washington at Six O’clock PM. All of you should come and party before our Senior year starts. Send Aye! Back and I’ll text you the address. Xoxo.”


I stared at the text message sent by an unknown number, whom I knew belonged to Sora at her declaration. I remembered Sora. She was that popular extroverted girl who was bubbly and too nice to hate. Everyone knew her as the girl who liked to party, and since her and I were on the same page about partying, I was always invited to her parties. We weren't friends, more like colleagues who respected each other. I wondered silently where she got my number, but this was Sora, she knew everyone, and I’m sure she could have gotten my number from anyone she wanted.


I locked my phone and stuffed it under my pillow. It was late in the morning, and I was supposed to be fast asleep, but somehow I couldn't. The boy in my dreams hadn't been in my dreams lately, and Chanyeol’s words from three days ago still rang a bell in my head loudly. It felt like every time I tried to forget, the words themselves inside my head, ringing and dancing vigorously as if calling for attention. I tried shaking the words away, but they shocked me, Chanyeol shocked me. I didn't know he had thought that about my Aura before. I had always known I was a little strong, but it never crossed my mind that Chanyeol was reminded of the witch upon my presence. The thoughts were unsettling, but I couldn't simply ignore them. There was a reason Chanyeol saw the witch in me, and I’m not sure I wanted to know what.

I stood up from the bed and took my phone again, sending an Aye with a lot of exclamation marks. I decided to head out, wondering if any cafeterias were open at the moment. I decided not to call the boys out, because I felt like I needed some space alone.

I closed the door behind me slowly, hoping not to wake any of the triplets from their deep sleep. I headed downstairs on the same steps. Light, small and feathery. My stomach was roaring with hunger, and I was reminded of how I’m always hungry whenever I wake up from my slumber. I stared around me at the deserted space of the two adjoining buildings, dim light falling down on the spacious emptiness of the ground.

I stared in front of me at the canteen, and there was a faint light reflecting over it. I noticed a small figure sitting down on one of  the many chairs provided, and the closer I got, the more visible the figure appeared to be. 

“Oh, you can't sleep too?” I immediately greeted when I saw her. Lisa lifted her head up at me, the previous boredom in her eyes disappeared into a vexing glare. Lisa didn't reply, and looked down at her fingers resting on the table. I took a seat in front of her, suddenly extremely rejuvenated than before, a smile taking over my face. I almost forgot about my hunger, but when I turned around to see the cafeteria closed, I pouted.

“I’m so hungry..” I moaned in distress, peeking up and catching Lisa in mid-rolling her eyes. “When did it close?”

“The workers need sleep too!” Lisa snapped before I can even register if what I had said was right. I jumped at her tone, blinking my eyes. “Of course it would be close. It's two in the morning!”

“Okay..” I murmured softly, my cheeks burning a little as the embarrassment flooded within me at my stupid words. “I didn't mean it that way. I just thought they’d be working in different shifts.”

“What the hell? Why would they work in shifts? We are supposed to be asleep, you know. If we get caught, we will be sent into detention in a whole month,” Lisa continued, this time biting on one of her fingers anxiously, and I wondered if she were scared about getting caught. She didn't seem the kind of girl to get scared over rules, but the type to break them. Although, her position as a student's council president was another thing altogether. 

“Why are you awake?” I decided to ask, although I was sure she wouldn't answer. Surprisingly, she sighed through her nose and brought a hand over her face.

“I have insomnia. I can never sleep at night unless with music, and I forgot to charge my phone so I’m waiting for it to charge at least until it's halfway filled,” she blew out another sigh, closing her eyes and massaging her lids tangibly. 

“Oh,” I let out awkwardly. I was never good with conversations with a new person. “I don't have insomnia, but I couldn't sleep as well,” at that, Lisa snorted, and I swore I saw a small curve of a smile on her lips. After a few minutes of silence, with me checking my phone, and Lisa staring at her fingers, I felt her piercing stare on my head, and I turned to look at her with confusion. She was staring at me.

“Your warriors…” she started speaking, clearing at the obvious strain in her tone, composing herself and hiding the redness in her cheeks with her fists. “You treat them differently. I’m sure you’ve faced a lot of.. difficulties.”

“You seem to know of those difficulties,” I caught on her tone. She obviously knew about this before, and I had noticed before her intense stares on my warriors before. At first sight, I had thought wrongly of her, that she too didn't like the way I was treating my warriors, but after I caught the longing in her gaze, I realized I was wrong. Lisa coughed once more, avoiding my stare, before opening to elaborate.

“I don't really know, I’ve just seen how you told Joonki off. I was surprised,” she shrugged as if she didn't care that much. I thought she was being cautious more than she should, although I couldn't blame her. She didn't seem like a trusting type of girl. 

“Well, he was an ,” I snorted. “Who does he think he is? Just because he's a Wielder and all that jazz. I hate those kind of people; the cocky type who thinks they’re allowed to treat others in the ways they want because they have the upper hand, disgusting,” I pretended to be grossed out, ticking my tongue out. I saw a small smile grace Lisa’s lips, and I realized at that exact moment that she was a lot more beautiful smiling than scowling. I allowed my own smile to form as well.

“That's definitely a different perspective than most of the kids in here,” Lisa spoke in a soft sound, looking down at the table cloth and allowing a lock of hair to fall down her cheeks. “You realize you’ll face rejection, right? You’ll be ridiculed, taunted and laughed out, and teachers won’t help you. Are you sure you’re ready to face that kind of treatment?” her question was something I had asked myself countless of times, when my parents first explained the society to me, when I had Sehun, when Joonmyeon was acting in an extremely causal way, when Baekhyun doubted me, when I had my first battle, when the triplets mocked me. I asked myself countless of times if I wanted to continue down that path, and as if enlightened, I found the answer faster than I thought it would take me.

“Yes, Lisa. I’ve been ready since the first time I stumbled into this world.”

 

 

I gathered my stuff in a backpack and slung it around my shoulders, twisting around to face the boys who were loitering around, waiting for me to finish.

“My parents will be here in approximately…” I paused to glance down at my wrist watch with squinted eyebrows. “… fourteen minutes. Lets go!”

“You seem enthusiastic,” Joonmyeon commented on the skips of my steps while closing the door of the dorm behind him. I turned to him and caught the smile on his face. I remembered almost right away that I hadn't told them about the party invitation that I was so excited about.

“Yes, I forgot to mention it before, but I had received an invitation from an old colleague about a party and I’m excited to attend it,” I explained, smiling at Joonmyeon. 

“You don't look like the type to be excited over a party,” Kyungsoo blurted carelessly, his wide eyes squinted. He was playing with the two strings of his pine-colored hoodie, and I visualized him as a child with the way half of his face was hidden inside the hood. 

“There are a lot of things you don't know about me, Kyungsoo,” I playfully rolled my eyes at him, but all my bubbling happiness disappeared when I was reminded of Chanyeol’s words. I think, even I don't myself. I would have never thought I would have a similarity with a witch. I caught Chanyeol’s stare from the corner of my eyes, and his wide eyes filled with innocence stared back at me. The boys looked all neutral, and I wondered if Chanyeol didn't tell them about what he sensed.   

“I’m sure they're not interesting enough to know,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at me, swinging his arms back and forth with his grip tight around the strings. He appeared nonchalant and bored, but he looked extremely childish and adorable with that action.

“I think they are.” Kai mumbled behind us, while I simultaneously waved at my mother a few miles away from us. She sent me an awkward smile, her eyes flicking to the boys around anxiously. I guess Mom would never be able to get

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter